“Excellent Location”
Review of Hotel Hermitage

Hotel Hermitage
Ranked #65 of 411 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed February 23, 2013

We had a lovely 5 night stay in the Hermitage in January. Brilliant location, right next to the Ponte Vecchio with major sights within walking distance, you couldn't find a better location for visiting Florence. Friendly helpful staff, a lovely continental breakfast each morning, comfortable rooms; it was real haven at the end of a long day of walking and sight seeing in the rain.

We had a family room (two adults and 2 children, 1 a teenager) on the 2nd floor which looked over the piazza behind the hotel. Although tight there was more than enough room for the four of us. The breakfast room is on the 5th floor with beautiful views over the roof tops of Florence. If you stay here make sure you go up to the sundeck on the roof to enjoy splendid views across Florence.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Flintstones123

Reviewed February 23, 2013

We selected this hotel based on TA reviews. The location, right near the Ponte Vecchio was ideal, and everything we wanted to see in Florence was within walking distance, though we did take taxis to/from SMN train station, because of our luggage. The value for the hotel was great, and the breakfast had many items to choose from, though we only took advantage of it once.

The bedroom itself (a deluxe double) was clean & small but standard for European standards. The bathroom was large, warm water was plentiful, and the heater in the room was easily controlled. The building is old (obviously) and the windows are not well sealed--because of this I still had to use two extra blankets in addition to the heater, and we were awakened by so much noise each night. Based on some of the other reviews, we were glad to have received a room not facing the river, but the courtyard our room overlooked was almost more loud as the sound seemed to echo and funnel up to our 4th floor room. We heard voices all nights, as the concert hall in the courtyard emptied, alarms sounding (car or building?), garbage trucks, street cleaners, barking dogs, and anything else you could think of. I brought earplugs, and used them religiously, and still had rough sleep each night. It was a little cold to take advantage of the hotel rooftop garden terrace, but we could definitely appreciate the view from there.

I'm not sure if I would return, but if this hotel fits your budget, I would definitely still recommend it, just be sure to pack some good earplugs!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CaRusso728
Reviewed February 4, 2013

Just a three day stay at this quaint hotel during January was fantastic and only served as an entree to more holidays in Florence.
Brilliant location, easy walk from the station and superb facilities and old world charm.
Loved the library room for pre drinks before venturing out across the river and searching for a different local restaurant, of which there were so many serving local food.
The sun deck had amazing views and I would love be there in summer enjoying some antipasti and wine listening to the sounds of Florence.
I do not hesitate recommending this gem hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on level 4 overlooking the Arno. Breakfast was continental, but adequate to fuel up...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 6, 2013

This is a lovely, charming hotel in an amazing location. It’s very central to the galleries & shops and virtually on top of the river & of course the iconic historic bridge. It has some of the best views in the city & we enjoyed our stay very much, Florence is a lovely city, we would happily stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Monkey34
Reviewed January 3, 2013

The location and charm of this hotel is a fantastic selling point! It was really precious in all aspects!! I tend to agree that the "man/owner" is not overly friendly ~ but, maybe that is my own expectation ~ but all our needs were met very efficiently! The property is lovely in all respects! Florence is fantastic! Location is perfection! We had a nice jacuzzi in our room and loved the view from ALL windows! I highly recommend this hotel and the reason we chose it was based on the reviews from trip advisor! Florence is an amazing city ~ probably the most unique of our trip in Italy. Would love to have more time in this location someday!! It was fun to visit with other guests each morning and see where they had been and get their recommendations for the sights to see! Breakfast room was lovely and the food was just right!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 30, 2012

It's situated perfectly along the river with everything nearby, the Uffizi, city central, and Pontes de Vecchio. Decor was dated but classy. Reminded if my favorite aunt's house growing up. The shower was small, but doable, unlike other European hotel bathrooms. Overall, we had an excellent stay and the breakfast was decent and views from the top room and terrace were wonderful ways to start the morning.

Room Tip: Do not stay in 411. We were directly below the office and restaurant. I would have preferred a less...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 29, 2012

Our stay at this hotel can be described as absolutely perfect.From the very start everything ran smoothly.Booking a room was simple and efficient.The confirmation of my reservation was so detailed that Hotel Hermitage turned out to be the only hotel(we stayed in 4 cities) I didn't have to ask for more informative letters of confirmation meeting the requirements of the Italian visa centre.

All the hotels we stayed at were really good,all of them provided some information on their location.But again Hotel Hermitage gave such explicit instructions on every possible way of finding them nobody would have had any trouble with.

The ladies at the reception were most considerate and helpful.I am particularly grateful to them for their help when my child got ill.I was so frightened by the girl at the company my daughter was insured with.(To the attention of Russian tourists.Avoid Rossgosstrakh if you can.They refused to send in a doctor, though my three-year old child was running 39.7.)But for the wise advice of the lady at the reception and her help with finding a doctor, our holiday would have been marred.As it is in the morning we had a healthy child and enjoyed the rest of our stay in Italy.

We could book a lovely day- tour of Tuscany through the hotel.I think the name of the company was Walkaboutflorence or smthg of that nature and the tour was the Best of Tuscany.Just the right combination of education,entertainment,relaxation,culinary experiences and stunning landscapes.I would highly recommend it.We also had a very good guide.His first name was Stefano.Very knowledgeable,amusing and kind.

Back to the hotel.You can't beat its central location just between Ponte Vecchio and the Uffizi.I liked the way the access to the hotel is arranged.We could leave and come at all hours without bothering the reception.We had a nice triple for a very reasonable price.The interior was lovely.In general I am not satisfied with bathrooms.This is definitely not the case with Hotel Hermitage.They had everything.Enough hooks,mains sockets,space for toiletries,a stool for a child, good ventilation,a jacuzzi, a hygienic shower,you name it.

The service was absolutely wonderful.We felt very comfortable and welcomed.

The choice of a hotel could be crucial for such an atmospheric place as Florence.I think we were very lucky.Hotel Hermitage contributed a lot to our very enjoyable stay in Italy

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family