“Excellent stay”
Review of Hotel David

Hotel David
Ranked #1 of 410 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed May 26, 2013

My sisters and a friend just got back from Florence. Hotel David was the hotel we picked based on our budget and the size of the room. The quadruple room was perfect for us. It was very clean and the décor was very nice. I love the antique furniture and the overhead lights. The personalized note and the welcome sweets was a very nice touch too. The staff were also very friendly and helpful. We had a rental car that we parked at their parking lot. It was a gated hotel so the car is in a very safe place. They also secure the premises at night so you feel safe. Even though they are on a busy street, I did not hear the noise of the traffic so we all slept good. Breakfast was great and the happy hour with wine and a selection of offerings was very good. The hotel is located close to the tourist spots across the river - 10 to 20 minutes walk. There were a number of restaurants within walking distance too and if you're tired of walking, there is a bus stop really close to the hotel. We highly recommend this hotel and wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

Room Tip: We were on the first floor in the quadruple room as there are 4 adults in our group. It is very spac...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
HDavid, Owner at Hotel David, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2013

Dear Guest,

I thank you for your mail to adivice your satisfaction here at the David I'm honored to hava you welocomed here and I'm sure you will be back!
Gabriele Cecioni

Write a ReviewReviews (3,351)

Reviewed May 26, 2013

I selected this hotel due to the reviews on TA and I was not disappointed. The room and facilities offered are very good. There is a laundry in the basement which is a big plus - washing detergent and fabric softener supplied! The happy hour is great as you get to speak to people from all countries and compare 'travel stories' and experiences. This hotel is around 15 minutes from the centre of Florence but there is a bus stop very close to the hotel. If in Florence for 3 days, consider purchasing the Firenze Card. Skipping lines at the main attractions is great but the card also allows travelling on the local buses.

1  Thank princess1Melbourne
HDavid, Owner at Hotel David, responded to this reviewResponded May 26, 2013

Dear Guest,

I thank you for trusting the Trip community I'm happy you had good time you here at the David and I hope you will carry good memories of your trip to Florence too!

Reviewed May 25, 2013 via mobile

Everything here was better than expected. Location, amenities, hospitality, etc. The staff was great via email in prepping for our trip, and they all speak English. We prepaid for a discount on our stay. They have pretty much free everything here...parking, internet, happy hour drinks & snacks, even a free phone call if you need it. The laundry is 6 Euro per load which seems a little steep but overall, we absolutely love it. And hey, they actually have laundry so I'm mot complaining! Will absolutely stay here again if we return to Florence.

HDavid, Owner at Hotel David, responded to this reviewResponded May 26, 2013

Dear Guest,

I thank you for coming to stay with us I'm happy you found here what you were looking for and I'm sure next time you will be coming to Florence we will welcome you again as a repeter Guest!

Reviewed May 23, 2013

The staff, the hotel, the location...everything about this hotel is outstanding. We had a delightful corner room with a balcony with table and chairs overlooking the garden area. The room was big, the bath was spotlessly clean, There was an armoire with drawers so we could actually unpack and not live out of our suitcases for the week we stayed. The staff could not have been more helpful and pleasant. Every person we spoke to at the front desk was anxious to help and pleasant in every way....from restaurant recommendations to directions...you name it, they did it. The outdoor area around the hotel is planted with gorgeous flowers and the evening wine and appetizers gave us a chance to met with fellow travelers from around the world. I see from other reviews that the front desk folks get a lot of recognition by name...so I'll just echo that they are all superb. I would like to mention Maria who helps with beakfast and other food service. Always a friendly hello and a smile whiile she's bustling about. Excellent breakfast...every day! Thank you ALL for a great week in Florence.

1  Thank StanBoz
HDavid, Owner at Hotel David, responded to this reviewResponded May 24, 2013

Dear Guest,

I thank you for your nice words we are very happy you had nice feelings here at the David and thank you to suggest us to future travelers!

Reviewed May 21, 2013

Hotel staff was wonderful, from the greetings when we arrived, to giving us extra water when we left. 4 poster bed was like heaven, and everything in room was immaculate. Breakfasts are great, and the afternoon wine and cheese offerings are a welcome respite after a days touring in Florence. We will definitely come back, and recommend to all savvy travelers.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank WhidbeyBruce
HDavid, Owner at Hotel David, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2013

Dear Guest,

I thank you for choosing to stay for your vacation here at Hotel David we are happy you had good time with us and we wait for you next time you decide to come to visit Florence!
Gabriele Ceioni

Reviewed May 20, 2013

We just got back from an 18 day trip to Italy. I found all of my hotels on TripAdvisor and we were happy with them all but Hotel David just stands out in my mind for their wonderful, friendly service. One other hotel, Hotel al Codega (in Venice) had service that was just as attentive, but I guess the casual demeanor of the staff at Hotel David was more appealing to me so this hotel gets the top spot on my list of hotels for this trip.

As others have mentioned, the staff is just wonderful at Hotel David. I had messed up my reservations at two of the hotels. I'd made the reservations a year in advance and my records at home got messed up and we arrived at Hotel David a day early. When we arrived, the desk staff was looking through binders of emails etc looking for record of our reservation. It was making us really nervous but then they found the messages and we saw that it was my mistake that we were a day early. Luckily, they had a room and were able to accommodate us.

