“Disappointing and Unimpressive”

Hotel Montebello Splendid
Ranked #83 of 410 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed June 21, 2013

We stayed in room 54 of this hotel when our tour changed the itinerary. We were looking forward to staying at Hotel Brunelleschi, but we were switched to the Montebello Splendid Hotel. I was not impressed.

First, the hotel was in a poor location; far from the city center. You must walk a long distance before getting to the shops, restaurants and attractions.

The lobby seemed old and outdated and the hallways to the rooms were kind of dark and dingy. The room was small, but the beds were comfortable and the bathroom was clean. The only view we had was looking out into the small and unimpressive courtyard. However, the courtyard in the front of the hotel is nice.

The service was unfriendly and unpleasant.

There are much better choices in Florence and I would not stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Jodi101
MontebelloSplendid, Direttore generale at Hotel Montebello Splendid, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2013

Dear Jodi101,
Many thanks for your review about your recent stay at Montebello Splendid. I regret to read that you were not impressed by our hotel. The hotel Brunelleschi was overbooked and relocated your at our hotel. Rooms were assigned randomly to your group and many other direct feedback are very positive. I’m not also very sure that you would have a better view and larger standard room at the original hotel, but this doesn’t change that much.
Our lobby and lounge were refurnished just few years ago, respecting the neo-classical style that an old city like Florence teach worldwide.
On behalf of the whole team I wish you all the best.

Reviewed June 10, 2013

I booked through last minute.com and thought I got a reasonable deal it is amazing though how the cost creeps up when you add on 20 euro's each for breakfast and 30 euro's for car parking - maybe I didn't get such a good deal!. Price aside the hotel is in a quiet upmarket residential area and the room was very spacious in fact it felt more like an apartment. It is a pleasant 10 - 15 minute walk into the centre of Florence. The bed however was scrumptious and the sleep quality excellent. Despite my moaning about the price of breakfast I will admit the range of food and quality was good.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
MontebelloSplendid, General Manager at Hotel Montebello Splendid, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2013

Dear benhamparty
Thank you for staying with us and for sharing you positive experience at Montebello Splendid. I’m very pleased that you enjoyed the hotel location and the quality of the sleep. Our quite area and comfortable beds is a kind of our signature.
I recommend for the next time to book the B&B rate arrangement, so you can have our delicious breakfast at a very competitive price. If you consider 20 euro to expensive, what would you think of our competitor’s rate that is between 30 to 45 euro?
Parking in Florence is very expensive and at charge for any visitors as it is in Rome, Milan, Paris, London, New York etc.. Parking in the streets is allowed only for resident. Florence is a medieval town with more than one thousand year history and developed in an era when cars didn’t exist. At any hotel you stay in the city centre you will be charged from a minimum of €25 to €45 valet service excluded (as our competitors 5 stars hotel do). The public unsecured parking cost is €3,00 per hour in the spot in the city centre. The Montebello Splendid is one of the 3 hotels in the city centre that have a private underground garage directly connected to the lobby. Before stating that the 30 euro charge is exorbitant, you should check at other properties where you also would be charged for each valet service. I assure you that many of our repeater guests really appreciate this facility and consider it very convenient compared to the service offered by other hotels they stayed before.
On behalf of the whole team, I thank you again for staying with us and I wish to be able to welcome you again in our beautiful city.

All the best,

Reviewed June 7, 2013

If your looking for a very nice and cozy hotel that is close to almost everything in Florence, this would be a good choice. We actually stayed here twice in the same trip, once for 3 days prior to leaving for Milan and then when we returned from our cruise for one additional night. About a half a mile from the train station, Pointe Vecchia, some really good leather stores and some of the best 'local' restaurants, enjoy your stay here. Not the least expensive hotel we could have chosen, but very well appointed and friendly people. You'll need to know at least a few words in Italian, although they do speak English. Easier on them if you know how to ask for a taxi, where are a few good restaurants, how to get to the train station on foot, etc. Pointe Vecchia is quite close and many shops line the street along the riverfront which is 2 blocks from the hotel entrance. Easy walk to the Pointe. Book the hotel with breakfast included of which they do a nice job of setting up the buffet with fresh fruits, pastries, eggs, yogurts, and fresh juices.
No Pool or spa that we could find, but I wasn't really looking for it either.

Room Tip: ask for room 206
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Steven P
Reviewed May 30, 2013

We spent six days at this beautiful hotel. We loved our room and had a fantastic balcony but found the bathroom very small and cluttered. Some people would have had trouble with the tub/shower as you practically had to step over the toilet and bidet to get into the tub. There was also no space for toiletries and personal items.

