“amazing view and a beautiful church”

Basilica San Miniato al Monte
Book In Advance
More Info
$18.89*
and up
Florence Independent Tour with Audiopen and...
Ranked #23 of 656 things to do in Florence
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Situated on a hill (monte) outside Florence with unsurpassed views of the city, this structure is one of the finest examples of Tuscan Romanesque architecture, built between the 11th and 13th centuries.
Reviewed February 17, 2014

Walked up to San Miniato al Monte after taking the bus to Piazzale San Michele. It is truly a beautiful church with amazing medieval murals.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,829)
All reviews
in 26 reviews
"piazzale"
in 80 reviews

Reviewed February 16, 2014

Take a bus up the hill (you can always walk the way down to enjoy the view). The climb is not for everyone.
If you want to experience something a bit different in Florence, go to San Miniato al Monte. This Benedictine church is a great example of Florentine Romanesque architecture that is hard to find in a city otherwise dominated by Renaissance additions. Full Romanesque architecture, the smell of myrrh and frankincense, a Jesus Pantocrator in the apsis, this little gem has a more "medieval" atmosphere than the other (beautiful) churches of this city. The cemetery (surrounding the compound) is probably the most beautiful I've ever seen, thanks to the best view ever: dominating the summit overlooking the old city center. The little apothecary/shop run by the monks is also worth a visit - and their homemade chocolate cakes are famous.

2  Thank LeonJE32
Reviewed February 14, 2014

The basilica stands in the heart of the town. The architecture is majestic, that is least to say. Interiors are well done and well preserved. It is worth about half an hour and admire the way the Basilica has been preserved over the centuries.

1  Thank Arvind S
Reviewed February 12, 2014

Attended the Sunday evening service with Gregorian chants. Gorgeous, awe-inspiring. Something I won't soon forget

See more reviews
Reviewed February 6, 2014

We went up to San Miniato on our first full day in Florence (it's both my husband and I's first trip to Europe).
I decided I wanted to visit San Miniato after seeing it as the #1 attraction in Florence. We followed a little walk that was mapped out in our guide, and I don't know if it was the fatigue or the shear beauty of the place, but it did bring tears to my eyes.
The view of the city is absolutely stunning, but the interior of the church is like nothing I've ever seen before. It was a cloudy day, so it was quite dark in the church, but the sound of music coming from inside was quite inviting. We took our time to really get the full experience out of it.
Everything about it, the grounds, the view, the cemetery, and of course, the church breaths serenity.
I would definitely recommend it and do it again, it gave us a whole new perspective of the city.
A definite must.