“Slow Day in Tuscany -- Priceless!!!”

A Slow Day in Tuscany
Ranked #139 of 349 Tours in Florence
More attraction details
Owner description: 'Slow day in Tuscany'offered by Slow-Days® takes you to a family owned vineyard for wine tasting, a charming medieval hill town and full meal at a Tuscan Slow Food restaurant. Not so much a tour as a chance to meet the locals.
Reviewed November 27, 2012

The Slow Day in Tuscany was one of the best days my husband and I have ever spent! We LOVED every minute of it. Simon was the perfect host -- knowledgeable and fun! He knew the area well and we enjoyed getting to know him. We were on the tour with two other people and we all had so much fun that I feel we'll be lifelong friends! The weather in Tuscany was perfect to experience the countryside and enjoy the views. When we arrived at the vineyard, Fernando and family were harvesting olives for their olive oil. We were then able to taste some of the oil as part of our wine-tasting. The wine tasting was perfect -- the meats, olive oil, wines and homemade biscotti were all superb!!! Fernando was a perfect host as well. After touring the spectacular town of Montefioralle, we ate lunch in Graeve-in-Chianti. It was one of the most excellent, enjoyable meals we've ever experienced. The food has phenomenal and the conversation was fabulous! We then walked through the town and were able to shop for meats and cheeses that had been served earlier that day at the wine-tasting. We followed that with a stop at a castle with more incredible views. As I said earlier, it was a perfect day!!! Thank you, Simon, for the time of our life and the highlight of our trip!!!

3  Thank PamSteveW

Reviewed October 26, 2012

We were pleasantly surprised when we found out the tour was going to be just for the 2 of us and Simon (the owner and guide of this tour). Simon knows the area and the people, it was a pleasure having him as a guide, open to answer any question regarding the wine making, the history of the area, and the local culture, and if he was not sure of an answer, he said we could ask Fernando Sieni, the owner and family resident in this area for generations, in Montefioralle, where we stopped for wine tasting. Luckily when we arrived at Fernando's they were hand picking some of the grapes, and Fernando happily invited us to see the process, Simon also explained us the whole process followed at Fernando's farm, very traditional, maintaining the culture passed to him by his dad and him passing it to his son and daughter. No doubt the highlight of this trip was meeting Fernando and to have the chance to talk to him. And we enjoyed very much tasting the different wines made at Fernando's, on top of the great conversation. After that, we strolled beautiful Montefioralle with Simon, went for lunch at a small family own restaurant , visited another small town which on that day had an open market on the main town square, and had a quick visit to the grounds of a castle that was preparing for a wedding. Never felt rushed, and in fact just sorry that it ended, Simon was a great host more than a tour guide. Really recommended!

3  Thank brvancouver
Reviewed October 20, 2012

Our slow day with Simon in the vine-draped hills of Tuscany was definitely a highlight of our 16 days in Italy in September. Simon never takes more than 8 clients at a time, but my wife and I were his only passengers on this trip and his attention was completely focused on our endless curiosity. We scrambled through vineyards tasting grapes and then visited a charming family-run vineyard where grapes have been grown for six centuries. At the winery we tasted excellent samples of Tuscan wines and olive oil and learned about local wine-making techniques. The olive oil was almost more spectacular than the wine. Next, we visited a walled medieval hill town, Montefioralle, that overlooked the vineyard. Although it is said to be largely unchanged for the last 400 years, it looks like it was built for a Hollywood movie location. After lunch at an excellent restaurant in Greve-in-Chianti, the home of the annual chianti wine festival, we stopped for more wine-tasting at a spectacular castle built in the 10th Century, then back to Florence. Anyone who is visiting Florence and yearns to experience the Tuscan countryside should arrange a slow day with Simon.

1  Thank Bill_Barb_544
Reviewed October 14, 2012

I really cannot say enough wonderful things about this tour and Simon. If I could give 10 stars I would. My friend and I spent 10 days in Italy traveling to Rome, Florence and Venice and this was the highlight of our entire time in Italy. Simon is very knowledgeable about the area and wine making process but beyond that he makes the whole experience wonderful because you feel like you are travelling with a friend and not a tour guide. The vineyard, Montefioralle, and the owner Fernando and his family are wonderful and welcoming as well. I really can't think of a single thing that would have made our day any better. If you are considering doing a tour in Tuscany this is absolutely the one that you want to do!

2  Thank Ashlee1796
Reviewed October 13, 2012

My sister and I wrapped up our Italy experience with this tour. Slow day is a good way to explain this tour. It was just my sister and I, but the most he will take is 8 so you can be assured a personal touch. Simon (the owner) took us to the grape fields and explained the process and as farm girls we were happy. The vineyard was charming and the owner precious. He was very attentive as we happily tasted a number of wines. I did go home with a glass, a stopper, some Lavinder, and even managed to get a bottle of dessert wine back to Virginia!

Simon took us to a small village and we were lucky to see some negotiating for goods by two of the residents. She didn't get the eggs as he didn't need her canned olives!

We had lunch at a charming little restaurant with the owner also being the chief cook and bottle washer. The food was outstanding. We then stopped in the small town and looked around a bit and wrapped up the tour with a visit to a castle. The views were all spectacular and spell binding.

Simon picked us up and took us back to the hotel. He will also take you out to the Florence American Cemetary if you wish. I highly recommend the Cemetary visit if you are American and even if you are not.

Simons tour now has cooking classes given by his wife. We didn't get to do this, but would like too. Don't think twice about using this tour with Simon. I promise you will have a great day and he speaks perfect English and Italian.