“Great location, nice staff, good breakfast but...” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel de La Ville

Hotel de La Ville
Ranked #57 of 421 Hotels in Florence
Ny, NY
“Great location, nice staff, good breakfast but...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2014

While in between work meetings I had some time to spend in Florence, and based on the reviews on here, I booked a single room on hotels.com for about 225 euro a night.
The hotel is in a great location, and a plus is that it is on a street where there are no cars, so I think it makes it a little more quiet in that area. There is a beautiful church across from the hotel, and you can go inside and look around.
My room itself was super small. Being a New Yorker, it didn't bother me, plus I didn't spend a lot of time in there. But it was clean and I felt safe staying there since I was by myself. Also, the water pressure in the shower was good. Something I value!
The staff was great, especially the concierge, Barbara. I asked her to arrange for me a private bike tour of the city, and she called a few people and made it happen. Plus, she picked a good bike guide for me, Keira, and I had a great time and I felt it was money well spent.
They have a nice happy hour and a great breakfast at the hotel, so that was very convenient.
The only drawback is the walls are so thin. I could hear the guy in the bathroom next to me, and I heard everything in the hallway, including the staff running up and down and cleaning the rooms. That was kind of annoying, but maybe it was the size and location of the room. I have stayed in a few hotels in Italy, and I feel like thin walls are kind of the norm.
In summary, should my travels bring me back to Florence, I would stay here again. I hope this was helpful!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank je43081
HtlDeLaVille, Front Office Manager at Hotel de La Ville, responded to this review, June 3, 2014
Dear Guest,

I was absolutely delighted to read your very kind words following your stay at the Hotel De La Ville.
I must also thank you for your nice lines about our team and our services with a special thanks to our Barbara.
We especially appreciated your nice remarks about our quiet pedestrian and historical location and about our "great breakfast" and nice happy hour at the bar.
Thanks a lot for recommending our hotel to others travellers and we very much look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel De La Ville for a second stay.

Hotel De La Ville - Firenze

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Houston, TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014

This is a very nice hotel - very well positioned to everything in Florence. It's close to great restaurants, shopping, etc. The rooms were incredibly nice, and the staff was wonderful. The only thing I have to say is that the shower is a bit strange, by which when one does shower, the water runs all over the floor. My husband and I tried to fix it MANY times, to no avail. It's because there's not complete glass around the shower. HOWEVER - I will definitely stay here again. The staff was incredibly friendly, very helpful in regard to great restaurants to go to, and what to go see. 5 stars!

Room Tip: We were upgraded to the junior suite, and the view was stunning!
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HtlDeLaVille, Front Office Manager at Hotel de La Ville, responded to this review, June 11, 2014
Dear Guests,

it has been a pleasure to read your very nice review about your stay at our Hotel and thanks for sharing your experience on Tripadvisor community, the best word of mouth we could have.

We are pleased that you liked so much our location, actually in the heart of Florence, our nice and spacious rooms and the friendly and professional service of our staff.

Regarding your remark about the shower, actually we have rooms with bathtube which can be used also as shower partly rounded by a glass and other rooms with a shower stall completely closed by glasses.

Many thanks for the fifth star and we hope to see you again in a next future!

Our warmest regards

Keswick
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014

We arrived around 1 p.m. and the desk person found us a room that was ready - it wasn't the one that was originally reserved for us, but he could see that we really wanted to check in and relax. Amenities from bath products to robe and slippers were top quality. The breakfast was generous. The hotel is located within a few blocks of the Piazza della Duomo yet is very quiet. Wish we had planned to stay longer.

Room Tip: A tad disappointed about the pool. It was outside on the fifth floor and it was heated BUT it was at...
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HtlDeLaVille, Front Office Manager at Hotel de La Ville, responded to this review, June 5, 2014
Dear Guests,

thank you for taking the time to review your recent experience at the Hotel De La Ville.
I was pleased to hear your remark about our attentive concierge and reception service and that you liked our nice and generous breakfast.
We are glad you have really appreciated our top quality bath products.

I look forward to sharing your complimentary review with all the hotel staff and hope to welcome you back soon for a longer stay.

Best Regards

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2014

This is a very nice hotel, well located and convenient to tourist sights, good restaurants and good shopping. We had a beautiful "family suite" that was on two levels, a bedroom/bath on the first floor and a second bedroom/bath on the second level. There were separate entrances on each level which would be handy if you're traveling with older children who might want to come and go on their own. The only small complaint I had was that because we were on the first/second floor with lovely, large stained glass windows, it was a little noisy in the evening. This was at the end of a long trip, so it didn't keep us awake, but worth mentioning. The front desk staff was incredibly helpful with directions, restaurants, and even where to shop with our college age daughter. Barbara was "the best", especially friendly, and really seemed to enjoy sharing her knowledge of the city with us. I'd return in a heartbeat! And PS - breakfast buffet was delicious.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Nancy O
HtlDeLaVille, Direttore at Hotel de La Ville, responded to this review, May 25, 2014
Dear Mrs. Nancy,

paraphrasing the title of your comment … “an excellent review”. Thanks a lot.

