Hotel Monna Lisa
Chiazza(Florence)
Hotel Dali(Florence)
Hotel Arizona(Florence)
1,270 results
All reviewsborgo pintila giostrapublic areasquiet streetjacuzzi bathcharming hotelwithin walking distanceold world charmantique furniturethe ground floormain buildingold buildingpastriesbreakfast roommain attractionscentral locationfew minutes walk
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 14, 2013

I new we were in trouble when we got to the hotel and we were completely ignored by the staff working the desk. Particularly when we were the only people in the hotel lobby. Once I finally got the attention of the staff, we were told the room was not quite ready which was understandable since we were a little early. We waited for the room and then were escorted to the room. No one from the staff told us anything about the hotel, where breakfast was served, nothing. After getting in the room the first thing we notice was the heat. It was so hot in the room that I really thought we must be above a boiler because the hallway was so cool. I went back to the front desk and someone came up to the room and told us this was "normal" and that we needed to open the windows when we were gone to cool the room. That was before we noticed the "mosquito infestation" sign. I've attached a picture I took of this. The mosquito treatment that we were to plug in made the room unsafe according to their own sign. Needless to say, we left this hotel without staying there through the first night and checked into a different hotel at midnight.

Room Tip: I could not recommend this hotel at all
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Doug M
Reviewed November 12, 2013

Loved the artwork, antiques, large garden in back. No problem with mosquitoes, although the room had a plug-in to ward off mosquitoes and we never used it. Our Superior Room was in newer part of hotel outside by garden. And was beautifully appointed. Staff friendly and helpful with directions and recommendations for restaurants. Found out first night that we were supposed to leave room key at desk when we left. Well located and walked everywhere to main sights. Breakfast was not too exciting; hard boiled eggs, breads, cereals, fruit. Service at breakfast slow(coffee service). We would stay here again and highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Get newer rooms out by garden. Large and beautiful. We were in room 40
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LAMEL67
Reviewed November 11, 2013

Gorgeous hotel in a 15th century building brimming with artwork, beautiful architecture, and charming service from most of the staff.

It is a five minute walk from the Duomo and the Mercado San Lorenzo. Perfect location! The continental breakfast was generous, fresh and served by an excellent staff! We were never in the hotel until late and so did not use the bar, although it came highly recommended.

Our room was had a lovely garden view on the first floor and was in beautiful condition considering the age of the property and longevity of the business. Appointed with good quality antique furniture and a bath that appeared to have been recently renovated. Very nice! Ample towels and always cleaned early in the day.

The mosquito problem mentioned in other reviews had been mentioned in numerous travel books about Florence and my daughter who lives and studies in Florence and so we were not surprised. There were a good number of outlets, I brought adapters and my cousin was given both another adapter and an Apple charger when she asked for one at the desk.

WiFi is only located in public areas of the hotel and not inthe rooms. A small but noted inconvenience.

The staff was genial, fluent in English and other lanquages and for the most part very responsive.
There was some confusion about the bill when we let them know we would be checking out a day early and would the special rate be honored, but that was resolved when we spoke with a supervisor. There was a slight problem with the speed with which our front desk check out as we had been told to come to the desk with about 10 minutes before we needed a car. The staff worked one at a time to check out the woman in front of us VERY SLOWLY, but we were able to get our car and leave just a few minutes late. This stems from a very different standard for efficient service US vs. Europe and was not much of a bother for me. Just show up with 20 minutes to spare and you'll have no problem.

My cousin and I never noticed noise from neighbors, but one night a neighbor knocked on the wall while we were chatting over what to do the next day. We were stunned, but spoke softer and no further problem.

We were there from October 24th - 27th and other, older guests complained to us about their lack of air-conditioning; we were very comfortable in our room and the different areas of the hotel. It was an unusually warm spell during our stay.

I would return again to the lovely Hotel Monna Lisa asking for a garden view room and perhaps one of the even lovelier rooms pictured on the site. Our room was very nice, but I now see some gorgeous rooms on the site. It had come highly recommended to me by several different sources and I would also recommend it well! Truly wonderful place!

Room Tip: Garden view, upper floor!
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Angel T
Reviewed November 11, 2013

Good location and friendly enough staff but constantly had to ask the staff to stop smoking outside our room as we had the window open. It was really stuffy at night and I booked through British Airways Holidays and I have to say I will NEVER use them again. When I wrote to advise them they really need to update their grading of this hotel, I was told that because the hotel was old and in a historic building I was expecting too much.

Room Tip: Don't take the Twin Room pretty much in Reception. So noisy. Ask for a Garden view room at the back of the hotel. Be prepared to be bitten by mosquitos and the rooms are incredibly stuffy.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Catherine H
Reviewed November 9, 2013

We had to take the rugs and bedspread out of the room because they were dusty. The room was small and dark. The window was so high that we needed to tiptoe to see out of it. Bathroom just about ok. Breakfast was terrible, poor selection and poor quality. The reception staff were helpful. The main entrance is nice with a great ceiling. There was an amazing vintage lambretta in the hallway. It was quiet and near to the centre. Book only if there is no where else or it is much cheaper.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple