“Foodie Fun with Sam”

Florence for Foodies
Ranked #5 of 148 Food & Drink in Florence
More attraction details
Owner description: Join Nat & Sam, two passionate and fully licensed guides on Foodilicious tours packed with Florentine food, traditions, facts & fun memories. We´ll show you Florence’s hidden gems and the best that Florence has to offer.We also offer truffle tours and afternoon wine crash course with Italy's best sommelier 2014.
Reviewed October 24, 2012

This was by far the highlight of our trip to Florence. Sam was so delightful and had the insider track to all things Florence. If you want a terrific look (and taste) at how the locals eat and drink and live, this tour is it!! Peg and Glenn

Reviewed October 23, 2012

My girlfriend and I were in Florence for a couple days in mid-October and luckily while surfing the web for things to do we stumbled upon Florence for Foodies. We signed up for the Nude and Food tour. Nat was our tour guide and we started off by seeing the David. (If you're questioning whether or not to go see it just do it! I know nothing about sculptures but it was truly amazing and by doing it with the tour we got to skip the lines!). Nat was very informative and made the whole experience fun and interesting.
Next was the food portion of the tour. Like other reviewers said, come hungry! We were taken to several locations and got to sample great food/drink at each one. All of the storeowners were knowledgeable, friendly, and eager to please. We sampled dried meats, cheeses, balsamic vinegars, coffee, pastry, gelato, wine, etc. and all of it was delicious and high quality!
We really had a great time on this tour. The groups are small and I can confidently say that everyone on our tour had a great time! It was well worth the money, but bring some extra to buy some goodies!

2  Thank availnyc308
Reviewed October 23, 2012

My wife and I recently visited Florence, it was an amazing trip, and part of what made Florence so amazing for us was this tour as given by Nat. My wife and I did the "Nude and Food" tour, it combined a visit with the most famous Nude in the world (David) along with a visit to some of the greatest purveyors of fine foods in the Florence.

So we started off with a visit to Accademia di Belle Arti Firenze where we were introduced to David, and to a degree Michaelangelo. I say introduced because Nat is very passionate about David, some might say a little TOO passionate about David, LOL! But she truly introduced us to the statue and the creator of the masterpiece. I left The Accademia with a whole new perspective and understanding of the Masterpiece David and The Genius Michaelangelo.

Then we met with a lovely family from Australia who joined us for the food portion of the tour and we were off on a tour of some of the best food and wine I've had the opportunity to enjoy and understand. Ok, well I thought Nat was passionate about David... seems she is equally passionate about the food from the region of Tuscany and more specifically Florence.

We started off at a pastry shoppe called Pasticceria Sieni, the place has been around since 1909 so they are doing something right! along with our taste of pastry and coffee, we got an in depth explanation on the traditions and culture of coffee drinking in Italy / Florence.

Nat walked us through Florence to da Nerbone inside the food market. Nat explained just about every facet of da Nerbone from each of the employees and their job behind the counter, to each of the types of foods they served to the guy who cleans up the tables when you leave. Her knowledge was unparalleled. The sandwich was delicious as well!

Next stop on the tour was a Salumi shoppe in the food market, Marco Salumi. Nat presented us with a tray of salami and cheese... OMG absolutely amazing!! Each morsel was more delectable than the next! If you're lucky you'll stand next to someone (as I did) who doesn't care to try each piece that Nat serves up and you might be able to snag an extra piece here and there! This place makes you want to leave all your clothes in Florence and fill your suitcase with Salami and Cheese!!!

Our final destination in the food market was Conti, when you arrive at Conti you can't help but be stunned by the visual stimulation of beautifully arranged fruits, vegetables, mushrooms (oh yeah lucky us, we visited while mushrooms were in season) and other goods placed in front of this market by the owner Stefano. Nat introduced us to Stefano and Yvonne and others running the show at Conti, then she introduced us to the products that Conti serves/sells. Simply amazing! I left with a whole new understanding of Balsamic Vinegar and a variety of other foods and products! I love this place and Nat for introducing us in such an intimate way to the foods and people at Conti! I couldn't help myself from buying several unique products including a bottle of Balsamic, pricey but a great value and unlike anything stateside! (no pushy sales people, I decided on my own to buy cause I wanted to make sure I brought some back home with me.)

Just when you think this festival of flavors is over, you walk with Nat to a wine bar called Zanobini. We were introduced to Mario "Super Mario" and a selection of fine wines that were nothing short of outstanding. The history behind this place and its place in the history of Florence is very interesting, Nat does a great job of breaking it down and making it fun... even getting some of the kids on our tour involved by having them play along with folklore of the place. Another place that I couldn't help myself from buying some of "Super Mario's" wine. The owner (one of the brothers) produces his own Chianti and prices it very reasonably, I had to bring a bottle back with me.

Finally we were brought to Perche No Gelato... we waited outside the place and chit chatted with the others on the tour while Nat went inside with the kids on our tour and brought out a selection of amazing Gelato. Then went back and got more when we were done with that... She came out with a combo she dubbed "The Killer" and "The Bomb" and another assortment as well. The Gelato was amazing, the conversation with the others on our tour was equally good and the explanation of the ingredients and process of making Gelato was eye opening (because the day before the tour my wife and I tried gelato at one of the places with shrek colored pistachio stacked 3 ft tall the day before, a NO NO based on the explanation Nat provided- which made sense). The Gelato that Nat sampled for us was amazing, fresh and delicious. Obviously you can't bring back Gelato in your suitcase, but we did stop by Perche No on our own a couple days later for "The Killer" and the "The Bomb" on our way to shop for some leather goods nearby.

I tried to capture the tour in my review as best I could, but I don't think I've fully been able to get across the personality of the tour. It might just sound like a group of people led by someone to a bunch of shoppes and given taste tests, if you think this, you'd be wrong. This tour is soo much more. Nat expertly in very clear English explains everything you are introduced to on the tour and she does it in a very entertaining manner all while trying to keep a bunch of Foodies attention long enough to explain what they are about to taste and the traditions behind it. Nat is constantly engaging the group to keep you interested and interacting with one another. It was very easy to make friends with others on the tour group and even make friends with the store owners that you visit. The tour is a very personal introduction to the tastes of Florence and the culinary traditions that have been carried out on some cases for centuries!

I very highly recommend this tour to you and your family if you are a Foodie, you will leave with a whole new understanding of David, Michaelangelo and the tastes of Florence!

3  Thank Enzo A
Reviewed October 19, 2012

We came to Italy to experience the food mainly and also the history, of course. This tour (Nude and Food) was great and exactly what we wanted! Nat was wonderful explaining the history of both the David and the local food. She was engaging and knowledgable. She was answered all of our questions and more.

Reviewed October 18, 2012

Went on the nude and food tour. Good way to see David and have a better understanding, rather than visit the museum yourself.
Of course the highlight was the food bit. It's a full on food tour, so make sure you don't eat beforehand.
It provides brief but sufficient information abt the food in Florence. We had a balsamic crash course and it was a fantastic experience being able to taste and distinguish the different taste of balsamic. Truffle is a huge feature in this tour. There is truffle in cheese, truffle in balsamic, truffle in salami, truffle in everything.
A list of places to eat was provided as well, hence my advice in taking the tour on the first day so you don't need to eat at touristy restaurants with mediocre food.
Sam was our guide and we were paired up with a Canadian couple. It felt like a group of friends going out on a eating expedition. It was so much fun, definitely well worth the money. Please check the tour out!! Would love every foodie to have the opportunity

1  Thank Foodgloriousfood88