It makes us happy to read that you have appreciated the Suite Da Vinci, the ideal accommodation for families at the Hotel De La Ville.
We are proud of your comments on the reception team and I am sure that Barbara will be greatly happy for the nice words especially dedicated to her.

We eagerly look forward to your return and in case don't hesitate to contact us direcltly in order to offer you the special treatment we normally reserve to our loyal guests.

Best regards from Florence

Hotel Manager
Cleveland, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2014

Hotel rooms should all look like this hotel.
My only regret was that we were only there one night to catch an AM flight after a ski week.
The room has a wood floor, lovely wood paneling and slippers too!
A few streets away to the Duomo but a very classy hotel. The restful night was welcome after a week of skiing. This is an ideal hotel in Florence. Classy and reasonable.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
HtlDeLaVille, Front Office Manager at Hotel de La Ville, responded to this review, May 27, 2014
Dear Guest,

We want to thank you for sharing your experience at the Hotel De La Ville with us and with the Tripadvisor community. All information and details that you have given are the best word of mouth which will help, for sure, many others travelers to choice the “ideal hotel in Florence”.

Looking forward to welcoming you back soon at Hotel De La Ville,

Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2014

I would absolutely definitely recommend:

We took two single rooms in May and there is a lot in favour of this hotel, to which we'd be delighted to return.

The location is outstanding - really convenient for the main attractions of the city and on a very elegant and sophisticated street.

The rooms were quite small - however really: we weren't there for the size of the rooms, and they were beautifully appointed.

I've read other reviews criticising the old fashioned metal key, but it was actually really nice to hand in your key and later having it handed back and not to have to worry about mislaying your card in the meantime etc.

Breakfast was an excellent buffet and an odd an excellent thing was that the plates seemed to be hot which was perfect. They had an amazing red orange juice.

The Wifi was outstanding and simple and straightforward to access.

Finally the staff were outstanding on the front desk. We had to make arrangements for a wheelchair and the staff were excellent with every aspect of this (there is a small extra charge as it is an external provider).
What was important was they all seemed genuinely warm. I think people have become too used to a generic "hotel chain product" and it was nice that there was old fashioned warmth here.

_________________________

It's tripadvisor where you are supposed to cover things for other travellers:
-I've mentioned those rooms are small, but really it was not an issue.
-Our rooms were onto an empty internal courtyard - I don't see this as a problem, but some might want a view.
-The cost was comparatively a little high - but I still think it was more than worthwhile for Florence and the location.
-A slight inconvenience of the the Key system is that it means that when you pull out the fob, the power in the room goes - e.g. an issue if you are leaving batteries to charge - but this is going to be a feature of every newer hotel where the power understandably cuts off in uninhabited rooms.
-They provide slippers but which are hidden in a drawer.
-Some aspects of the hotel are a little older, even dated - but the upkeep and the cleanliness were outstanding.
-The power to my minibar wasn't working.
-Finally the room safe is a little to small into which to fit a laptop.

(Travellers to Italy should be aware there are two different electrical plug standards in Italy and your correctly shaped plug may not fit into wall sockets even though they worked elsewhere. E.g. The plugs that worked in this hotel were those for the smaller type sockets that worked on Italian High Speed trains)

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Tombusa
HtlDeLaVille, Front Office Manager at Hotel de La Ville, responded to this review, May 28, 2014
Dear Guest,

first of all let me thank you for choosing the Hotel De La Ville for our stay in Florence and for spending such nice and heart-felt words to review your experience on Tripadvisor.

It has been really a pleasure to have you as our kind guests and thanks for recommending our hotel for its outstanding location and for all the other positive features well described in your review.

We have really appreciated your remarks about our breakfast service that you defined excellent (we are glad you liked so much our genuine orange juice) and about our front desk staff who was so kind and helpful during your stay. Actually all of us work for a genuine love of it and for the greatest satisfaction of our guests.

We will surely take your little advices to heart in order to improve even more where it’s necessary and do not hesitate to contact us directly in case of your return to Florence; it will be a great pleasure to reserve to you the special treatment for our loyal guests (also a room with an external view – as the most of our rooms – instead of the one on the internal courtyard).

Looking forward to welcoming you back soon at Hotel De La Ville,

santa fe
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2014

Perfect hotel in perfect location. Spacious room and bath that was well appointed. Staff was helpful (great restaurant recommendation around the corner for our first day, Trattoria al Trebbio). Amazing breakfast buffet of high quality products.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
HtlDeLaVille, Direttore at Hotel de La Ville, responded to this review, May 16, 2014
Dear Guest,

many thanks for your perferct comment and for choosing our hotel for your stay in Florence. Your review exactly got our strong point; a perfect location, spacious rooms, bathroom well appointed, helpful staff and an "...amazing breakfast buffet of high quality products".

Looking forward to welcoming you back as our special guest,

Best regards from Florence