“Nil for customer service”

Grand Hotel Adriatico
Ranked #110 of 411 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed October 1, 2012

Its never a good start when you walk into a hotel and the recepionist looks as if the last thing she wants to see is another tourist. Within twenty seconds or so it was obvious that we weren't expected and there was much jabbering about our booking going on behind the screen in reception. We were told there was a problem with the booking (through Voyage Prive), that it was the hotels fault not ours or the agents, and they were trying to sort it out. A few minutes later they found a room for us and we were given the key and a key card with the room number on it and our check out date five days hence.
As soon as we got to the room I realised it was a basic room and not the superior room we had booked and paid for over three months before. I returned to reception and asked them to confirm what sort of room it was. Only then did they admit that it was a standard room which was all they had at that time but we would be able to move in the morning. When we were given the key it wasnt mentioned that this was a lower category than the room booked and that we would be able to move the next day. They obviously hoped that we wouldnt realise we had been downgraded and would just check out without question at the end of our stay.
The following morning after breakfast I again visited reception and was told we would be able to move to a superior room in half an hour. 45 minutes later the room was ready and we moved. The second room was satisfactory and more or less what I had expected in the first place.
By the time we had unpacked again it was nearly noon and we belatedly set off to explore Florence. On the way out I stopped off at reception to say that the room was fine and to ask about compensation. The man in charge told us there could be no compensation as we were now in a suite (first mention of this and it certainly didnt look like one). I told him that because of the hotels mistake we had spent our first night in a very basic room and wasted our first morning in Florence changing rooms so maybe as a goodwill gesture he would like to offer us dinner in the restaurant that night "on the house"
He said the best he could offer was a drink at the bar. After a heated exchange I told him to forget it.
This whole episode got our stay in Florence off to a lousy start.
This was our second poor experience at a Best Western hotel. We will never stay at one of their properties again.

Room Tip: If paying up front make sure you get the room you have paid for.
2  Thank JohnCSMartin
Caporicevimento, Direttore at Grand Hotel Adriatico, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2012

Dear Sir,

Thanks for the time you spent for this review which is really important for us; I don’t agree with the description you wrote as it’s true that you were an inaspected Client (as we told you somehow our booking office made a mistake with your booking) but immediatly we assured you that we were able to find a solution. In a couple of minutes we found a standard room and I personally explaned to you that this was only for one night, the first one of your stay with us (there were no superiors or better rooms available at your arrival being the hotel fully booked) and that we were able to change it the day after upgrading you in a “junior suite”.
The day after I explaned to you that you could leave your luggage ready in the old room as we were able to move it in the new accomodation but you preffered to stay there and wait till the other room was ready. Due to our previous mistake we assigned you without any extra charge , a “junior suite” instead of the superior room as reserved. In only 45 minutes our made finished to prepare the new “junior suite” and you moved there with your satisfaction. When you came down you thank me for the assistance and you asked for a compensation “demanding” 2 meals at our restaurant. I tried to explain you that in order to compansate our mistake we had given you a “junior suite” instead of a superior and offering you an “aperitif” at our bar. At this time you became angry telling me to forget it.
I can assure you that when, very seldom, we make a mistake we are already ready to give compensation to our Guests but it must be a “fair compensation” which is two nights in a junior suite against staying in a standard room instead of a superior room for one night plus an aperitif for two.

With best regards.
Daniele Benelli
Front Office Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,645)

Reviewed October 1, 2012

We spent one might here because it was a few doors down from our car rental. Wished we had knowned about it when we first started planning our trip to Florence. We walked in and got a rate of 80 euros. The location is close to the train station and a short walk to the center of Florence. Our room was beautiful, cool, and comfortable. I loved the pink and blue towels in the bathroom. The service was great. The reception people were extremely helpful to us and other guests. The breakfast had a large variety of very tasty food. The breakfast room was very elegant compared to other places we stayed in Italy.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Caporicevimento, Direttore at Grand Hotel Adriatico, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2012

Thanks a lot for the description you gave about our hotel, for us is fantastic to see that you liked our rooms, aour breakfast and all our services. I hope to welcome you again in florence at our hotel. Warm regards. Daniele Benelli Assistant Manager

Reviewed September 29, 2012

The American standards of service were very welcome in this hotel after a drive from Venice. The bedroom & bathroom were very nicely fitted out & clean and the buffet breakfast made it easy to eat on a gluten free diet.
Their standards of service really shone after we had left when I discovered my iPad wasn't with me. I was unable to use it in the room as wifi is only available in the lobby (my only complaint) so we used my husband's laptop with the ethernet cable. I put my iPad away so safely I didn't notice it when we were packing and couldn't remember where I had put it when we contacted them from our next hotel.
It wasn't found by the staff or subsequent guests so I had given up hope of seeing it again. But Daniele Benelli, the Assistant Manager, didn't give up and must have gone through the room with a fine-tooth comb as he located my iPad and then found a way to send it back to me in England.
He is a credit to his hotel and I hope his bosses are aware of his attention to detail and diligence.
I can't thank him enough!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Caporicevimento, Direttore at Grand Hotel Adriatico, responded to this reviewResponded October 13, 2012

Thanks a lot for your review, it's a good thing for us to read that you appreciate your experience at our hotel and thanks again also for the compliments you made to our staff and to me personally. I hope to welcome you again at our hotel. Warm regards.
Daniele Benelli Assistant Manager

Reviewed September 28, 2012

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed September 27, 2012

My family of 5 were in Florence for 3 days in August. Very hot, but it was a pleasure after shopping all day to come back to a cool hotel and room. Staff was great.Helped out with tours,local resturants and shopping areas. Happy hour at the bar was great. The breakfast was very good. The resturant on premisis is outstanding. This hotel location could not be better. We will be back in 2 years! We cant't wait. Thanks so much for you professionalism!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Caporicevimento, Direttore at Grand Hotel Adriatico, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2012

Many thanks for the time you spent to write this review and also many thanks for the positive comment you gave about our hotel and our staff; it's a great thing for us to read a good review as your. I hope reaaly to welcome back again in two years. With best regards. Daniele Benelli Assistant Manager

Reviewed September 24, 2012

I ended up at this hotel quite by accident, but if I ever get to return to Florence, this is definitely where I will stay. I was travelling solo and felt safe and comfortable at this hotel.

The hotel is walking distance from the train station, and the rooms are clean and comfortable. The finishes in the bathroom were very nice, and gave the room a high-end feel. In the morning, there is a quite a nice breakfast served, which is included with the room.

The best part, however, was the staff. Everyone was really helpful. The night that I arrived, the woman working at the desk drew on a map for me to show me exactly where we were located, and she also marked the location of several small, casual restaurants that I could walk to and would be comfortable in for a solo dinner. She also supplied me with tools, and offered the services of a porter, when the lock on my suitcase jammed and wouldn't open.

The next morning, a different desk clerk was working, and he helped me to find a walking tour that I could join, and he also arranged the ticket for me. Later that day, he also helped me to understand bus routes so that I could travel outside of Florence on day trips with some amount of confidence that I would end up where I wanted to be.

The only thing that prevents this hotel from getting full marks is the internet access. You must pay for access, which I would not mind if the connection was better. However, I found the connection slow, especially when using the hotel's computer located in the lobby. My advice is to stay here, but use an internet cafe elsewhere if you need to be online.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank OttawaJennifer
Reviewed September 19, 2012

We stay here every year. The bedroom and bathroom are excellent with good lighting, comfortable bed, desk, chairs (2) fridge and very good shower over bath. You can request tea/coffee making equipment. There is a pillow menu. The iron/ironing board I borrowed was also very good. We use the secure car park which is very important. As the internet is expensive we bring our own 'dongle.'
The breakfast is not great unfortunately and the staff could be better trained. The hotel has those awful hard to steal hangers which I loathe. It is an easy walk to Santa Maria Novella and all the good shops as well as the Ponte Vecchio. Superb restaurants nearby and one of the best shoe shops (as shown in hotel showcase). Easy to get to SMN train station. There is a small courtyard garden and a bar (with Happy Hour discount). Shame the food is not better.

Room Tip: Superior rooms overlook car park but the standard rooms are fine. Room 108 was very good but sadly p...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Thanks a lot for your kind review and also for the suggestions you gave us, of course we will take care about them. I hope to welcome you again at our hotel. Warm regards.
Daniele Benelli Assistant Manager