“Pleasant experience” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of La Cucina del Garga

La Cucina del Garga
Ranked #109 of 2,660 Restaurants in Florence
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: San Lorenzo
Description: "La Cucina del Garga" arrived on the Florence restaurant scene when Chef Alessandro Gargani returned from an 8 year run as Executive Chef in New York City's famous "Mezzogiorno Restaurant" in SOHO. It is there that he practiced his craft, honed his recipes and started his family. From an early age, his parents Sharon Oddson and Giuliano Gargani AKA "Il Garga" had instilled in him their passion for food and art. In 2010, he returned to his hometown to continue the family tradition born at The Trattoria in Via del Moro and then brought here to Via San Zanobi. The restaurant is an art gallery as well as showcase where talented local artists have the opportunity to show their work and customers can purchase paintings or sculptures to enrich their own private collections.
Wokingham, Berkshire
“Pleasant experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2013 via mobile

We booked in an a hour or two in advance on a Saturday evening and after a small amount of difficulty we found the restaurant in this residential area. The food quality was above average but I wouldn't go as far as saying it is the best you can find in Florence. The staff were all friendly and service good. The experience was enhanced by a free glass of prossecco and focaccia taster. Would I go back, yes.

Visited June 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Richmond, Vermont
“Fantastico!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2013

We were told about this restaurant by our guide at the Tuscan Wine School, and was she right! We were there at the end of April, and just walked in off the street. We were told they were very busy and it would be a long wait, if at all for that night. I said that it was our last night in Florence and that the Tuscan Wine School sent us (the chef knew her name), and they promised to find us a table in about an hour. We left for a while, and asked to just sit down in the bar/waiting area, and while we were perusing art books, Prosecco arrived to ease the aches of a day on our feet. We were seated about when we were told, and bruschetta arrive, again, compliments of the house. We are new to the whole Italian meal ordering, and split an artichoke salad, my wife had the pasta in brandy, orange, and lemon cream sauce, while I had the small Florentine steak. For dessert, we had the cheesecake and cantucci. Our wait staff was excellent, and when I ordered the house Chianti, our waiter suggested another red (he said he'd buy the glass if I didn't like it!) that was terrific... I had three glasses! This was one of the best meals my wife and I have ever had, and all for under 100 euros, with extra tips. The décor is by current artists, and the more we looked around, the more we found to see. And we got to watch the chef prepare our meals, ringing the bicycle bell when our plates were ready! The staff was very accommodating, the food fabulous, and we're going back there the next time we go to Florence!

• Visited April 2013
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“hands-down the best restaurant we ate at in Florence”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2013

Every single plate was better than the one before. This is not a tourist trap – in fact it’s located a short walk away from the center, which gave us a nice glimpse of Florence beyond the attractions.
We asked for wine recommendations and were pleased that our very knowledgeable waitress wasn’t trying to push the more expensive options on us. She was gracious and spot-on (and spoke English). Impeccable service, incredible food and wine, funky atmosphere – this was absolutely a welcome departure from the options surrounding the museums and duomos.

Visited May 2013
South Carolina
“I really wanted to like as much as first time”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2013

I really wanted to like this restaurant as much as I did last year, but a couple of things happened that did not enhance the experience. First, our chicken was way to salty. I can stand normal salting for seasoning, but for me it had too much salt. My sister in law felt the same way. It was good, just overly sated. The second incident was it took much longer than expected to get my chicken entree and my husband's fish entree. This is not my first time in Italy and I do allow for cultural differences, but it really did take longer than expected to get our food. However, my husband very much enjoyed his fish dinner.....when it finally got to our table.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank gvldiva
HK
“All round restaurant in florence!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

Hotel conceige's recommendation, a hidden gem in florence indeed. Impressed by the deco once we stepped in, good taste of the owner. We tried bistecca in 3 different restaurants in the city and this one is the top notch, plus service is excellent which is rare here honestly speaking. Their wine list is also quite extensive. if there is only one restaurant to go in florence, this is the one.

• Visited May 2013