“If you really need Mexican food...”
Review of Tijuana 2

Tijuana 2
Ranked #1,453 of 2,872 Restaurants in Florence
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Santa Maria Novella
Reviewed May 9, 2013

In the middle of three months in Italy, I needed a break from Italian food. My students had raved about Tijuana, so I thought I'd give it a try.

Positives: Nice decor, and a large variety of menu options. Portions are large, which is a plus if you're a starving student, I guess. Food was mostly good: I enjoyed the chips & salsa (and you can choose the heat level), the tacos, rice and beans. The margarita was not a taste I'm used to, but not bad.

Negatives: It's really, really noisy, result of music videos at full volume. A matter of taste, I suppose. I've had better guacamole out of the freezer at Costco. I also ordered a side of refried beans, since the menu said nothing about the tacos being accompanied by anything. Got a large bowl of beans (enough for several servings), and more on my plate. When I finished, the waitress asked if I didn't like the beans, as I had left the bowl untouched. I pointed out that I hadn't known the tacos came with beans, whereupon she game me the "me ne frega"* look and dumped the plates she'd been gathering up all over the table. Cost me a good 30 euros or so.

Overall, a so-so experience. You could do a lot worse. Go with realistic expectations (consider the size of the Mexican population in Florence -- what do you expect?), and you won't be disappointed.

*"Whatever."

1  Thank Pitchford0209

Reviewed January 16, 2013 via mobile

Tijuana is one of The most authentic mexican restaurants i have ever seen out of mexico. I travelled a lot in mexico for work. The decor is perfect. Service is fast and efficient. I does not damage the decor that the waiters are latin and good looking. The drink menù offers everything from sangria, mexican beer, frozen margaritas and a big choice of tequilas and rums. The nachos with guacamole are awsome! food is simply the best you can get 10000 miles from mexico;)!

Reviewed December 10, 2012

Stayed in Florence for two months during the summer of 2012 during business travel. Went to Tijuana in Via Il Prato a handful of times.

Quite large plates, and very friendly prices. Quite good mexican food.

I recommend sitting outside in the back. Very cozy atmosphere and stars above.

Some of the waitresses were of latin origin, and quite good looking I must add. Which of course is no disadvantage when you are sitting in a restaurant having your fiftieth lone dinner in a stretch.

Reviewed September 19, 2012

This is the perfect Mexican restaurant to dinner with your couple, friends and even family!

Tijuana 2, located on a perfect square in Florence, offers a fantastic Mexican menu with very different dishes that will stimulate your senses. Wonderful guacamole, chicken or beef fajitas, the spicy tacos al albañil or the typical Mexican molcajete. They have as well a great variety of Mexican beers, micheladas and exotic cocktails such as the frozen margaritas that are a delight in colors and flavor.

The design on this place is truly Mexican, with lots of real objects that create a cozy and attracting environment , you won’t stop to admire the decoration and every single of its careful details. The rooms are quite big and it even has a tropical garden that is the ideal surrounding to have a drink or dinner in summer time. All of this, improved by the great service of the personnel that is always quick and helpful.

Without a doubt, Tijuana 2 it’s a great place to visit in Florence, you’ll have a wonderful time, give it a try, you’ll be nicely surprised!

Reviewed September 8, 2012

Don't tell anyone you ate Mexican in Italy but PLEASE GO HERE!!! Food was inexpensive and wonderful!!! Atmosphere is awesome!