“What a dump!” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #119 of 421 Hotels in Florence
California
“What a dump!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2012

This is the typical hotel that posts amazing pictures and when you get there, from looking at the building, you start praying....
The lobby is great, they do provide free wi-fi in "executive" rooms and the breakfast is very decent, front office staff are great, available umbrellas for rainy days.....
Now, once you get out of the elevator, to go to your room, you start to fear the inevitable... A nasty looking room. The carpet that used to be bright green is brown. How do I know that it was green? Well the carpet that decorates the wall seems to be of the sme color. We did not take our shoes off. The bathroom smelled old. No electric plugs to charge all the electronics that are now used in this modern times. My son woke up in the morning with bed bug bites (about 3), big bites.
The sad part is that they seem to be capable of having a great hotel but are not willing to put some money out. This is what you get when traveling in Europe with a family of 5; the hotel options are very limited, still, no excuse for such low standards. Never again!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank APT2004
General M, Manager at Starhotels Michelangelo, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
Dear Guest,

we would like to thank you for taking the time to leave your opinion about your stay in our hotel and we are really sorry to understand that your experience with us was not so good as you expected. Any suggestion or opinions related to our service is highly appreciated and taken into consideration in order to improve our quality of hospitality.

We like to inform you that most rooms of the Starhotels Michelangelo (around 70%) and common areas like lobby, bar, restaurant, etc. had been recently renovated, 2010/2011. The posted pictures in Trip Advisor, Expedia, Booking.com, etc, as you can see present the renovated rooms and old rooms too.
Executive rooms are big enough to accommodate with comfort familes, for a maximum occupancy of 4, but are located in the non-renovated areas (1st and second floor), even if they will be object of a complete refurbishment (new materials, parquet on the carpet, new bathroom) early 2013. Our hotel chain invests for refurbishment a large amount of money every year to update the product.
About the bed bug you wrote in your comment, we want you the be sure that we never had such a problem in our property as you can easily see from the many reviews present in Trip Advisor, Expedia, etc., and we completely checked all the rooms of the 1st and 2nd floor after we received your comment and fortunately we didn't find any bed bug.

We apologize once again for your unpleasant experience, we trust in the positive comments we receive by our guests, even on this website, hoping you might reconsider your opinion to our Hotel and let us welcoming you again in one of our Starhotels.

Best regards,

Gaetano Gatti - General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Baku, Azerbaijan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2012 via mobile

I stayed in this hotel for 2 nights and satisfied with my stay. It is in 1 min walk from tram station. Tram comes directly from train station and only 1 stop and you are here. Tram works every 5 minutes. It costs 1.2 eur per person.

To walk to the city centre is easy, but it will take from 20-30 minutes. Especially in hot days not quite pleasant walk because there is no any shadow area in your way along riverside. And even nowhere to sit

Hotel description says free internet (WiFi) in hotel lobby, actually this is not true, the device shows the availability of internet and that is all. It doesn't work at all. I asked staff and the only reply which i got is that pay 10 eur per day and internet in the room will be better. Actually nobody was in hall so they can't say that too mang devices were connected.

The other points were satisfiable. The breakfast was not bad, mortadella, cheese, jam, butter and honey, plus fruits and juices (tea and coffee is must). No eggs - and that is all

• Stayed August 2012
Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2012

This was an excellent choice. It was a four star hotel, clean, comfortable. The decor could be updated because I am not a fan of renaissance red but apparently some rooms do have updated service. I don't like that we only get 30 min free wifi a day only in the lobby. For a four star hotel we should get free wifi but I am a Canadian so a bit spoiled by internet access compared to Europeans.

The service was absolutely fantastic from the time I entered to even after I checked out. The front desk was always willing to help with directions and whatever else I asked. I left my bags there for an entire day after I checked out and the front desk still gave me five star service.

I loved the location. You do not want to stay in the core of florence with the immensely noisy crowd (unless you like that sort of thing). It is in a posh neighborhood and a nice 15 min walk from the core. It is a lovely walk if you walk along the Arno river. Some reviewers complained about the distance but honestly it is a great location and if you are a walker like me 15 min feels like 5 min. The fact that it isn't in the core means you don't pay as much.

Breakfast was included and if you eat anything then you are going to be well fed. The buffet had plenty of variety. I am vegan so I feasted on fruit, bread and salad. I didn't mind that at all.

Overall, excellent stay and I will return.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Rome, Italy
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2012

Excellent hotel at reasonable price (well booked by my italian company, but I believe it is just under the norm). Good location and walkable distance to most major sites in Florence. Good breakfast and very friendly staff. The olympics were on when I was there and they had set up a 'cinema' showing it with rows of seats in a conference room, which was great. Waiters at bar were very accommodating and a real asset to the hotel. One of them joined in our discussion regarding clothing and was showing us his hand made tie :) It made for an interesting discussion. Also their suggestions on wine were excellent!

I will be making this hotel my choice for future visits. We have a site in Florence and I am lucky enough to get to travel there often.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2012

Stayed here for two nights in July. Good location. On site secure parking at an extra charge. The lobby is very nice with free wifi. Service was good. Rooms were nice, clean and modern however slightly cramped. The hotel was fair for the price. I would stay again.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Amardip K
Yeovil, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2012

I would recommend this hotel for business people only given the good corporate rate I got. It's a bit of a trek from the city centre & central train station if you're rushed; the interior is clean & functional. I stayed for several nights & ate dinner one night only - limited choice & expensive. The rooms were OK but a bit dated. Big downside is there's nowhere to sit outside with a drink in the evening!
Staff were not very helpful when I had a travel query & generally seemed more concerned with their own discussions than the queue of waiting customers.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Solotrip
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2012

Good location, close to Train station. Hotel rooms were nice, clean and had very modern finishes. Friendly Hotel staff and breakfast was great! Would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple