“Simply to echo other 5-point reviews”
Review of Hotel David

Hotel David
Ranked #1 of 411 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed November 30, 2013

Perhaps it is pointless to add a five-point review to so many others, but my wife and I were so satisfied with our two-night stay that I thought I should echo them. On all the positive aspects of the Hotel, a special mention deserves to be made to the free parking facility, a very rare thing to find in Florence. Also, the breakfast selection was superb. In addition to good rooms and comfortable bathrooms, the David is unique in providing free services like the early evening aperitif, and free printing from its two brand new Macs. As mentioned by so many other reviewers, the staff is extremely helpful and simpatico.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms next to the breakfast area. Room 19 is right next to it. Better get a room on the second...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
HDavid, Owner at Hotel David, responded to this reviewResponded December 2, 2013

Dear Guest,

All 5 stars reviews are welcome! The important thing is that you had a good stay with us and you carry good memories about your vacation in Firenze!
Gabriele Cecioni

Write a ReviewReviews (3,339)

Reviewed November 27, 2013

Everything from the room, the breakfast, the staff, the cocktail hour and the hospitality was top notch. Really thank Trip Advisor contributors because that is how we picked it. Now I would like to return the favor and recommend it to future travelers.

1  Thank BG1180

Dear Guest,

I thank you for your post I'm happy you had good time with us and you took advantage of our services...I will see you back...I'm sure!

Reviewed November 26, 2013

If you like pretentious 5 Star "Glass and Chrome" hotels then Hotel David is not for you. However, if you crave for a high quality traditional establishment with real staff and impeccable customer service then this is the place for you.
In this fast moving impersonal world, Hotel David is an oasis of peaceful charm and relaxation, where nothing is ever too much trouble for the ultra friendly staff. Thank you all for a wonderful week-end.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
HDavid, Owner at Hotel David, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2013

Dear Guest,

You are absolutely right and thank you for understanding our value and for your words of appreciation.

Reviewed November 24, 2013

I felt very fortunate to be able to book a room on very short notice at Hotel David for my last two nights in Italy. I really procrastinated, and waited for the last minute to book each of my hotel rooms for this annual Italy trip I make. I wanted to end the trip with a couple of nights in Florence and as Hotel David is clearly the number one hotel in Florence on Trip Advisor, I jumped on the chance to stay there.

I'd be happy to echo what everyone else says. The hotel is beautiful, the furnishings tasteful and very attractive. The staff is wonderful and friendly. The facilities - particularly the bathrooms - modern, up-to-date and functioning well. Internet, and almost everything else works perfectly. This isn't a small thing.

Unfortunately, "almost" left out a particular thing for me - heat. I spent two cold nights in my room at the end of November and didn't get much sleep. The staff, dressed in a thick, warm sweater, tried to resolve the problem and improved the situation. However, the bed linen is really designed for a warm summer evening, and I was freezing at night. The staff pulled out two itchy wool blankets from my closet, but that really wasn't what I wanted.

In speaking with another guest, my room might have been a unique case as he felt his room was too warm. Apparently they don't turn on the heat until 7:30 at night. My room never really warmed up.

The other problem I had was the location. I don't mind that you have to walk a short distance to see the tourist spots, I wasn't really there for that anyway. My problem was that I arrived late on a Saturday night after a long working day, and I was tired and hungry. I couldn't find a place to eat nearby the hotel. There are plenty of small restaurants, but every single one of them was full and couldn't seat me. Eventually, I had to take a pizza back to my room. There's nothing much in the immediate vicinity.

I hate to write such a disappointing review for a hotel that has such a wonderful and caring staff. Maybe I let my expectations get too high because of all of the other reviews. I would imagine if your plan is to take in all the sites and not spend too much time in the hotel, this is a great place to start. But if all you want to do is unwind after a long week in and around Italy, there are probably better options out there.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
6  Thank Marc S

Dear Guest,

An unhappy Guest is always sad....for everyone! Despite we have reception open 24h we know about the problem in the late evening of the last of the 2 nights here....and I believe it's too late! Despite we all have travelled abroad you cannot know all different habitudes we have so you could have come to the reception and tell us your situation...wasn't it looking strange to be the only one at the hotel to have cold in the room? We don't use air conditioning but central heating in winter and if the radiator is closed in the room it will remain cold! We would have preferred a bit more interaction with the reception so that we could have solved the problem much before and you would have had a worm room like all the others.
Same thing for the restaurants for dinner.....reception is there to assist you in making reservations to main activities and restaurants too and also gives you suggestion of where to go and when, always following your wishes but if you don't ask we are not able to read in your mind.
Same thing for the location....it's the first think you ask to yourself before booking an hotel: do you want to stay downtown or a bit outside? The answer will give you the exact location where to book!
My only regret is not for the bad rating but for the opportunity I have lost to make your stay very enjoyable like 98% of our Guests....

Reviewed November 20, 2013

Are they nicer looking hotels? Of course
Are there hotels with nicer looking facilities? Of course
That's not the point here.
It's an older 3 star family run hotel.
The staff at this hotel are among the best hotel employees I have ever dealt with.
The breakfast is amazing, especially the orange cake :)
The coffee was delicious. The meats, were tasty. I have never had such wonderful tomatoes before either.
I don't quite understand the complaints made in some reviews. The hotel location is clearly located on the website. It is indeed a 15 minute walk to the Ponte Vecchio bridge for easy access to Uffizzi museum. D bus directly to/from SMN train station, and 23 bus will take you to Piazza San Marco by Accademia. The minibar was pre-stocked with free beverages. The hotel sells bus tickets at the standard 1.20 Euro price (they are 2 Euro if you buy them on the bus)
Love the rain shower head. Bathroom also had a bidet. Love the orange cake... Oh yeah, did I mention the orange cake?
Breakfast and evening happy hour are included in the price, as well as the original stocking of the minibar. The minibar one bag of potato chips,2 small bottles of juice (peach, pear) , pepsi, water (gas/no gas), orange soda, lemon soda, and pepsi free, They did offer to exchange what we didn't want. There are 2 apple computers and a printer for guest use. They also have free WIFI... I will recommend this place to anyone I know who is planning a visit. If I go back to Florence, and cannot book their apartment by the PV Bridge, I will stay at Hotel David.

Room Tip: I doubt they have any bad ones :)
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
HDavid, Owner at Hotel David, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2013

Dear Guest,

A big thank you from all the Staff of the David that every day, every year gives its best to make you feel at home knowing that we can always make it better!

Reviewed November 20, 2013 via mobile

Of the 2 weeks we spent in Italy this hotel had the largest rooms by far. The staff was so friendly and helpful as well. The breakfast was great and in a very comfortable area. Happy hour drinks and food were served in the sitting area. We returned from dinner one evening to find a tray of after- dinner liquors so we could try any of them ( there were about 8-10 different things). We would highly recommend this hotel while staying in Florence. Y

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank Elaine_M12Richardson
HDavid, Owner at Hotel David, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2013

Dear Guest,
I thank you for your review I'm very happy you had good time with us and I see you already discovered one of our new services we are testing for 2014!

Reviewed November 19, 2013

I stayed 4 nights in November. I had a smaller room on the first floor facing the back with a balcony. Lovely and quiet. Bathroom was immaculate. Great bed too. The reception staff were all lovely, and as another reviewer mentioned, when I wanted the bus, she walked outside to show me. While the walk into town is easy and pretty, the bus is pretty genius. The hotel sells tickets. You hop on one of two main routes steps from the front door and you're off. I especially appreciated the honor bar, it was lovely to come home from a day of walking to fix a cup of tea and some cake. The breakfast was also exceptional. Can't say enough. Will be back and will recommend!

Room Tip: Opt for the back for extra quiet
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
HDavid, Owner at Hotel David, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for trusting us....I'm very happy you found what you were looking for and I'm sure I will have the pleasure to welcome you this time as a repeater Guest!