“Magnificent”

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: San Lorenzo
Description: "La Cucina del Garga" arrived on the Florence restaurant scene when Chef Alessandro Gargani returned from an 8 year run as Executive Chef in New York City's famous "Mezzogiorno Restaurant" in SOHO. It is there that he practiced his craft, honed his recipes and started his family. From an early age, his parents Sharon Oddson and Giuliano Gargani AKA "Il Garga" had instilled in him their passion for food and art. In 2010, he returned to his hometown to continue the family tradition born at The Trattoria in Via del Moro and then brought here to Via San Zanobi. The restaurant is an art gallery as well as showcase where talented local artists have the opportunity to show their work and customers can purchase paintings or sculptures to enrich their own private collections.
London, United Kingdom
“Magnificent”
Reviewed July 23, 2013 via mobile

Amazing restaurant that is the exemplar of gluten free cooking. Wife had the "magnifico" pasta which is like a carbonara but so so so much more - I had a bite and it was unbelievably good. The imperator pasta was also fantastic and well worth it. On Day 1 of Florence trip and I will likely come back! Don't miss it gluten free or not

• Chinese (Traditional) first
“Skip it”
Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

We had to convince our hotel concierge to book this restaurant for us because we had two separate people tell us it was a Florence must do. He told us that it was not the original "Garga" as this is run by the son of the restauranteur who had made the prior restaurant such a success but who passed away last year. We should have listened since this was our worst meal in all of Italy. The food tasted very Olive Garden-ish and the "mommas" spaghetti sauce tasted like Prego. The service was also terrible as it appeared that one waitress had responsibility for the whole place. We had a nice bottle of wine but that is so easy to find in Italy that it isn't worth mentioning. Skip this place and you won't miss a thing.

• Visited July 2013
adriello2002, Proprietario at La Cucina del Garga, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
Dear KHernan
I am so sorry for your bad experience and trust me when I say I would love some how to make it up to you. One thing I do have to say: I am quite distraught, though not surprised that the concierge from the Hotel Number Nine in Firenze, where you stayed, should tell you who or which is the “original Garga”. To give him the benefit of the doubt I hope he is unaware of the issues and the legal problems with the proprietors in the restaurant in our previous location in Via del Moro, which my late father and mother opened back in 1979. The new name of what was our old location is “Trattoria Gargani”. (By the way Gargani is my own last name as well.) I know for certain that many hotel staff  in Florence  try to convince their customers like you that  the new owners  are the “original Garga, I really do not want to know what advantages they have by doing this but they should be more careful of the facts for both our old and new customers.
Please feel free to contact me to discuss any other issues you encountered in my restaurant in order for me to be able to correct them immediately.

PS. Sorry to say I am not familiar with Chain Restaurants like Olive Garden. What is “Prego Sauce”?
Alessandro Gargani
Chef-Owner
Toronto
“Perfecto.”
Reviewed July 17, 2013

From start to finish this dinner was amazing. The menu is not only fairly priced, it is creative. Five of us dined like kings and not one dish was mediocre. The chef is amazing, and the space is beautiful, but fun, not stuffy. A great wine list, too. We had a spectacular time!

2 Thank MaraFromToronto
South Africa
“Best Italian food ever”
Reviewed July 17, 2013 via mobile

We stopped in as we were staying nearby and we can quite honestly say it was the best Italian food we have ever had in our lives! We were welcomed with prosecco then greetings by the The chef who recommends what to eat after you share with him what you feel like. The food had the most incredible flavour, was what you would imagine to eat in Italy, paired with an amazing recommendation of wine! Not only was the food unbelievable but the design and art in the restaurant was perfect in complimenting the food ..
Super fantastic amazing unbelievable and highly recommended to everyone.

1 Thank Tobey2
“Wonderful Dining Experience”
Reviewed July 16, 2013 via mobile

Had this restaurant recommended to us by a friend. We had a 9 pm reservation and were seated immediately upon our arrival. The staff was very helpful. Our party of 4 (my wife, 22 year old daughter, her friend and me) were given two glasses of champagne (I don't drink but the rest of the party imbibed) and an appetizer. My wife and I ordered the special appetizer, special pasta and special secondi. The appetizer was a warm cheese on spider lettuce and prosciutto. It was very tasty. The pasta was a ravioli stuffed with spinach and ricotta with a meat sauce. The pasta was very fresh and the meat sauce was tasty. The secondi was veal sweet breads. It practically melted in your mouth. My wife ordered a local Pinot Nero. She reported that it was a light Pinot and was well rounded. For dessert we ordered the lemon tart and cheese cake. Both were outstanding. As we were finishing the Chef Allesandro Garga sat down with us for quite a while and discussed the wall painting, art. and marketing (my wife is a graphic artist) and presentation. It was a wonderful dining experience.

Visited July 2013