“Wonderful Hotel in Florence”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Continentale

Continentale
Ranked #45 of 421 Hotels in Florence
Knoxville, Tennessee
“Wonderful Hotel in Florence”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2012

This is a small, centrally-located hotel just off the Ponte Vecchio in Florence. Very clean and well-appointed. Staff is very professional. Stunning view of Ponte Vecchio from the hotel bar. I highly recommend this hotel if you are going to Florence.

Room Tip: Ask for Room 701, even if you pay a little extra. You will be happy you did it.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2012 via mobile

Hotel Continentale is one of three hotels in the Ferragamo hotel group, all of which are located right next to the Ponte Vecchio. Continentale is perhaps the most affordable, if travelling as a single as I was, and I thoroughly recommend the hotel. The location is excellent, staff are helpful and happy, there is a relax-lounge zone which was perfect on the hot August afternoons, and the breakfast is excellent. Fresh fruits, cereal, meats, cheese, pastries and good coffee. I stayed for 5 nights in a single room which was well appointed and comfortable. The other standout feature is the rooftop bar, which is a wonderful location with lovely views. I recommend this hotel highly.

Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Westport, CT
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2012

We did a lot of research prior to booking this location, and I have to say it paid off. Staying here made the whole visit to Florence a truly memorable experience. Highlights are the room, the location, and the service.
I traveled extensively for work, and after awhile the rooms are rooms and some times home is better. The room we had at this hotel was just a pleasure, and I ENJOYED spending time there. I loved the design, modern, comfortable and serene. VERY quiet. Super clean. Extremely comfortable bed. Very well air conditioned during a particularly hot week. We really enjoyed staying here.
With regard to the location, I really can't imagine a better one. It is literally right at the top of the Ponte Vecchio, and at the bottom of the main shopping street. Everything is within walking distance. Great restaurants are near by, as are some lovely squares. Even late at night, people are out strolling or sitting in the square and all of this takes places steps away from the hotel. Having said that, you would never know that from inside, because it is quiet. Some of the rooms have views of the river, which is also unique. This hotel appears to want to be successful, and they work very hard at that.
Finally, I found the service to be excellent. Someone mentioned perhaps it was otherwise, and I'm sure that's possible, but it certainly was not our experience. They booked a train to Rome and had the tickets delivered (not necessary as we had walked to the train station the day before), and helped us with some sites. I have to dress for work all of the time, so I'm sure there were some days where I didn't look the part either, but they couldn't have been better. We did pay more for this hotel, but as conscious as we are about that, we both felt it was money well spent. Having the cleanliness, space, design, service and location were worthwhile, and we recommend highly this hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

What we liked:
- The Location: Our room overlooked the Ponte Vecchio and we were a short stroll from all the major attractions and shopping.
- The Room: Large living area and bathroom with windows opening up onto the Ponte Vecchio. Modern and clean.
- The Interiors: Funky modern interiors throughout the hotel.
- The Rooftop Bar: A great place for a quick drink before heading out or to watch the sunset over Florence. True to other people's experience this is rather small and it's hard to get a seat.
- The Wi-Fi: Quick and included in the price. As it should be.

What we didn't like:
- The Staff: They were ok but not the friendliest or most helpful bunch. As someone else commented a quick hospitality refresher course wouldn't go astray.
- The Shower: It leaked. At this stage of our travels through Italy we were not surprised as pretty much every shower in every place we had stayed leaked.
- The Cost: The hotel was borderline in terms of what you get for the price - it it hadn't included a free drink at the infamous rooftop bar, breakfast and a dinner then it would have been too much.

Overall, a great location and base for exploring Florence particularly for first time visitors. Make sure you get a room on the upper floors overlooking the river and go early if you want a seat the at rooftop bar.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CatnBear
Vancouver, BC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012 via mobile

I've noticed a theme in some of these reviews, and would like to echo with our own thoughts.

I first learned about this hotel about 10 years ago when I had a drink at the rooftop Sky Bar. The view is to die for. We managed to get some decent August rates (or relatively decent, it is still an expensive hotel) and so we enthusiastically booked for three nights.

The good - this hotel has a location that can't be beat, right on the river Arno and directly beside the Ponte Vecchio. The styling is its second strength - everything has a clean, 1960s feel to it. Linens are fresh and white, and the beds are the best we had in Italy.

Unfortunately it seems the hotel rests to much on its stylish reputation, and we had a couple of experiences that made us feel like they were just grabbing for our euros.

1) The breakfast, at 25 euros, is a complete ripoff. Sure, its a beautiful spread, but we're talking about breakfast here. You can order a la carte (if you ask firmly) and get just an omelette for about 8 euro. Do they really think that if I eat at the Buffett I will eat three times as much?? Every other hotel we stayed at in Italy included breakfast in the price.

2) The sky bar is beautiful, but with a confusing reservation system. We came up for a cocktail around 5:30 or 6 o'clock each night and noticed that the best tables always had reserved signs on them. By the time we would leave for dinner at 7:30 the tables were still empty. The bartender also had a habit of short pouring my wine. 8 euros for a glass of maybe 4 ounces. Where I come from wine ordered by the glass should be 6 ounces, 5 at the very minimum.

It just irks me when a business charges what it thinks it can get away with, rather than what it thinks something is actually worth. In their attempt to squeeze a few more euros out of my wallet they left a sour taste in my mouth. I may return one day, but not until I am wealthy and wasteful enough to light my cigars with 500 euro bills.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank HotspurVancouver
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2012

Spectacular but calm room - white drapes and fab views even of the far distant countryside. Bath facilities were awesome. I slept like I had not slept for weeks. Breakfast nice but far too expensive and the separate large charge felt like a rip-off - a hotel of this quality does not need to taint its experience for visitors and should change this.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Jaffa36
Nottingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2012 via mobile

Mmmm. On the face of it this hotel is good. Great location, quiet and clean. However, there are things that are to be quite honest not acceptable.

Firstly the reception staff. If your face fits and you look the part then they couldn't do enough for you. Our experience was not good. They seemed to preoccupied with answering the phone, talking to other residents - even talking to each other.

Secondly the hallowed sky bar. On our first night in the hotel we decided to go and have a drink there before going out flr a meal - after all it was our wedding anniversary. On arrival at the sky bar we were accosted by a waiter. I said we just wanted to sit and have a drink...no can do. The waiter told me that this was not possible as the bar was full. Full? We are a resident...the 'beautiful people' (or so they thought they were) were not all residents...they didn't look like residents. We complained but to the reception that surely as residents we should at least have been given the opportunity to reserve a table in the sky bar. The receptionist did offer to speak to the waiter but to be honest the moment was gone.

I think to summarise there isn't anything wrong with this hotel. Well, nothing that a customer care course wouldn't solve oh and a lick of paint...some areas looked a bit tired. At the end of the day this hotel is marketed as a boutique hotel - indeed we booked through Mr & Mrs Smith. I think it is borderline boutique.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple