“Excellent food in a relaxed atmosphere”

La Cucina del Garga
Ranked #179 of 2,841 Restaurants in Florence
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: San Lorenzo
Description: "La Cucina del Garga" arrived on the Florence restaurant scene when Chef Alessandro Gargani returned from an 8 year run as Executive Chef in New York City's famous "Mezzogiorno Restaurant" in SOHO. It is there that he practiced his craft, honed his recipes and started his family. From an early age, his parents Sharon Oddson and Giuliano Gargani AKA "Il Garga" had instilled in him their passion for food and art. In 2010, he returned to his hometown to continue the family tradition born at The Trattoria in Via del Moro and then brought here to Via San Zanobi. The restaurant is an art gallery as well as showcase where talented local artists have the opportunity to show their work and customers can purchase paintings or sculptures to enrich their own private collections.
Reviewed August 21, 2013

This must be one of the friendliest, most relaxed and most inviting restaurants in Florence. The food is rich and tasty; the portions are generous; and the wine is very reasonably priced. The decor, at once quite sumptuous but pleasantly casual, adds to the relaxed atmosphere. An additional bonus is that the waiters seem to be genuinely enthusiastic as well as informed about the food the restaurant has to offer; and they are more than happy to offer advice if you feel - as you well might - spoiled for choice. Highly recommended.

1  Thank QuentinYoknapatawpha
Write a ReviewReviews (1,033)

Reviewed August 20, 2013 via mobile

This restaurant is absolutely unique and special. The perfect place for a good time, while still maintaining a fancier feel. Food was spectacular. Treating us to a free antipasto, free bread and free prosecco immediately made us feel like regulars. The original art and troubadour were the cherry on top.

Reviewed August 18, 2013

This was the best meal we had in Europe and would gladly have come back a second night but they were closed for the week. I highly recommend. Service was friendly, they had a canadian wait on on with perfect English. This was SO much more enjoyable than going to the three michelin star rated restaurant we considered.

The ravioli with meat sauce was phenomenal. I do not know how to recreate their sauce but I suspect it is a custom blend of fresh coarsely ground meat, the sauce is rich and full of Umami. I suspect a mirapoix base AND a roasted beef bone stalk.

1  Thank bekhardt
Reviewed August 16, 2013

Just returned from a 3 week trip to Italy, and Garga stands out among many great dining experiences. I arranged a reservation for 16 by website before leaving the states, and then called to confirm the day of. Everything was perfect. They were patient with our large party who were mostly unfamiliar with Italian menus. The service was outstanding. The food even better, if that is possible. Wine recommendations were excellent. The appetizer sampler that was suggested was a meal in itself. The calamari and shrimp were out of this world. Unfortunately, most of us were pretty full by the time the first course was served. I think I was the only one who ordered a second course, and there was no way I could have finished it (it was the beef tenderloin!). By the time it came out I was over-stuffed and decided to bring it back to our villa for my husband who was unable to join us for dinner due to a business matter. Well, we ended up eating the left-over tenderloin the next day and it was amazing!!

I highly recommend Garga. I am looking forward to my next trip to Florence and a repeat performance.

1  Thank cellapink
Reviewed August 14, 2013

From the moment we walked in to the moment we left our experience was above our expectations, the service was excellent, the atmosphere warm and friendly, the art from local artists on the walls was a nice touch. Our food was very good, potions were plentiful and we left completely satisfied as it was our best dining experience in Florence.

Review collected in partnership with this restaurant
1  Thank Fundo65