“Whenever I go back to Florence, I would like to stay here again”

Hotel Laurus al Duomo
Ranked #73 of 410 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed November 18, 2011

I stayed at Best Western Laurus with my wife between 5 and 9 November 2013.
First of all, the location of the hotel is superb, only 10 minutes walking distance to Santa Maria Novella train station and 3-4 minutes walking distance to Duomo (the cuppola of which you can see from hotel's breakfast terrace).

The rooms were also pleasant and clean (with parquet floors), and the breakfast was quite nice.The only setback of breakfast was self-service coffee machines, which spoiled the taste and pleasure of morning coffee. For a three star hotel, such a service is quite normal, but for a four star hotel of 'Premier' category, hotel guests tend to expect breakfast coffee served to their tables.

Overall, however, I am very pleased with my stay at Best Western Premier Hotel Laurus, and I would definitely stay there again whenever I get a chance to return to Florence

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
13  Thank gezgin_dromedary
VivaLaurus, Responsabile reception at Hotel Laurus al Duomo, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2011

Dir Sirs,
thanks for taking time and let us know about your experience in our Hotel.
Your kind comments are really appreciated.
We shall inform our property about your point of view concerning the machine coffee during breakfast.
We are happy that overall you pleased your stay with us and we hope to welcoming you in future again!
Best regards

Write a ReviewReviews (1,664)

Reviewed November 12, 2011

I booked my hotel accommodation myself for over 20 cities throughout USA, Europe and China - not only did I get the usual email confirmation, The Laurus actually mailed me the booking, credit card receipts and a map/brochure to my home address. I was pleasantly surprised.

Anyway, down to the nitty gritty - the room was very comfortable, spacious and extremely clean. Unfortunately I was a bit unwell while in Florence and I spent a lot of time in the room - I found it to be quiet and peaceful with lots of natural light. My room faced the street but I didn't have any problems with traffic noise.

The rooftop terrace was definitely a wonderful place to have breakfast (as many others have said) and the food was a good standard ... actually much better than some of the restaurants around Florence.

I found the staff to be professional and helpful and the location of the hotel is excellent. I received very good value for money here and I would have no hesitation in staying at the Laurus again.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank KittyPossum
VivaLaurus, Responsabile reception at Hotel Laurus al Duomo, responded to this reviewResponded November 15, 2011

Dear Sir,
thanks to write about your experience with us!
Your kind comments about the hotel and the staff are really appreciated.
We hope to have another opportunity to serve you soon.

Reviewed November 12, 2011

This place was just ok. The room was nice sized for Europe and it was clean. The re weren't any nice restaurant or formal bar facilities, but the breakfast/wine bar was adequate and the patio had a nice view.

• Stayed: November 2011
1  Thank KGREENW7
VivaLaurus, Responsabile reception at Hotel Laurus al Duomo, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2011

Dear Sirs,
thanking you for kind comment about our Hotel, we hope to welcoming you again to show you our Caffè Astra al Duomo situated just on the ground floor of our Hall.
We shall be glad to let you taste the quality and variety of the local product offered at breakfast time, at lunch time, aperitif time ecc, open from 07.30AM to 07.30PM

Kind regards

Reviewed November 7, 2011

As others have said you couldn’t ask for a better location. Only ten minutes walk from the main railway station and close to just about everything.

Having breakfast on the balcony with a view of Giotto's Tower was a real treat.

Rooms were neat and clean.

Breakfast was the usual but plentiful. My only complaint with breakfast was they had one of those horrible coffee machines that produced something akin to coffee flavoured dish water.

Free wi fi was provided but the signal was very weak.

The reception staff were not all that helpful. Would it kill them to smile once in a while?

overall a good experience and would stay here again.

2  Thank Swineton
VivaLaurus, Responsabile reception at Hotel Laurus al Duomo, responded to this reviewResponded November 9, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay at our Hotel Laurus al Duomo.
Guest satisfaction is the aim of our Management, for this reason comments, either positive or negative, are always appreciated.
We have taken note of your complaint about the coffee machines, tomorrow will be the technician to check the functioning. In fact, these coffee machines are made to make only good coffee!
We are happy that you had a good experience and you will return to visit us, you will find our reception staff ready to greet with a smile.

Reviewed November 3, 2011

The hotel is 300m from the station and the Duomo on a busy street. It is well placed for all the main tourist sites. The hotel is well furnished and the staff pleasant.

Our room was a good size, comfortable and had fast WiFi available. The rooms were cleaned very well. Most rooms face south overlooking a noisy street and have two sets of double glazing to keep our the people and traffic noise. With the sun shining through the glazing, the rooms get pretty warm. We tried the air conditioning but it is switched off from October. We managed to borrow a fan from reception and had the windows open for two hours every evening to cool things down.

The roof terrace is the highlight of the hotel which has great views of the Duomo. Breakfast and evenong drinks are served there. Overall, a pleasant hotel well geared up for tourists.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor preferably on the quiet (non street) side of the hotel
1  Thank altafearn
VivaLaurus, Responsabile reception at Hotel Laurus al Duomo, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2011

Thanks for taking time and write us about your stay in our Hotel.
Your kind comments are really appreciated.
We really hope to welcoming you in next future!

Reviewed November 2, 2011

This is very close to the Duomo and the Baptistery so you would be hard pressed to get a better location. A great location.The hotel staff was pleasant but reserved. Breakfast was good but not up to par to other Best Western hotels. The hotel is nice and the view from the upstairs breakfast lounge area is beautiful. I prepaid for the hotel, as I did for other hotels and even another Best Western. When I checked in, it was marked clearly that it was prepaid. When I checked out, I was told I needed to pay additional taxes which has not occurred in any of my trips to Europe in any country (and we come to Europe every year) and stay at least 1-2 Best Westerns during our stays abroad.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor so you can have an opportunity to get a view.
1  Thank Nina1940

Thanks for kind comments about your experience in our Hotel!
Please be informed that from July 1, 2011 came into force a new local Florentien tax (as in Rome, Venice ect) and that the site or the agency through which you booked and it knew would have to notify to Guests.
Hoping to welcoming you again on your next trip to Florence, we remain.

Reviewed October 30, 2011

Spouse, adult son, and I spent five nights here. Chose this hotel because spouse and I had stayed here about five years ago and thought location perfect for hotel we could afford. We paid for a suite, which featured two rooms separated by the bathroom. Sofa opened to a bed. Son reported it to be comfortable. Rooms were clean. Water was hot, with good pressure. Tub was deep - good for soaking tired feet and back. Only problem was stopper in sink, which, twice, got lodged in the drain and would not pop back up. Plumber needed to repair. Done relatively promptly. We would not hesitate to stay here again. Breakfast is included in room rate, and is served on rooftop, with view of the Duomo. Really special. Some of front desk staff more friendly than others. I try to cut people some slack, as it must be stressful to be required by one's work, to speak in a foreign language so much of the time, trying to make sense of all the varieties of "English."

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank mbeth1403
VivaLaurus, Responsabile reception at Hotel Laurus al Duomo, responded to this reviewResponded November 2, 2011

Dear Sir,
thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at our Hotel Laurus al Duomo, and thanks for coming back to our hotel after 5 years!
We were pleased to read your positive comments about hotel staff and services.
We really hope to welcoming you for the third time on your next visit to Florence.