“What an experience!”

Giglio Cooking Day Course
More attraction details
Owner description: Gigliocooking offers cooking courses of different lasting times. If you want to cook at both professional and amateur level, come to have an unique experience of culture and fun.
Reviewed October 12, 2013

This was the highlight of my trip to Europe, not just Tuscany!

The two of us, celebrating our anniversary, assisted Chef Marcella in making Spaghetti Aglio Olio (dry pasta), Pappardelle with Wild Boar Ragu (fresh pasta), Pollo alla Diavola, and Mantovana di Prato (dessert), and we were able to include "extras" including a wine caramel sauce to top the dessert and a simple tomato, basil and olive oil salad. It was tough to choose the menu from her 28-page list! It ended up being my favorite meal on our trip, even though I'm not sure if it was because we helped, we learned the recipes and techniques (I learned how to better work a chef's knife!), or because it was just that great!

The three hours of cooking was tiring; the lesson was fast-paced (lots to cover) and the two of us are not well-practiced on juggling so many dishes in various stages of preparation, but it was so worth it. Luckily, the kitchen has a layout conducive to learning and there were no distractions. Marcella was matter-of-fact in her approach, but was also very patient with us both. She was a delight!

Since returning home we've each tried making the Spaghetti Aglio Olio once. We're still trying to perfect it... :-)

For our next visit to Florence, we hope to sign up for another class to learn new recipes.

1  Thank Kris_K_D

Reviewed October 11, 2013

We took a private class with Marcella, owner and chef extraordinaire, on our recent honeymoon. It was one of our favorite parts of the trip! My husband doesn't cook ... it's not that he dislikes it, just that he doesn't have the chance since I love it and do so every day :) So even though we were going into the class with opposite levels of skill, we both enjoyed it equally!

Marcella is a wonderful teacher who obviously loves what she is doing. She was warm and made us feel like family. We made four dishes together, chosen by us from a long list of options provided by Marcella prior to the class. Each was more delicious than the next! My favorite was learning how to make homemade pasta ... not as intimidating as I thought, and I look forward to making it here at home! At the end of the class, the three of us sat down to eat what we made with some delicious wine - the perfect ending to a very special experience!

Reviewed September 4, 2013

We picked Giglio after doing a lot of looking at reviews on trip advisor and getting recommendations from our hotel. What a great choice! We are a family of 4, including my wife, 2 daughters (age 10 and 13) and me - middle-aged husband who hates to cook, but wants to humor his wife and daughters (especially his daughters - but don't tell his wife). We all had a terrific time and learned a great deal. Marcella was friendly, helpful, encouraging and remarkably able to tailor the class to each of our very different abilities. The class was very interactive, and we did all the cooking under Marcella's watchful eye. Even though we arrived late, we still managed to do 4 dishes - pasta with lemon sauce, gnocci, lamb and tiramisu - and enjoy our meal afterwards. The food was delicious. The class was fun. Marcella is stupendous. It was a highlight of our stay in Florence and a nice change from many of the other art-filled activities.

2  Thank Sawwah87
Reviewed August 13, 2013

I am about a month late on writing my review, so apologies to Marcela. My wife and I were traveling through Italy this summer, and had 2 days to spend in Florence over the 4th of July. Like most Americans on this holiday, we wanted to cook a great meal and share it with great company. So we did the 3 hour cooking course, where Marcella taught us to make one meal (3 courses). I would recommend this to anyone, even in lieu of a traditional American 4th of July BBQ! Marcella is interesting, genuinely sincere, and kind. Not tomention, she is an excellent chef and teacher! We had so much fun spending the evening with her! Not only did we eat one of our best meals in Italy, but we had an experience we will remember for the rest of our lives. Thanks Marcella!

2  Thank thove25
Reviewed July 24, 2013

I am so grateful that I booked this cooking class during my stay in Firenze, it was one of the highlights of my trip. I am just a home cook but I enjoy cooking very much so I signed up for the week long Tuscan Cuisine course. Marcella was absolutely amazing and such a great teacher. I can not believe how much we cooked and how much I learned from her. I loved her classes so much that I joined two more of her classes before I left. I have been cooking so many dishes from her classes now that I am home and just love showing off the skills and recipes that Marcella taught me. I wish I would have signed up for the month long course but I guess that just means I will have to make another trip and do it again. I highly suggest Giglio Cooking! Grazie Marcella!!