“A great hotel”
Review of Hotel David

Hotel David
Ranked #1 of 410 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed March 31, 2013

We stayed in room 29 for 7 days - Hotel was everything we wanted. Quiet, excellent breakfasts, very clean [possibly embarrasingly so for someone as basically untidy as me] - Also it is situated alongside the river and thus no problems with walking into the centre daily. Easy access via steps to the Piazza Michaelangelo and the two old churches adjacent to that Piazza.
More importantly, my partner's passport was stolen whilst away from Florence on a day trip and only discovered late at night on the final night. The hotel reception staff could not have been more helpful with practical help and advice - arranging taxis, phoning the carabinieri, allowing us to use their phone to contact the embassy/airlines etc. Whilst obviously an unwanted experience, the hotel staff helped us to overcome the problems and made us feel welcomed [almost family] guests. For me, this would be the only place in Florence I would want to stay in, in future.

Room Tip: I can only speak of Room 29 - Double en-suite, quiet, comfortable, clean - we had a full free mini-b...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank arun s
HDavid, Owner at Hotel David, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2013

Dear Guest,

I thank you coming to stay with us, we remember you for sure and I hope you ended up with no problem! See you soon....with your new passport!

Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

Just left the Hotel David after a 4 night stay. Booked it based on the reviews in Trip Advisor. I admit I was a little concerned with the location, and the distance from the city center. Overall we were pleased with the value and the wonderful service. The free breakfast was certainly not the best we've had. I was surprised there was canned fruit, not fresh as we had in all our other hotels in Italy. None of my family drinks wine and I think the happy hour may have inflated the rating for this hotel. The staff is wonderful and it is a very good hotel, I just don't understand why it is ranked number one. We used the hotel as a base for a day trip to Venice. We took advantage of the D bus, for the trip to the train station and for the trips to Ponte Vecchio, but we always ended up taking a taxi back to the hotel, due to being tired and the rainy weather. If I come back to Florence I would try to stay closer to the city center. The beds were rather hard and not the most comfortable. There was no temperature control in the room and it was cold until the central heat kicked on.

• Stayed: March 2013
3  Thank ssajan
HDavid, Owner at Hotel David, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2013

Dear Guest,

Doing this job you learn that despite you do your best there is always someone who is not 100% satisfied but this helps to improve when the criticisms is constructive!

Reviewed March 29, 2013

Just got back from Florence and a wonderful stay at the Hotel David. Everything everyone says is true! Just adding a few notations from our visit. Should you want to be adventurous, you can take the "Downtown Shuttle" bus from the airport to the train station (SMN). RIGHT THERE (where the shuttle ends at the front of the station) is the D bus that will take you to within 1/4 block of the front of the hotel. Forgot the name of the stop (sorry) but you get out at the turnaround that is right next to the Pont alle grazie. At this point, this will cost about 8 euros/person, with the only dilemma is making sure you purchase the D bus ticket from the newspaper stand at the station. Cab is about 20; like I said, this is about adventure and not savings! There are also two nice restaurants within walking distance, the Osteria San Niccoli and the Hosteria Del Bricco. You can map them out- they are between the two bridges (San Nicole and Alle Grazie), and very pleasant. This hotel has figured out a lot about tourists- all to our benefit. The afternoon wine and snack break is both refreshing and a great way to meet fellow travellers. And the staff could not be nicer, more personable and more patient.

Room Tip: 312 had a nice little balcony with lemon trees!!
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Tankster
HDavid, Owner at Hotel David, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2013

Dear Guest,

I'm very sorry you had to go for adventure and I still don't understand what had happened....
To resume for next adventure experences D line takes from Hotel David to SMN main train station and the cost of the ride is Euro 1.20 pp for 90 minutes pass for any bus.
The Staff of hotel David is at your disposal for any problem it might happen during your stay!

Reviewed March 27, 2013

Often I don't agree with Trip Advisor but you can truly believe the hype - we absolutely loved our stay at the Hotel David.

We had room 31 for 5 nights and it was amazing: lovely feature bed, our own sitting room and a beautiful terrace with great views and a large spotlessly clean bathroom with a great walk in shower.

I had pre ordered sparkling wine and strawberries as it was a 50th celebration and they were ready in our room (despite us being a little early) and beautifully presented plus they had added a cake which was a welcome surprise.

The hotel is a 20 minute walk into Florence but I definitely agree with those that think this is a bonus - there are lots of options if you don't want to walk (taxi rank and bus stops outside - even the hop on hop off site seeing bus stops close by) and having a day in Florence and then coming back and chilling out on the terrace before the fabulous happy hour - bliss. We met some lovely people and it was great to chat and share recommendations over a glass (or two) of wine and nibbles. There are some great restaurants nearby and reception are happy to make recommendations – we also loved strolling into Florence along the river.

The breakfast room is sunny and spotless – eggs and bacon, rolls, pastries, fruit, yogurts, cheese, ham and coffee either self service or made to order (always with a smile).
Finally, we really must highly praise all the staff. They couldn't have been more helpful and everyone always had a smile on their face - they could teach the five star hotels a thing or two about customer service. They always knew which key to give us without having to ask and they made us feel really special. Fantastic.

Along with the staff it is the little touches that make all the difference – happy hour, complimentary stocked minibar, computers and a free call each day. We would recommend this place in a second and have already done so to friends and family. We definitely intend to come back. Thanks for a wonderful stay.

Room Tip: Room 31 was awesome.
7  Thank SasW
HDavid, Owner at Hotel David, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2013

Dear Guest,

We thank you for coming to stay with us and I'm honored to read so many good words of appriciation we will always do our best to keep hotel David like this!

Reviewed March 21, 2013

This hotel is truely a special find. It is clean, comfortable and beautiful. I was pleasantly surpised at the simple uniqueness of this hotel, it exceeded expectations for the price. The staff are polite, happy, and accomadating. The location is away from the heart of the city but not so much as to make travel there inconvient. In fact, I liked that it was a bit removed from the city center. It is a welcome respite. I hope that this hotel does not lose its character because I would very much like to visit there again.

4  Thank Angela H
HDavid, Owner at Hotel David, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2013

Dear Guest,

I thank you for this post and for coming to stay with us! I'm happy you had good time here with us and you appreciated all our efforts to make you feel at home!

Reviewed March 21, 2013

This is to endorse all of the positive comments that have been made about this great hotel.

My wife and I spent 4 nights there and loved it. Everyone was so helpful from the moment we arrived until the moment we departed.

Get a 'Florence Card' for admission into the major museums and galleries plus free use of the public transport. From the hotel we took the bus into the centre for dinner and walked back along the river afterwards.

2  Thank Bill-in-Surrey
HDavid, Owner at Hotel David, responded to this reviewResponded March 23, 2013

Dear Guest,

I'm so happy you decided to use the Florence Card it's a good choice to have unlimited access to main museums.....well done!

Reviewed March 20, 2013

Stayed here 15th - 18th March, this hotel deserves all the acclaim it has received.
All the staff are genuinely happy, and very helpful, recommending local restaurants and helping with museum bookings.
Our room was great, comfortable bed, huge bathroom and a wonderful shower!
The location is just up river from the city centre, near enough, but far enough away at the same time. Bus Route D right outside, great for access to the train station.
Going into town, rather than walk along the river and main road, do yourself a favour and walk along the parallel back streets, where there are some fab Trattorias, interesting shops and businesses, and a chance to see a bit more of the real city.
Overall, a wonderful little hotel that I really hope keeps its identity and fantastic attitude to its guests.
Well done Gabriele!

2  Thank Kettlebell1968
HDavid, Owner at Hotel David, responded to this reviewResponded March 23, 2013

Dear Guest,

I thank you for your words of appreciation I'm really impressed that your good feelings here at the David and I assure you we will keep this hotel like you found it or better!