That said, the rest was perfect. Front desk staff was very friendly and helpful and the hotel restaurant and bar were great. We also found several good restaurants in the neighborhood. We loved the location as it got us away from the busiest part of the city while being within easy walking distance from all the places we wanted to see. Would definitely recommend this hotel for your visit to Florence.

• Stayed: May 2013
MontebelloSplendid, General Manager at Hotel Montebello Splendid, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2013

Dear Farende,
Thank you very much for posting your positive review about your long stay at Montebello Splendid. I’m very pleased that in the whole period you stayed with us you had chance to appreciate the homelike style and friendly attitude of the staff. We all are committed to offer a pleasant and memorable stay in Florence. I’m also very pleased to read the you enjoyed also the hotel quite location with plenty of services just steps away.
On behalf of the whole staff I’d like to thank you again for staying with us and to say to you arrivederci to the next occasion.

Reviewed May 30, 2013

I cannot warn you enough to stay away from this hotel. I have stayed in a very wide variety of hotels from bottom of the heap in the middle of no where in a pinch to 5 star. This hotel above all others was the worst experience of my 45 years of living. First of all, we arrived to a room with torn Duvets. Then while putting away our clothing into the closet we found a huge amount of dried vomit in there. Apparently, this is not new for them. A friend of ours in Florence actually cringed when I told him we were staying there. He stated that many of his business associates ( he has a large textile business) had stayed there and all had NEVER returned to that hotel secondary to the rudeness and uncleanliness. Even if I had been able to give a zero I would have given a one simply because of the beauty of the courtyard.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Kathy A

Dear Kathy A
We all are terribly sorry for not being able to offer you a good experience here in Florence. My colleague noticed your rude reaction in front of the inconvenient occurred and we were sure that this would have been the final result.
No excuse, in one of your 4 duvet in the room there was a small scratch that the maid didn’t notice when replacing. It was promptly replaced with a new one. In the room assigned to you there is a walk-in closed with a sliding door inside the wall. My colleague confirmed that there was some dust on the back of the door which is usually kept open. She apologized with you and arranged for the prompt cleaning and a special gift from our side. No way it was vomit.
We do have a large amount of repeat guests both leisure and business that appreciate the location, the cleanliness and the great value for money of our hotel. Of course this type of small inconvenient can always occur even if we all are committed to offer immaculate service. We will keep high the level of attention in order to avoid similar episode in the future.
Once again, on behalf of the housekeeping, I renew my apologize and I take this opportunity to wish to your family all the best.

Reviewed May 29, 2013

Nice clean hotel, interesting decor and a Jacuzzi bath made this a comfortable stay. The front desk, porter and bar staff were all friendly and helpful and the bar was reasonably well stocked ;)

The hotel was about 10 minutes walk from the station and 10-15 minutes walk from Ponte Vecchio and the Uffizi gallery so it allowed us to not be in the hustle and bustle of the city centre but get to that quickly.

Beware... in Florence no matter what hotel you stay in, with the river so close you are going to be EATEN ALIVE - so take lots of mosquito repellent!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Julie W, many thanks for staying at Montebello Splendid and for posting your positive experience with us. I’m very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and that you found a friendly and helpful attitude from all the staff. Your satisfaction is our greatest reward. I’m also pleased that you enjoyed our quite and convenient location for a peaceful rest after a full day sightseeing.
I look forward to welcome you again in Florence and I wish you all the best on behalf of all my colleagues.

Kind regards,

Reviewed May 28, 2013

I stayed at the Montebello Splendid for 2 nights last week on the recommedation of a friend. I was not disappointed. This is a very nice, quiet, well-run hotel. It feels like you are staying in the private residence of a royal. If you are looking for wild night life and lots of people to watch it is not for you, but if you want a nice quiet place to relax where you feel like a special guest in a beautiful palace then you will like this place.

I also had dinner in the restaurant and the service and food were superb. I expected to pay a premium for the meal there, but found it to be comparable to other restaurants that I tried in Florence and actaully a better value.

I would recommend this hotel to almost anyone with the possible exception of families with little children or young adults looking for excitement.

Stayed January 2009

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo

Dear Bdktravelsworld,
Many thanks for atying at Montebello Splendid and sharing your positive experience with other travellers. It’s a great pleasue to read your satisfaction about the service we provided to you and you appreciation for the food and service at our restaurant capriccio. You well catch the value compared to some local popular restaurant in town. You also well enjoyed the philosophy of our boutique hotel which is quite different from big 5 stars hotel chain properties.
It will be a pleasure to welcome you again in our beautiful city on the next occasion. Feel free to contact us anytime for any assistance to plan your vacation in advance.

Kind regards,