“Excellent location”
Review of Hotel Savoy

Hotel Savoy
Ranked #26 of 409 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed March 12, 2006

We stayed for a weekend break at the Savoy in Florence and found it to be perfectly located, just metres away from the Duomo and tower.

Staff were welcoming and efficient, and the food was good (though a little on the expensive side, compared with other restaurants in the vicinity).

The decor was very stylish and modern. Our room was of a decent size, comfortable, clean and well-equipped. We had a little balcony overlooking the piazza.

Overall, we liked the hotel. We would not stay anywhere else in Florence, if we were to return, and we would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone else.

• Stayed: September 2005
6  Thank Jamesh764

Reviewed January 4, 2006

This hotel is gorgeous, immaculate and in a fabulous location. I loved the minimalist style- a real respite. The hotel has a wonderful ambience and it was comfortable and relaxing to stay here once our "issues" were resolved. First of all, we had an error in our reservation ( not the fault of the hotel) but the front desk graciously corrected it and upgraded us to the triple we needed without an additonal charge. Then, one of our two rooms was located next to a hidden service elevator and we couldn't sleep the first night but they willingly moved us the next day to a quiet room overlooking the Duomo. The breakfast was ridiculously expensive and was not included in our rate so we didn't eat there. The staff was friendly and helpful- made us feel comfortable- free internet in the business center- I would definitely recommend this hotel and would want to stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2005
10  Thank NancyFH
Reviewed November 10, 2005

Sorry this review is a year old, but I've been meaning to write it. My husband & I stayed 3 weekend nights at the Savoy after 4 nights in a great luxury hotel in Rome, so our expectations were very high. At the Savoy, we could not have asked for a better location, staff & room.

TIP 1: I read a tip from a travel book & requested a room with a balcony and without hestitating they accomodated. They gave us a choice of having a room with a Duomo view or a Piazza view. We chose the Piazza view. If you are a light sleeper, choose the Duomo view because the Piazza is bustling almost every night until 2-3 am. If you want romantic, choose the Piazza side because you will hear wonderful street music every night.

TIP 2: Take advantage of the Concierge. The Concierge got us special passes to see The David & The Uffizi without having to wait in line. He ordered our train tickets to Venice. He was especially helpful when I got pickpocketed. He gave me all the local numbers to credit card companies and arranged for our transportation to the Police Station to file a police report. All this for a discretionary tip.

NON-HOTEL RELATED TIP: Don't get pickpocketed. After not having any incidents in Rome I was pretty lax with my belongings. So, beware when a lot of people are around. They are very good they got me when my husband was right at my side.

Anyways, out of the 4 hotels we stayed at in Italy, the Savoy was definitely my favorite.

I've posted photos with views from our balcony.

• Stayed: October 2004
20  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 26, 2005

Had high expectations of this place based on several things and was overall let down. Some staff surly while others downright rude. Service overall was spotty at best. Restaurant food was well below most Tuscan food we have had in other parts of Florence. Concierge restaurant recommendations were well below average and quite disappointing really. Think I would stay at the Excelsior again next time.

• Stayed: October 2005
9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
London
Reviewed August 31, 2005

I have just returned from four amazing day's at the hotel Savoy Florence
I was a little apprehensive as it was the first time in Florence a forty something female on her first lone trip.
I need not have worried, the Savoy is without question a beautiful contemporary hotel. However what makes it stand out is the incredible staff.
All the Receptionist with warm greetings and advice, the Concierge Alexander, who organized my walking guide and booked all my museum visits.
Fabiana the guide, who gave me a very comprehensive history lesson.

The waiting staff bar none made me welcome and relaxed while dining alone. The food and wine list is excellent.
Annika the delightful housekeeper and all her team that catered to my every need.
I can’t recommend this hotel highly enough.

In contrast I decided to have dinner at the Villa San Michelle.
I had heard so much about the magnificent view; I wanted to get a feel of the place for a future visit.
When I arrived the stiff and unfriendly receptionist barely acknowledge me.
When I told him I had a dinner reservation; he did not show me into the dining room merely pointing the way, (no one else was in reception) so he had no excuse.
The waiting staffs were so formal it was a most unpleasant experience.
It was such a relief to return to the smiling faces at the Savoy.

• Stayed: August 2005
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 15, 2005

This was the first stop for my 40th birthday - and what an excellent choice. There was nothing you could fault about our stay. The room was immaculate and very comfortable. We even took photos of the corridors because they as stunning as the room. The staff were very helpful. Location perfect. Can't imagine going back to Florence and staying anywhere else.

• Stayed: September 2004
9  Thank suzigun
Reviewed August 1, 2005

We stayed for several days including Easter. Very nice hotel and very very centrally located. Steps from the Duomo. Nice rooms although they were a bit small as are a lot of rooms in Italy. We had a room on the square (Palazo de Republica?) and it was neat but the Italians never go to bed so it was noisy! Our girls had a room across the hall and that is probably where we would stay next time. Great staff. Very clean hotel right in the heart of it all.

The hotel recommended a tour guide that was incredible. Private tour from Simone whos family has lived in Florence since the 1200's and he really knew his stuff. We took a architectural/art tour and it was very insightful. I would highly recommend it. Great history lesson.

The hotel staff also told us about the Easter Sunday activities in Florence - the "Exploding of the Cart" which happens on Easter before Mass. We just so happened to be there on the 900th anniversary of it. Spectacular. We may go back next Easter for it.

We felt like we had the best seats in the house in downtown florence. I would highly recommend it.

• Stayed: March 2005