“Awful awful awful!!!”

Ranked #125 of 411 Hotels in Florence
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Awful awful awful!!!”
Reviewed April 2, 2013

I am really wondering how ths hotel got any of the positive reviews i read when i booked this waste of money hotel! At 120 euro a night i expect a decent 4 star hotel but everything about this hotel was horrible.
Our train arrived around 11:30 and we went straight to the hotel-i didn't expect an early check in but was surprised when the staff at reception first said that it was not possible to keep our luggage while we went about the city. I was too shocked to even respond. After some silence he said he would work something out.
We came back much later and checked in and were taken to our room-smaller than i am used to (this was my 6th trip to Italy so i do have some comparison credit) but that was ok. There was a walk in shower-no cubicle so the water just goes onto the floor. Normally it is designed in a way that the water flows away quickly. I had a well needed shower after travelling and touring and when i was done there was water everywhere! it was impossible to even use the toilet without flippers for about 10 minutes-ridiculous! My husband had already showered and it was late so i didn't just said i would report it the next morning. The next morning after a 2 minute shower (out of fear of another flood) i reported it and asked for a change of room/repair. Changing the room was not possible but fixing it was. We were out the whole day and unfortunately in the evening i realized again that nothing had been done. We were only booked for 2 nights otherwise i would have checked out there and then!
I am also used to being able to ask for travel advice from the staff. I spoke to 3 different staff members about bookings to see Michaelangelo's David-all 3 were clueless about opening times, reservation procedures-in the end we just woke up really early and stood in queue and waited for it to open. When we got back to the hotel and mentioned that we had already been they didn't even mention having to cancel a reservation-they obviously hadn't even done it.
The cleaning staff was awful! There was no tea in the room so i thought i would try the hot chocolate powder-not fit for human consumption so i left it on the dresser-the next day, after the room had been serviced the cup of hot chocolate was still there and we ad no clean cups. Showergels were not replaced when it was obvious we were using them.
Breakfast was below standard-all the hot foods were cold and food was not being replenished on time.
On check out i mentioned again the shower issue and which point i was told it was probably not attented to because of the holiday (we travelled at easter)-and the fact that we were spending out holiday and money here clearly didn't matter.
I could go on-normally my reviews are much shorter and to the point but this hotel almost ruined my trip to Italy!
ps i tried to rate the hotel 0 but trip-advisor wouldn't let it so i changed it to 1!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Vrtw
artatelier, Responsabile reception at Hotel Art Atelier, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Sometime is very difficult to replay to this kind of review.
I can only say that we have 135 reviews at this moment, and no one talk about us in this way.
My dream is that all our guest are supersatisfy every day in our Hotel, and all my collegues work hard for reach this point.
But I know from my experience that is impossible to satisfy all the people.
I really hope that your next stay, in other hotel aroun the world will be fantastic for you.
Best regards.

Giampaolo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Los Anglees
Reviewed March 29, 2013

Booked this hotel for a two night Florence stay based on other reviews and wasn't disappointed. Conveniently located 3 short blocks from the main rail station. Was easy to find.

Assisted in booking restaraunt reservations before my arrival and handled my late night arrival with ease. Front desk staff polite but all business.

Room was small but bathroom was huge, even by American standards and with all of the ammenities you would expect. Everything clean and well maintained.

One word of caution for those sensitive to perfumes and stong odors you may not be happy with these rooms. They have sented oil bottles and I had to air out the room and leave it in the bathroom. Good closets, wifi, and a gift of chocolates. Included breakfast was nice with a good selection of foods.

Very convenient to all of the main Florence attractions. Stored my bags for 12 hours before I caught my train to Rome. All in all one of my niceest european stays ever. At $100 for a double room for single, was a good value.

Room Tip: I had street side room that was still quite. There is a small terrace on the upper floor.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Duckdoger
Oneonta, NY
Reviewed March 27, 2013

We stayed here in the beginning of March. Being our first trip to Florence, this was in a great location with a lot of things to do right around the hotel as well as close to most attractions. The room we stayed in was very spacious, clean and updated. Breakfast was rather small and lacking variety. Overall, it was a great place to stay and by far the most comfortable room we stayed in during our trip in Italy.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Aviano, Italy
Reviewed March 24, 2013

The room was a good size as European hotel rooms go. The bathroom was really nice with plenty of room. European breakfast included was also very good. The staff was very friendly. The location was outstanding! Not far from the train station and right round the corner from the Medici Chapel. A must see in Florence!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed March 8, 2013

Locatiion, not more than 10 minutes walk from the train station Santa Maria Novella. Most attractions nearby... il Duomo, galeria Uffzi, Plaza della Signoria, Museum of Accademia, and Ponte Vecchio are within walking distance, between 10 and 20 minutes walk the farthest one.
Nice rooms, with very good bathrooms, good amenities, coffee machine and chocolates, and breakfast just fine. if you dont expect luxury, this is a nice, simple, small boutique hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed February 24, 2013

I truly recommend this hotel. It couldn't have a better location. The train stations is at walking distance (5 minutes) and it is very close to the tourist attractions. The staff is very friendly and the cleaning of the place is excellent. The room was very comfortable and with nice decorations.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Nice, France
Reviewed February 2, 2013

Perfect location less than 5 minutes walking distance from the railway station and the Duomo. Friendly and helpful staff. Great WIFI connexion.
Expensive for an hotel of that range (more a 3 star hotel than a 4 star). Breakfast could be improved. Gloomy in-room atmosphere (should you be on the street side or the interior courtyard).

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple