“Our Tour of Florence with Paola Angelini”

Tour of Florence - Tours
Ranked #181 of 355 Tours in Florence
More attraction details
Owner description: Tour of Florence offers private and small group tours of Florence and Tuscany. Visit the Uffizi Gallery, the Pitti Palace, the Accademia, the Old Palace, Michelangelo's masterpieces with our excellent guides.
Reviewed June 21, 2012

My wife and I hired Paola Angelini (info@guidedflorencetours.com) as a private tour guide while on our vacation in Italy this Spring. Paola led us on a full day tour of Florence focusing on its medieval history and Renaissance art. Paola has a very engaging personality. Paola has a very professional demeanor but she is also warm and friendly and we were instantly comfortable and at ease with her. While she has a university degree, it is not an art degree, but she is a student of the arts and we found her to be extremely knowledgeable and insightful. She also conveys a real love for what she is doing. We were with her for a very full day and throughout she showed great dedication to keeping us entertained, informed and comfortable. She was determined to provide us with an enriching experience and she delivered many times over. We appreciated her many insights about the city and its rich art history. She also provided wonderful suggestions for restaurants and additional sightseeing opportunities. She was fully engaged the entire day providing more information than we could fully absorb - even though I even took notes! We had a wonderful time in Florence and Paola contributed greatly to that experience. She helped us make efficient use of our limited time and enabled us to take away so much more than what we could have accomplished on our own. If you are interested in the services of a private tour guide while in Florence, we give Paola our highest recommendation.

Reviewed June 8, 2012

My husband and I have just returned from a morning with Angelo...knowledgable, witty and passionate. From his initial correspondence with us back in Australia, I knew that we were in the hands of a professional.
Meeting us promptly at our hotel, we set off at a cracking pace and I wondered why more people didn't avail themselves of this opportunity to have such a personal experience with a local. Our three hours with Angelo was the best value experience we had in Florence. What sets a great guide apart, is their ability to adapt to a client's interests....and it is here that Angelo's great knowledge of history, literature and religion are apparent. He doesn't follow a script....he engages with you on a very personal level and he leaves a lasting impression.
We can highly recommend him for a fascinating insight Florence. You will not be disappointed.

Reviewed May 13, 2012

Our tour with Angelo started in the early morning sunshine in a cafe with delicious coffee and pastries. The conversation turned to food and the special cattle that make the meat in Florence so good.

We walked across the Piazza to a Brunelleschi Church where he explained the revolutionary use of human scale in the renaissance architecture .In a side chapel was a wooden crucifix by Michaelangelo at the age of 18. It was incredibly moving because the figure, that was naturally lit, was youthful, beautiful and vulnerable and the face expressed deep sadness and sorrow. Angelo explained that Michaelangelo practised dissection there and so learned about anatomy.

As we walked past the Pitti palace, over the Arno to the chapel Lorenzo, Angelo would be explaining the buildings, recounting stories and filling in historical details. You felt intimate with how it was to be a person walking down the street in medieval Florence, how there was intense rivalry and competition and how this could be incredibly creative in all spheres of life.

In the Chapel Lorenzo we saw the stupendous marbles and pietre dure panels. In the side chapel were the famous Michaelangelo statues of night and day, dawn and dusk. Angelo pointed out many subtleties of the composition including the practice of not finishing certain parts and of tinting the marble. This left me feeling there was so much more to understand in Michaelangelo’s sculpture than I'd ever thought possible before.

In a visit to a pietre dure workshop we saw how they cut the semi precious stones to make up the marble panels, using similar techniques as in wooden marquetry.

Next was the Pietre dure museum with incredibly beautiful and technically excellent examples of the work and the Medici semi precious stone collection. The only sadness was that the adjoining marble restoration school was closed that day which was meant to be the end of the tour, so we’ll hopefully see that on another visit.

As someone who studied art at university level and has had a career in antiques and the decorative arts it was an absolute delight to learn so much about subjects one had studied at some length already.

Angelo is someone who has a deep and intimate knowledge of the city and its culture. We were chatting the whole time and there wasn't one subject in which I didn't find him knowledgeable and interesting. The morning was a complete delight and one of the nicest birthday presents I've ever received.

Kim Roberts, Thistle & Rose. Antique furniture restorer.

Reviewed April 7, 2012

A Great Tour of Florence!

Angelo's tour is fun, entertaining and knowledgeable. A wonderful way to see the highlights of Florence and learn about the fascinating history of the city and Italy.

A friend of ours recommended Angelo. We are glad we took his advice. Angelo was very knowledgeable and a really nice guy. We opted for a customized tour, which included the Accademia, Uffici, Duomo, Palazo Pitti, Belvedere, etc

Angelo also gave us plenty of recommendations for restaurants and ideas for short trips around Tuscany.

Taking Angelo's Tour was one of the best things we did in Florence.

Baci Angelo!!!

J + L

Reviewed March 8, 2012

After dreaming of Italy for years, I finally booked a trip this past October. My most anticipated destination was beautiful Florence. I was very intimidated by all the history and art it has to offer and really wanted to do Firenze justice. A friend recommended that I book a tour with Angelo and it ended up being the best advice of my trip. I absolutely loved it! Angelo is by far the BEST tour guide I've ever had.

Angelo speaks impeccable English. He's professional, funny, charming, extremely knowledgeable, and never ever boring. I was so captivated by his tour of the Uffizi Gallery that I'm still talking about it months later. After taking a tour with Angelo, you can't help but feel the same passion he does for art, history, and all things Florence. He also gave fantastic recommendations for places to eat, must sees, and day trips to the Tuscan countryside.

Florence was all I anticipated and more. I have very fond memories of my trip, and have Angelo to thank for such a wonderful experience. I've already recommended him to friends who are traveling there next month. If you're planning a trip to Florence too, I highly recommend Angelo Alterio.