Croce di Malta Hotel
Hotel Lungarno(Florence)
$654
$634
  • Restaurant
All reviewsrooftop barswimming poolbathroom upstairstrain stationflorence rooftopsnice poolmaria novellastreet sidehotel restauranteasy walking distancecold cutsgreat central locationthree nightsmain sitesfive minute walkponte vecchiobalcony
Reviewed October 21, 2013

The location of this hotel was ideal, but don't be deceived by the updated lobby. The halls and rooms had a terrible odor. I understand that the structure is very old, but there has to be something to fix it. The smell hits you like a ton of bricks the second you walk off the elevator. Also, we were itchy our entire stay and had bites all over. We discovered fleas on our final day at the hotel, which completely disgusted us.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 7, 2013

An excellent hotel to stay in Florence, we were three in a room , for which they gave us a duplex room. Very spacious. Staff is very friendly. Location is close to the station with great restaurants nearby. Their breakfast is just great. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: If there three in a group ask for the duplex room, in which u get a living room with a full bathroom downstairs. Upstairs u get a room split in two sides. On the first side we had a queen bed and the other side we got two single beds with a full bathroom. Their rooms are very clean and the bathrooms are done up very well.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Rita K
Reviewed September 19, 2013

A 4 star hotel that provides a high standard of service to the guests. The hotel is very comfortable with spacious twin rooms that comfortably accommodated 2 friends travelling together. Bathroom is small with no place to store toiletry bag and shower is tiny but water is hot and strong. Twin beds are comfy but pillows are hard. Another great plus was the fresh towels and sheets each day - lovely to come back to after a long day walking this beautiful city.

The breakfast room is not huge and as tours use this hotel constantly, a level of patience is needed as you navigate between the food, the hot beverages and tables. There is outside dining that overlooks a nice garden and pool area however you will be sharing your table and meal with the pidgeons!
Location is brilliant and easy walking to all sights. If arriving by train it is easy to walk to hotel with bags. There are plenty of great restaurants in the adjacent Piazza Santa Maria Novella. ( if you want a plush food experience, head for the JK Place Hotel and sit inside - it is beautiful and quiet and the food and service 2nd to none. Ask for Martin.)
As mentioned the service at hotel was fabulous and special mention must be made of Luca and Sylvia who were so attentive and prepared to help from finding a masseur (Charne) to a terrific hairdresser 5 minutes down the road - Donnini (Massimo). All the tips they gave us were spot on. If you are in need of a laundromat, there are 2 within 5 minutes of the hotel - one provides a personal service and will do your wash and dry for 8 euros (but doesn't fold), or alternatively a self serve that costs €8+ €1for powder) for a wash and dry (beware, you will need correct coins as no change is given).

Room Tip: Room tip, if you are a light sleeper ask for a room not facing the street as the traffic is constant and can be quite noisy and intrusive.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 16, 2013

This hotel has everything you need, to include space. My room was two-stories, had two bathrooms, mini bar, flat screen TV and a large window overlooking the front street. An earlier review I read said that the hotel's air was centrally regulated. This is not true. I was able to adjust the air however I wanted. My room was also VERY clean. Although I didn't get a chance to use it, the hotel also had a pool. As far as breakfast goes, it's continental. Scrambled eggs, bacon, cereal, Ham & cheese, bread, yogurt, boiled eggs, fruit and some extras. I think this is a great place to stay. It was pretty modern as if I were home, yet still had the touches of Italy.

Upon check-in, the concierge was very informative, but you had to ask what you wanted to know. They called the taxi when needed and greeted us each time we came back in (even at 4am). We needed an iron and they brought it to our room with an ironing board within about 5min. I wanted to mention Silvia specifically. I started to panic slightly when I realized we needed to have a printout of our tour reservations (which was that same day at 11:30). We went to the front desk and Silvia took her time to help us get it printed out. All with a smile.

I would definitely stay here again next time. My surroundings didn't make me feel out of place one bit. And it's just a plus to be right around the corner from the terminal.

Room Tip: If you want something specific, you need to state it (like a room with a balcony).
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 11, 2013

I have stayed at the Hotel Croce di Malta every summer for the last three years. It is the ONLY hotel I stay in while in Florence. The rooms are clean, spacious, and beautiful. They have incredible air conditioning and all of the modern conveniences you want (especially during the sweltering summers in Italy) and yet still manage to feel homey and comfortable. Importantly, there is a POOL and a rooftop TERRACE. Pools are extremely rare in Florence and can make all of the difference in the world (again, especially during the warmer months). The rooftop terrace has a stunning uninterrupted view of the duomo and is the perfect place to have a toast with prosecco or relax after a long day of sightseeing. The staff is welcoming and friendly, which can't be said for many hotels in Florence. The location is great - just off of the Piazza Santa Maria Novella, close enough to walk to/from the train station with your luggage, and a five-minute walk to the city center. This is one of the best hotels in Florence, my personal favorite, and worth all four stars.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends