“Recommended by our guide”

La Cucina del Garga
Ranked #249 of 2,927 Restaurants in Florence
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: San Lorenzo
Description: "La Cucina del Garga" arrived on the Florence restaurant scene when Chef Alessandro Gargani returned from an 8 year run as Executive Chef in New York City's famous "Mezzogiorno Restaurant" in SOHO. It is there that he practiced his craft, honed his recipes and started his family. From an early age, his parents Sharon Oddson and Giuliano Gargani AKA "Il Garga" had instilled in him their passion for food and art. In 2010, he returned to his hometown to continue the family tradition born at The Trattoria in Via del Moro and then brought here to Via San Zanobi. The restaurant is an art gallery as well as showcase where talented local artists have the opportunity to show their work and customers can purchase paintings or sculptures to enrich their own private collections.
Reviewed July 27, 2013

We asked our guide for a good restaurant. It's situated in a calm street at the end of the centre of Florence. But is was the walk more than worth. Very nice reception and a glass of Prosecco on the house with some hors d'oeuvres (also on the house). The Italian food was delicious and we took a nice bottle of wine. Even the cook waived goodbye when we left. If you want to have diner in a calm (away from tourists) and Italian ambient environnement. Then this is the place! PS: Young art artist display their art.

1  Thank 73TomR07
Write a ReviewReviews (1,053)

Reviewed July 25, 2013

We read about this restaurant on Tripadvisor and liked the sound of the authentic cooking with a twist plus it was down the road from where we were staying. It was the most delicious surprise. The decor is brilliant, busy and full of random bit of art and lots of candles and the staff were very friendly and knowledgeable. We got a complimentary glass of Prosecco on arrival and some delicious bread. The food was utterly delicious and refreshing after days of very traditional Tuscan, heavy food. I had spaghetti with prawns, squid, lemon zest and a tomato sauce which sounds a bit strange but it was so fresh and yummy and then we treated ourselves to one of the best lemon tarts of our lives. Oooooh, plus the wine list is great. Basically it was an epic meal at a great price so if you only have one night in Florence GO HERE.

2  Thank Mrsturfy
Reviewed July 25, 2013

My family and I had a delicious meal here. The servers were friendly. The food was amazing, and my entire family had a great time. I had the grilled calamari salad, which was wonderful, followed by the "Bistecca Fiorentina" which was even better (but you have to like rare steak). My daughter loved her pasta diablo and my wife had spicy pasta with olive oil, sun dried tomatoes and clams and loved that too. We were so full we almost skipped dessert, but the waiter told us to try the chocolate cake. It was amazing.

1  Thank Mike C
Reviewed July 23, 2013 via mobile

Amazing restaurant that is the exemplar of gluten free cooking. Wife had the "magnifico" pasta which is like a carbonara but so so so much more - I had a bite and it was unbelievably good. The imperator pasta was also fantastic and well worth it. On Day 1 of Florence trip and I will likely come back! Don't miss it gluten free or not

Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

We had to convince our hotel concierge to book this restaurant for us because we had two separate people tell us it was a Florence must do. He told us that it was not the original "Garga" as this is run by the son of the restauranteur who had made the prior restaurant such a success but who passed away last year. We should have listened since this was our worst meal in all of Italy. The food tasted very Olive Garden-ish and the "mommas" spaghetti sauce tasted like Prego. The service was also terrible as it appeared that one waitress had responsibility for the whole place. We had a nice bottle of wine but that is so easy to find in Italy that it isn't worth mentioning. Skip this place and you won't miss a thing.

adriello2002, Proprietario at La Cucina del Garga, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2013

Dear KHernan
I am so sorry for your bad experience and trust me when I say I would love some how to make it up to you. One thing I do have to say: I am quite distraught, though not surprised that the concierge from the Hotel Number Nine in Firenze, where you stayed, should tell you who or which is the “original Garga”. To give him the benefit of the doubt I hope he is unaware of the issues and the legal problems with the proprietors in the restaurant in our previous location in Via del Moro, which my late father and mother opened back in 1979. The new name of what was our old location is “Trattoria Gargani”. (By the way Gargani is my own last name as well.) I know for certain that many hotel staff  in Florence  try to convince their customers like you that  the new owners  are the “original Garga, I really do not want to know what advantages they have by doing this but they should be more careful of the facts for both our old and new customers.
Please feel free to contact me to discuss any other issues you encountered in my restaurant in order for me to be able to correct them immediately.

PS. Sorry to say I am not familiar with Chain Restaurants like Olive Garden. What is “Prego Sauce”?
Alessandro Gargani