“average hotel, but expensive for what you get”

Hotel Machiavelli Palace
Ranked #186 of 411 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed June 16, 2013

The internet access was very unreliable, my connection would drop every 5-10 minutes and sometimes would not connect at all. The breakfast is adequate at best. Rooms were very clean and the staff were extremely helpful and friendly. The location is very good, within walking distance of all of the Florence sights, the Duomo is 5 minute away. However, for the price, it was not quite worth it.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,259)

Reviewed June 14, 2013

We stayed here three nights in a triple room. The bedroom was very large and I found my bed to be comfortable although my friends found theirs a bit hard. Bathroom was quite small, but was clean, had a good shower and was perfectly adequate. There is a small but attractive roof terrace on the 3rd floor which provides a bit of outdoor space if your room doesn't have a balcony.
The key negatives about our room were (a) there was only one plug socket that fitted our standard european adaptor, the other sockets being a different size (not really a major problem but a bit annoying) and (b) the plumbing in our room and surrounding rooms was quite noisy so you could hear toilets flushing etc. However, again this was not a major problem unless you are a very light sleeper.
Breakfast was an adequate continental breakfast, nothing special but fine. Service was good, with the staff at reception being very helpful in booking a day trip for us.

The best thing about the hotel is its location. It is just a 5 minute walk from the station (Firenze SMN) which is also where a number of the tour companies pick up for day trips, so very convenient. Despite being so close to the station, we felt perfectly safe walking back to the hotel at night, and did not feel the area was 'dodgy' as can be the case near major train stations in other cities. There are many cafes and restaurants in the streets around the hotel, and all of the tourist attractions are easily accessible on foot. Approx 5-10mins to the Duomo, 20 mins to Ponte Vecchio.

Room Tip: Other reviewers have suggested asking for a room that doesn't overlook the street. Our room fac...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 10, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for 6 nights during a business trip in May 2013. This month was unusually cold, and the hotel has no heating at all! Outside it was much warmer than inside! I can't imagine anyone stay in this place in winter... I literally had to sleep in my clothes, even with an additional blanket. The same experienced my 5 colleagues in their rooms. In general, the hotel is poorly furnished, very thin pillows and blankets, very small towels. Strong draughts in the bathroom. Extremely bad wi-fi connection. Impolite staff. In general, ugly hotel, would not recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 4, 2013

I stayed at this hotel while in town for a friend's wedding, and we enjoyed our stay very much. It's a solid 3-star hotel with a nice breakfast. What made this hotel great, though was that I had forgotten my cell phone charger in the room. They were very helpful, and let me know the charger was found and also that they would give me the option of how to mail it to me (overnight vs. regular post). In the end, they mailed it to me at their expense, regular mail and it was really above and beyond. One thing to note is that in the travel bed which they had set-up the liner was coming apart, so we had some yucky residue we had to shake out of her bed, but I had forgotten to mention it because we were so busy with the wedding. I hope the hotel replaces those, but that's certainly not a huge complaint...and can be easily remedied.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 3, 2013

We stayed here for five nights during our honeymoon and it was fine. Florence hotels all seemed a little expensive during this time (spring), so this seemed as good a bet as others. Our hotel room was large, with our own balcony (though this does not appear standard). It was noisy during rush hour, but probably due to its location- its basically around the corner from the train station, which was a plus for us. The bed was very firm and rather unformfortable, but otherwise it was pleasent and spacious. The staff was helpful, though breakfast was usually a little sub-par (cappucino machines instead of a barista- horrors!). I would recommend this for travelers staying a night or two tops, who would like to be close to the train station.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 31, 2013

I am writing this from the hotel, using their free wifi (which, may I add, is incredibly fast and convenient). I've been here with my family for two nights now and can honestly say that I couldn't imagine a better place to stay.
The triple we're in is huge with a wonderful bathroom and really comfy beds (especially considering this is Italy we're talking about and beds are a bit notorious). On arrival we were greeted by a full fruit bowl and a personal letter welcoming us. We were given a map of Venice and treated with the utmost friendliness. Special requests were instantly accommodated and even bringing a dog wasn't a problem at all.
And don't get me started on the location! We are so close to absolutely everything important that we just put the car in a parking garage (actually we didn't, we just handed over the keys and the hotel took care of everything) and started exploring on foot.
Breakfast, as many before me have mentioned is wonderful as well and when I returned to the room just now I found a bottle of wine waiting for me with compliments of the hotel staff, simply because we are staying two more days. I can honestly say I have never felt more welcome or enjoyed myself more in any hotel I've been.
If you are still wondering which hotel to pick, go for this one and I'm sure you won't regret it!

Room Tip: The triple room is very spacious, easily allowing enough room for a family.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank MakaniValur
Reviewed May 20, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 7 nights and we had a very good experience. Staff was friendly and very helpful. The room was small but very clean and comfortable. Breakfast buffet was excellent. The hotel is very well located and you can go on foot to all the sites. Really loved it!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends