“Florence City Centr is as good as Europe gets”
Review of Centro Storico

Centro Storico
Book In Advance
More Info
$63.00*
and up
Skip the Line: Small-Group Florence Renaissance...
Ranked #11 of 609 things to do in Florence
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: That part of Florence situated between Piazza San Marco, Piazza Santa Maria Novella, Santa Croce, and Santo Spirito, filled with up-scale and expensive shops.
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Every city in Italy has a Centro Storico and if you have visited you will know why it called the center. Generally all the main attractions are concentrated around the town center. The Florence town center is no different. Every great monument, museums, shopping, food, Fun is all concentrated around the town center.

Its best to stay in the Centro Storico when in Florence so you can cover everything by foot.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,886)
All reviews
in 37 reviews
"renaissance"
in 43 reviews

Reviewed July 22, 2013

Florence is a place I would return to many times if I ever got the opportunity! The people are so kind. We were concerned there would be a language barrier, but most spoke enough English to be understood. There are so many museums, shops and restaurants. We enjoyed trying new foods and seeing all the wonderful art that Florence has to offer.

Reviewed July 20, 2013

Of course a city like Firenze has a wonderful old city centre with nice boutiques where you'll find gloves,potteries ,shoes ,bags,clothes and many other beautiful things to bring home after having seen beautifully decorated buildings and all of them well renovated during the years.

Reviewed July 17, 2013

All the reviews on Tripadvisor are right, Florence's historical centre, or "centro storico" in Italian, really is an open air museum. Everywhere you look you are surrounded by art, historical monuments, magnificent architecture and Italian charm. We travelled as a family (with two teens), and we knew we'd have to keep it light, without cramming too many museums and churches into our schedule. Luckily, Florence is beautiful even if you skip some of the monuments, and just spend your time touring the streets, walking into little shops, stopping for a gelato and resting in a hidden piazza. You can't go wrong, it's as if beauty awaits in every corner. I do have to say that I don't think our tour of Florence would have been the same without the travel guide we used (called Florence & Tuscany with Kids). It was the single best resource I came across for touring Florence (especially for families). Our favorite parts of the centro storico were: visiting the Duomo, and walking around it (it's huge!) to appreciate the architecture, resting in Piazza della Signoria (next to Palazzo Vecchio), discovering the little shops (perfect for souvenirs) along the alleys connecting the Santa Croce church and Piazza della Signoria, visiting the Uffizi, David, and walking at sunset along the river, getting away from the crowds, looking for an interesting-looking local restaurant to try out for dinner.

1  Thank Amanda B
See more reviews
Reviewed July 9, 2013

In a previous episode in this Florence section of TA, I wrote of my wonderful experiences over many years surrounding Umberto Balatresi's Gift Shop and its charismatic proprietor now retired. For many years, Umberto had his wonderfully elegant and exclusive artistic gift shop just off the Ponte Vecchio in a most historic setting so very classically Florentine. For those so inclined, that first part of this adventure can be seen in an offering here on May 22, 2013 under Florence in the subsection Ponte Vecchio and the title Umberto Baletresi's Gift Shop.

Now, after posting those events, it seems some Travel Advisor readers passed on word of my little memoirs story to his daughter and Umberto himself who I'd unsuccessfully tried to find for many years following my last visit and since first meeting him more than forty five years ago. My telling of those events was enveloped in a secret agenda: a last desperate effort to discover if all potential contact with a personal friend and older hero was out of time unless he was yet in place somewhere in the region and through Trip Advisor, someone stitched a renewed link.

This very morning, again through TA email, a woman named Rebecca wrote me an email, informing me how happy her father was to have me so proudly recall our adventures together and how each of them would be happy if I cared to respond in kind, which I of course did.

Historic Centro Storico is a very special place to me and though the shop is no longer there, I will hopefully revisit its precise location within two to three years to cap all my associated memories. In four visits over six decades with this paisano of the heart, first as a boy turning first year teacher who found something of an older brother, then as a married man, later with my own two sons, and next for a penultimate summation, in my own senior years,

I will then smile a special smile that only comes to those smitten with the adventure of travel and able to revisit a Kismet in wondrous places such as Firenze's (aka Florence) Ponte Veccio e Centro Storico.