New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #44 of 421 Hotels in Florence
Sydney
“A room with a view”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

I stayed at this hotel last month for 4 nights. We were in a top floor room with a view over the ponte vecchio and arno. Definitely a "room with a view". On driving into Firenze some streets were blocked off and we had difficulty finding the hotel. The staff were very friendly and extremely helpful (than you Francesca). We checked in, they took care of our car, and we went to the 5th floor in a tiny but adequate elevator , went to our room, and found our oasis in Florence. The room was massive, huge kingsize bed, white sheets, white curtains, gorgeous white curtains that enveloped around the entire bed, beautiful fixtures and fittings, huge wonderful bathroom.

Breakfast was good, they would cook bacon, eggs any style and there was a good continental style selection on the buffet. I dont agree with the previous review that breakfast was not good.

The location of this hotel is the best in Florence, it IS as simple as that, you are on the lungarno next to the ponte vecchio.....fabulous.

Yes, there was a smell, you could only notice it in the reception area, once away from there it was gone. I didnt think it was sewerage but rather scents from the spa (which is were I traced it to be coming from).

Our room was cleaned twice daily and meticulously. Beautiful towels, clean gorgeous sheets, spotless. I left the housekeeper a tip I was so impressed.

I am slightly older than most of the crowd (groovy young things in Firenze) so could feel "out of it " if that was a problem, at no time did I feel uncomfortable or that the staff (bar upstairs which is wonderful) were judging me or my partner.

This place is highly recommended by me. I would return in a heart beat.
Now I am going to review Portrait Suites in Rome, which was also fabulous..I just love Italy.

Room Tip: High floors with view of the arno and ponte vecchio I think ours was room 54.
1 Thank drswoods
PG C, Responsabile reception at Continentale, responded to this review, July 6, 2013
Thank you for the outstanding, and highly detailed, review! We are so very glad you enjoyed your stay with us! My staff and I here in Florence greatly look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Italy, and I’m sure our colleagues in Rome feel the exact same way! Thank you again!

Piergiorgio Cavallari

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Ipswich, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

Lonely Planet tips the roof top bar as the perfect place for a sundowner. You can't even see the sun go down! It was full of pretentious people who just glared at us (and we had dressed for the occasion too). We didn't even stay for a drink it felt so uncomfortable.

The staff on reception were really unpleasant too. So glad we chose to stay somewhere else. I can honestly say that everywhere we went in Florence during our stay was a lot nicer than this place.

If you are looking for a place to watch the sun go down, grab a couple of glasses of prosecco from the cafe bar right next to the ponte Vecchio, and go and sit on the next bridge along. Romantic and the most amazing sunset view we could have asked for. Who needs an over-rated bar, when the bridges do the job perfectly!

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank louisochka
PG C, Responsabile reception at Continentale, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Thank you for the review. We apologize if you were misinformed by Lonely Planet about being able to see the sunset from our Sky Lounge Terrace Bar. We will contact them straight away to clarify why they have written that and to have them correct this misleading information immediately! We apologize again for any inconvenience this may have caused you.
I hope you decide to stay with us on your next trip to Florence, even for a brief period, so that you can truly experience the friendliness of our staff.
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

I stayed at the Continentale last month and I had a terrible time, for a few reasons.

1. During my four days spent at the hotel, there was an awful smell of sewage all around the hotel. I travelled with 2 other friends and we all smelt this smell, as well as other guests of the hotel. But when I would mention it to hotel staff, they pretended as if they didn't smell it. It was so bad that I did not want to come back in to the hotel at times.

2. During my stay, the cleaning services were absoloutley horrific. Upon arrival to my room, there were no towels/toilet tissue in the room. I mentioned this to the cleaning staff, and the housekeeper dismissed me and told me not to ask her anything. As unprofessional as this was, I went to reception and they told me they would put towels and tissue in my room. What kind of a hotel doesn't put them there before you arrive?!

3. There was hair on the floor of the bathroom when we arrived.

4.Additionally, cleaning was not done in our rooms ( We booked two rooms), all was done was the bed duvet was tidied up. The hair on the floor of the bathroom that was there on our first day had not been hoovered at all during our stay. Our room was not hoovered at all during our stay! And we have proof as none of the hair was cleaned up nor the dust that surrounded the room.

5. When the housekeeping ' cleaned' the room (which meant tidying up the bed) they did not put additional toilet tissue. Again we mentioned this to the reception, but nothing was done about it so it ended up in us buying our own from the supermarket!

6. The hotel itself was very run down, old and dirty wooden floors as well as a lift which did not work properly. I got stuck in it twice and it is the smallest elevator I have ever been in.

My overall stay was very bad, the staff were rude, cold and unpleasant. When we arrived there was nobody to help with our bags. Breakfast was so unfortunate that we again ate outside of the hotel even if we had paid for breakfast to be included. I really do not recommend this hotel to anyone, they need to sort out a lot as they are not up to standards with a 4 star hotel but a 2 star hotel.

Room Tip: No swimming pool, no spa.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Alessandra P
PG C, Responsabile reception at Continentale, responded to this review, July 13, 2013
First and foremost I would like to offer my sincerest apologies for what occurred during your stay. Your feedback is extremely important to us. Seeing that your comments were very well detailed I would like to take the opportunity to personally excuse myself and my staff for any and all inconveniences incurred.

We are strongly struck and deeply affected by your non-positive experience during your stay with us and are particularly sorry for not having found adequate solutions in a timely manner.

Regarding the mishap with the towels and the toilet paper, we made an in-depth verification and greatly apologize for the misunderstanding.; however, we would also like to emphasize that we pay particular attention to cleaning standards. For this reason we thank you for your review and assure you that all of the necessary actions have been taken so that these occurrences do not happen again. Once again, we would like to apologize for the inconveniences.

However, one thing certainly did stupefy us and that is your inconvenience with the lift. I’m so very sorry you did not appreciate it. Nonetheless, we can assure you that our lift is not only within the legal norms, but it was also carefully selected for its style and for being one of the most up-to-date on the market today.

We would be very grateful for the opportunity to have you as guests in our hotel once again, in order to fully attest to the amount of care and attention we put into selecting our highly-qualified, client-oriented staff.

Kindest regards,

Campinas, São Paulo, Brazil
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

We had a great time at this hotel. Location is fantastic, just by Ponte Vecchio, very close to Piazza della Signoria. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Accomodations were amazingly modern and comfortable. A great hotel in a superb city.

1 Thank Kleber S
PG C, Responsabile reception at Continentale, responded to this review, August 11, 2013
Fantastic review, thank you! We are glad you enjoyed both the hotel and the wonderful city of Florence. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip here, hopefully in the very near future! Thank you again!

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

We didnt stay in the hotel but we had been given a recommendation to go and have drinks at the roof top bar. We absolutely loved the rooftop bar, it felt really magical, with great views, really cozy, has the wow factor as the sun goes down, great blankets if it gets chilly and fab cocktails, this place is a must visit when in Florence.

• 3 of 5 stars
2 Thank Leyla G
Glad you were able to experience and enjoy the Sky Lounge Roof-Top Bar! We certainly hope you come back to visit us on your next trip to Florence!

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

This is now my second day at Continentale - staying with my partner and a friend having all just flown in. It's a lovely hotel; aesthetically very tasteful, intimate lobby, great room with views and double glazing and a fantastic bathroom. There is a relaxation room with "daybeds" - just above street level where you can relax and watch the action on the street and on the Ponte Vecchio. The rooftop bar has incredible views and great cocktails. The staff are just wonderful. Brilliant service and always eager to please. The airline managed to lose my luggage and the staff here have been following up for me, tracking its whereabouts and keeping me regularly posted. I love this place - and its location can't be beaten.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars
PG C, Responsabile reception at Continentale, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Thank you for the lovely review! I am very glad my staff was proactive in finding your luggage and keeping you updated. We greatly look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel on your next trip to Florence. Thank you again for the review and for the positive feedback!

Harrogate, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013 via mobile

You really can't beat this for location. It's literally at the end of the Ponte Vecchio and you look onto it and across the Fiume River. Within a couple of minutes walk, you have the Uffizi, Duomo, and lots of restaurants and bars. The hotel is very very chic and minimilastic reminding me of a couple of hotels in London. It's white, cool, comfortable, and great service from staff. Bedroom we stayed in had a view across the bridge and the river, and was a reasonable size, with a large shower, seperate dressing room/ wash room. Not huge but adequate. Beds very comfortable and nice sheets on the bed.
Doesn't have many dining options in the actual hotel, and the dining offers seem to be spread across the sister hotels which are all close by. We didn't however use these and we ate out in some of the restaurants close by. We didn't have breakfast included although this was offered at 25 Euros. Step outside and for 11 Euros in Piazza Republica you can have a lovely breakfast sitting watching the world go by. Hotel does however have a very cool, roof top terrace bar with good rooftop views.

Overall this is a very nice hotel, pricey, but if you can stand the budget, then highly recommended

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
PG C, Responsabile reception at Continentale, responded to this review, May 25, 2013
Thank you for the wonderful review! We are glad you enjoyed your stay at our hotel! The minimalistic look of Hotel Continentale was inspired by the 1950’s fashion era. We apologize if we did not meet your expectations of finding a restaurant directly at the hotel; however, the next time you stay with us, we would love to have you at our Fusion Bar, either for a meal or just to try one of our barman’s special cocktails! Thank you again for the review and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel on your next trip to Florence!