As you can see if you look through the pictures that reviewers have posted, each room is a bit different. Apparently, the room that they'd reserved for us was a bit nicer than the room available when we got there and they offered to let us stay one night in the first room and then move. I wanted to unpack and get settled in without another move, so I didn't take advantage of the offer, but I thought it was going above board for them to even suggest it.

The next day we were going to the Accademia at 8:30 in the morning, right as they opened. It was raining so we wanted to take the bus rather than walking. We couldn't quite understand where the bus stop was, so Micael just dropped what he was doing and walked us over to the stop. Again, a very service oriented touch.

They fill your honor bar fridge with sodas, bottled water and juices and the first fillup is FREE. There is no alcohol in your room fridge but on the first floor they have a real honor bar setup with bottles of beer, prosecco, wine etc. You just fill out a slip listing what you've taken and give it to the staff at the reception desk and they add it to your room charge. In this little bar area, they also leave out sliced cakes left from breakfast, appetizers from the happy hour, etc. and you can take these for free.

The wine wasn't great at the happy hour but they have carafes and carafes of it, along with a table full of various appetizers. Normally, we leave a hotel in the morning and don't come back until 10 or so at night when we are ready to drop. We made a point of stopping twice for the happy hour and really enjoyed meeting and talking with our fellow travelers. It was a nice touch.

Breakfast is good as well. In a lot of places in Italy "American coffee" is nothing more than espresso with extra water and doesn't really taste "right" at all. I think Hotel David must have a real percolator/drip coffee machine because this tasted like what we expected. Breakfast had two types of eggs, ham/bacon, wonderful fresh fruit salads, and breakfast cakes. If the weather is nice, they have outdoor seating available.

Another wonderful touch that I've never seen in ANY other hotel is that they allow you to use their reception phone for a free 10 minute (not that they really time you) call home each day. We called a different family member each day and that was really fun.

The hotel is in a great location, if you're comfortable with a bit of walking. It's not right in the middle of the touristy part of Florence – which I prefer because it's quieter with less hustle-bustle. It took us about 20 minutes each morning to walk down the river and over one of the bridges to the sights. If you're not so comfortable with a lot of walking, there are two bus stops right by the hotel that will take you into the tourist section.

I don't think I've ever felt more welcome in any hotel. I'd recommend this hotel without any reservations whatsoever. I hope to go back to Italy again next year. If we decide to go to Florence again, I will DEFINITELY stay at Hotel David.

2  Thank AnnCS
HDavid, Owner at Hotel David, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2013

Dear Guest,

I remember you, we had a nightmare for 5 minutes but ended up well......We all thank you for making the reservation so in advance and we understand that it's hard to keep notice of all reservation for a long trip...but at the end everything was ok!
See you next time then!

Reviewed May 19, 2013 via mobile

We did not review the hotel David before now because I think we did not want to admit that we had left. We arrived on a rather cool day at the beginning of December 2012 .

My wife and I had never been to Europe staying in one city for one week. We were greeted with absolute professionalism and absolute sincerity. Our room overlooked the River Arno and the medieval and Renaissance reality of the hotel that is not quite in the center of the city, but is actually placed on the city walls . The hotel David is on the San Nicollo neighborhood at the far end of the border between there and piazza Michelangelo.

We found the Pontevecchio walk was about 15 minutes. Walk to the Duomo is about 25 minutes. We found the taxi drive to those areas is less than 3 minutes and the price was less than 5 euros.
The neighborhood is full of trattorias and the sweet Wine Bar, Which we particularly recommend.

Naturally, the recommendation of the hotel David has to do with the actual place and the worwondeful staff. We believe that we have never been treated as well, or as humanely, as by Chiara very warm staff of the hotel David.

The neighborhood itself is filled with lovely local restaurants some recommended by the hotel David some that we found on our strolls on the Rainy Streets where we found farmacias as well as reasonable places to purchase local clothes, local groceries, and the basic sense of a residential neighborhood.

I do not believe, especially if you are a traveler accustomed to doing it yourself, that you will feel is well treated as if the hotel David. You can be an independent traveler there, but you will also find a warm American /English Breakfast , the happy hour where you can meet with your fellow travelers from all different countries in all different classes and types, as well as a home away from home ;where you can decorate the Christmas tree, check out your e mail and breathe deeply and sit back and think about the day you had in Florence.
All of this can be done while sipping aperitifs, sharing experiences with your fellow travelers, and realizing that you can live life as a slower pace men who have ever considered.

The hotel David has been one of the few places in this world where we can say this is possible. We are so fortunate to have found it, and that's when they said they were sold out, that they had room for us when they heard our story of desire for real Tuscan experience.

By staying at the Hotel David, our trip to Florence and our trip to Europe became a trip home.

3  Thank Joshua V
HDavid, Owner at Hotel David, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2013

Dear Guest,

It's not the fist time that Guests don't want to leave ones here......and this makes all of us happy to be able to live this wonderful experience together with you all!
We realized that it's the Guests, together with us, who make the place special and magic and it's something you have to feel it's difficult to explain but this is the way it is....