“Good value”

Ranked #284 of 422 Hotels in Florence
Alpharetta, Georgia
“Good value”
Reviewed May 19, 2012

The hotel is good value. It is right on the border of the main tourist area but is well-connected and walking distance from all nearby destinations. Can get very good deal and is well-worth the money.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank PriyaChicago

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Greek first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
London
Reviewed May 11, 2012

Can't say anything too bad about this hotel but can't say anything too good either. The Hotel is a long way from the centre, to try and put this in perspective we are keen walkers but this is just a shade further than even we like to walk (you really can't nip back in the middle of the day). That said however it is a nice enough walk and you get to see a bit more of the town and there are a couple of nice (reasonably priced) bakeries on the way in and a bar or two on the way back.

The hotel itself is clean enough and the bed was ok but the service is non-existant, our room was cleaned to a prefunctury standard daily and nothing was stolen so again nothing to recommend it but also nothing to get upset about. The showers are good & hot enough and there's free internet in the lobby - side note don't use the wi-fi in the rooms it drops frequently and left us with high roaming charges.

To give an example of the indifference I am talking about, after our room was cleaned we were left with only a tiny sliver of toilet paper so on my way out I mentioned this, now I'm not looking for someody to fall on their sword or anything but i would hope they'd say something like sorry, I'll have one delivered to your room. Instead the chap on reception went and fetched me a toilet roll. I was smartly dressed and clearly on my way to dinner so quite what he thought I was going to do with it is something only he can know!

There was one young lad with dark hair who tried hard and always seemed pleased to help (in fairness I'm not sure he gets much praise from his manager) but aside from that I get the impression the staff are resigned to the fact that they are a budget hotel with budget customers. If you are the owner of this hotel you seriously need to talk to the staff it could be so much more.

I'm not saying don't stay here but equally I'm not saying do, it's a bit like a cheap travel lodge with the personality removed. After a Florentine experience then avoid, after a safe choice with the basics then it will provide.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Somerville, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed May 9, 2012

My fiancee and I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights while Florence. Our room had the basic necessities: Queen bed, private bathroom, TV, window, desk and a closet.

Although our room was small, we had a corner room and it was perfectly square so that made the space feel bigger than it really was. The bed was slightly uncomfortable, but it did the trick after walking countless hours on those small cobblestone streets. The bathroom was clean and everything worked fine. The only downside is that the shower is an open shower with no door or curtain so water tends to get all over the floor while using it. Didn't watch any TV, but the WIFI worked without a hitch and was reliable so emailing friends and family of our travels was easy. Everything was clean and in good order and I never felt grossed or skeeved out by anything.

Breakfast was an extra 6.50 euro. What I didn't know was that you have to go down to the front desk to buy the tickets, then present them to the kitchen staff. Breakfast there had all of your usual suspects: croissants, nutella, toast, cereal, espresso, cheese, deli meat, eggs, yogurt, pastries, etc. I'd say it was worth it. It saved us some time and everything tasted great. I'm sure going out somewhere else for breakfast would have had the same menu and cost more.

The staff was very courteous and spoke English which was very helpful for us. The only thing that worried me was when we checked out, we left our luggage in the storage room for a few hours so that we could do some last-minute exploring before we left Florence. They didn't charge and it was in a locked room. When we got back, we saw the door was wide open because the woman at the front desk was re-stocking some things but was not near the door for some time. This worried us, we checked our bags immediately and nothing was missing. We didn't leave anything critical like our passports in our luggage, but still would've been a bummer if my tablet went missing.

The location is not ideal, but that was fine with us. It was about a 25 euro cab ride from Peretola Airport. Pretty much everywhere we wanted to go was a 10 or 15 minute walk from our hotel. Our longest walk was to Ponte Vecchio which was maybe a solid 20 minute walk. But that didn't bother us, we had nice weather and there is so much to see along the way.

The best part is the price. The total for a 2 night stay for the 2 of us was only $200. That's 200 US dollars, not euros! I couldn't believe how cheap it was! i was expecting something really sketchy, but on the contrary it was a very pleasant experience and would definitely stay with them again.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are better. More space, better view.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank amandion
IRELAND
Reviewed March 22, 2012

evething is ok ...good value...a bit far to the city
the public bus very handy every 5 min ..
nice tv channel and free wifi ..i m be back

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Reviewed March 12, 2012

Rooms of this hotel was very small.And not so close to city centre.But price is acceptable....

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank KEYAtik
Sao Paulo, Brazil
Reviewed February 29, 2012

The building is new and modern, very clean, good room and shower.
The parking is also a difference if you are driving

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 16, 2012

The hotel isn't bad, but no fireworks. It isn’t new, but has been renovated recently, so it’s quite clean. My first bad impression was the reception: it looks very poor, specially the “hotel shop” that looks like a gas station shop or even worse, and the receptionists wearing sweaters, don’t look like a hotel staff at all. I’m not sure if they are helpful, I would rather call them “formally polite”. The rooms look like at the photos so that’s good: no cheat on the internet. The rooms are really small (I saw on the plans that there are some spacious rooms in other part of the hotel, but only Italian people lived there. I don’t understand why we were not given a larger room if the hotel was completely empty, a standard double room is really small. The other problem is that we could hear every word our neighbors said, no intimacy at all.
There were few other inconveniences like no trash can in the room (only the small one in the bathroom), one big shower towel per person (no towels to dry our hair or hands), dirty windows, no space to put your clothes, so we had everything in our bags, and a terrible mess in the room).
The cleaning service is OK but they do only what they really HAVE TO(in the end they only change or even dry the towels and they make the bed, they don’t vaccum, etc.)
Unfortunately the location is not good: 20 minutes walking to the city center, 25-30 to the Duomo, but it’s quite well communicated.
The breakfast cost about 7 euro per person and it included bread, ham, cheese, scrambled eggs, jam, croissants and oranges. Not expensive but not a bargain either.
Concluding, the hotel wasn’t really good, but our friends’ hotels located in the city center were even worse, so maybe it’s not the worst choice to stay at BB Capitol.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business