“Just wonderful!”

Ranked #1 of 422 Hotels in Florence
Canberra, Australia
“Just wonderful!”
Reviewed August 4, 2013

This is such an amazing hotel! Our room was beautiful with an incredible view of the Duomo, we had awesome service from the staff who were helpful and so lovely and friendly. Thanks to Michael for solving our wifi issue! Breakfast was served in a lovely outdoor setting. We couldn't ask for more.

Room Tip: 31 was perfect with an excellent view of the Duomo
HDavid, Owner at Hotel David, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Dear Guest,

A big thank you for coming to stay with us and remember the Staff is at your disposal 24h to help you as far as they can and if you have a problem with your device Michele is the one!
Gabriele Cecioni

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (428)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Phuket, Thailand
Reviewed August 1, 2013

We chose this hotel based upon past reviews posted but did not check the hotels location. Florence is a walking ,sightseeing city and we would have preferred to be able to go back to the hotel during the day to relax and freshen up. The location of hotel does not facilitate this at all. For us it was a long walk from the city and we did not want to wait for buses or pay for taxis which don't seem that plentiful. The hotels timings on quick walking are accurate. The hotel room was average as was the breakfast - in fact it was cold on the first day. We did not see many restaurants around the hotel and so were faced with going back to the city in the evening which was very tiresome.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Jonas57
HDavid, Owner at Hotel David, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Dear Guest,

Location Location Location...........is probably the only thing we cannot change and we do not want to change it ...... it's not a secret that we are 20 minutes far from downtown and if you read carefully the other reviews I suggested many time to search elsewhere if you wish to come back many times during the day but probably not enough to be red by you!

I realized one thing in the last 2 months: this hotel staff has the capability to solve most of the problems the Guest present but you have to talk with to them even if you feel a little ashamed because it's your fault we could have told you that our Ape Calessino Car is available for free for those who by mistake thought to be closer to town and we shuttle you back and forward to town as many times you wish......so we have lost an opportunity to make a Guest happy and we won a 3 balls review not a big deal at all!!
Next time talk with the reception we haven't won 3 times the Service award for nothing and I'm sure we have the solution to your problem, we are here for you!
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed August 1, 2013

It was Trip Advisor that pointed us at this hotel, and we were highly impressed. It's not in the centre of town, but it's within walking distance, and there's also a good and frequent bus service. The hotel itself is spotlessly clean and well appointed, with excellent A/C. But it's the warmth of the welcome, and the thoughtful extras, that distinguish it, from the free wine and munchies in the garden each night to the free minibar in the room and the free phone calls home. We had booked and prepaid three nights but could only stay two. No problem - refund. And a smashing breakfast.
I wish all hotels were this good

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Lavochkin
HDavid, Owner at Hotel David, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Dear Guest,

All the Staff have worked behind Cristina to make you feel as better as we could and as I read you have a good remember about the trip to Florence and the David too and this make all of us very happy to have done a good job.
My best to all your family and greetings from Cristina!
Rochester NY
Reviewed August 1, 2013

The hotel is a gem just OUTSIDE the old city of Firenze (Florence). I have been to Florence several times and this is by far the bestmor the best. That said, there is ONE thing it is not - it does not have a fancy, high end restaurant. But, neither do most Florentine hotels!

Located just south of Ponte S. Niccolo, thats the second bridge to the right of the Ponte Vecchio, it has a charming neighborhood feel. The staff is warm, friendly and your mini bar is free to raid the entire visit. If you run out, only then do you have to sign out and pay for things. Breakfast is included and has more than the boring continental "toast and bread only". You have 10 minutes of FREE international calling PER DAY, a nice perk for those needing to contact loved ones. Our luggage, all four pieces, were lost by Air France and the staff, especially Cristina, spoke on our behalf to airlines, airports and baggage supervisors for at least an hour and a half trying to help us track down and retrieve bags.

Beds are firm and comfortable with nice linen and plush pillows. The bathrooms are clean, NEW and have rain head showers. The lift is small but adequate. For those who can't do stairs well and are claustrophic, I would request a lower floor.

Our balcony was very spacious and had table and chairs. We had a lovely view of the Tuscan hills to the South and outer city to the southwest. There is a "happy hour" daily at 6:30 with wonderful small treats - brushetta, small pizza breads, dips, chips and vegatables with white and red wines. Really pleasant on the front terrace.

The main sights are varying distances. Piazza Signoria (Uffizzi, Ponte Vecchio, etc) is about 20 min walk or a very quick taxi or bus 23 (right out front every ten minutes). Il Duomo (cahtedral, bell tower and baptistry) another five minutes on foot. The dell'accademia (David) is an additional 5 minutes from the Duomo. Santa Croce is closer, 15 minutes, and Piazzalo Michelangelo is a ten minute walk BUT there are many steps UP to it.

So, I did not save the best for last, but make no mistake, the BIG additional perk here is the price. Only 150 euro per night. You cannot beat this for quality, comfort and hospitality.

I will post pictures when we are back home!

3 Thank TriMarJohn
HDavid, Owner at Hotel David, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Dear Guest,

We thank you for your post, nice to see that you are back home with all your luggage! We will be here next time you decide to come to Florence and this time I hope with a bit more luck with your luggage but I'm sure you made your wife happy with heavy shopping!
Gabriele Cecioni

P.s. A big thank you from Cristina too!
San Diego, California
Reviewed July 30, 2013

My daughter stayed at Hotel David with her girlfriend during the first part of her Europe trip and our family stopped by for a two-night visit at the same hotel after joining her a couple of weeks later. Hotel David is a charming place to stay that reminds me of the movie, "A Room with a View." Although we didn't have any views of the churches in Florence, our room (#34) had a lovely view of the surrounding area with the Tuscan countryside in the background...beautiful!!! Our bathroom was fabulous with a completely enclosed shower, which is very hard to find in Europe. I would have preferred a modern cabinet for hanging my clothes and the storage of extra pillows, but our room had an antique armoire. Thankfully, extra pillows and towels are complimentary at Hotel David, which I would expect in the USA but is not necessarily the norm overseas.

The location is not easy-walking distance to the center of Florence, but there is a bus you can catch that stops very close by. Since we were on a tight time schedule, I might have preferred something closer to town for such a short stay. There is a nice little "happy hour" with complimentary wine and snacks in the early evening; if you want to partake of it and go back into town for dinner, you will be doing some going back and forth transportation-wise. It was HOT when we visited in July so walking a lot was not appealing; we relied on buses and taxis.

The hotel offers 10 minutes in free international calls, which is wonderful as I was able to chat with my daughter and know that she was doing well when she was there without her family. The best part of the hotel is the receptionist Christina. I loved her warm and pleasant demeanor and how she takes such good care of everyone. I can be a bit of a fussy traveler at times, but I don't like to feel as though the staff THINKS I am fussy! :) Well, Christina makes a guest feel like every request is the most reasonable thing in the world and no trouble at all for her, and she goes about her work with a calm and reassuring manner.

The breakfast is very nice, and the attentive staff makes good cappuccinos, etc. Rooms 18 and 19 are next to the breakfast area, which is good if you don't want to go up and down the stairs and elevators a lot but maybe not as good for quietness. My daughters stayed in Room 19 (one room over from the breakfast area) and enjoyed their room very much.

Thank you, Hotel David, for a wonderful time in Florence!

Room Tip: This hotel (especially room 34) is a good choice for a romantic getaway.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank DelmarSoCal
HDavid, Owner at Hotel David, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Dear Guest,

My best to all your family and greetings from Cristina!
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed July 29, 2013

This was one of the best hotel we have stayed in Europe. Gabriele could not do enough for his guests . Every night there was a wine and snack display in the garden. The garden provided a place to talk about the day and make plans for the next day with the other guests
the breakfast room was airy and bright

We loved the hotel

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank anniep65
HDavid, Owner at Hotel David, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Dear Guest,

I thank you for being with us during your vacation to Florence and thank you for the photos of the David, it has been very much appreciated.
Long Beach, California
Reviewed July 28, 2013

This was our third trip to Florence, and we finally found the perfect hotel for us. The hotel is located on the Viale Michelangelo just south of the river. It is walking distance to the more meaningful sights in the city - Uffizi, Accademia, St. Croce, the Duomo, and Ponte Vecchio for the shoppers. We we also close to very nice restaurants and shopping. The area is much quieter and cleaner than the craziness of the Centro area.

Our room was very nice - comfortable and roomy. A really nice feature for us was that the first full use of the mini bar is included in the price. And by the way, the price for this Hotel is extremely reasonable and the value is very high. The staff, and owner, were amazingly helpful. In fact, on our arrival one of the staff offered to park our car and help with the luggage, and it wasn't until the next day that we found out that he was one of the owners of the Hotel - what a great example his is to his staff! He was also very helpful with getting us reservations at a particular restaurant, and even humored my wife by taking our picture in their cute little three-wheeler that they use for taking guests into town that don't want to, or aren't able to walk.

Can't say enough good stuff about this Hotel - I think you're crazy if you stay anywhere else.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms on the North end of the Hotel have balconies that face the river and the town. We...
1 Thank Jason B
HDavid, Owner at Hotel David, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Dear Guest,

I really thank you for coming to stay with us, I remember you and it was very nice to talk to you and next time it will be big pleasure to welcome you here at the David as a repeat customer!