“Fabulous location in a Wonderful City - Grand Hotel Cavour”
Review of Grand Hotel Cavour

Grand Hotel Cavour
Ranked #87 of 409 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed April 16, 2009

My husband and I took my mum for an Easter trip to Florence. The weather and sights were fantastic and I would recommend everyone to visit this wonderful city.
We booked the Grand Hotel Cavour at the last minute (1am on the day of travel!!!) after extensive research on tripadvisor. Nearly all decent accommodation in Florence is expensive, and we decided that we would rather stay somewhere central and clean and pay a little bit more than we usually would.
When we arrived at the hotel we were not disappointed. The location is ideal (just around the corner of the Duomo). The lobby is very grand and the service impeccable. The rooms are very modern and clean, and all have their own theme.
The only downside to staying at the hotel is the street noise. If you are a light sleeper, this would be a problem. As we did lots of walking we were tired most nights and thus did not find it difficult to sleep. Would I stay here again and recommend the hotel to friends??? Definitely!!! Only maybe take some earplugs.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family

Reviewed December 5, 2008

I stayed here two nights on a business trip and, warned by previous reviews on Trip Advisor, asked for a room on a floor well away from street level noise. Unfortunately my room was just below the breakfast room and I was awoken very early each morning with chairs being scraped across the floor above. The staff were also very noisy in the corridors and were even hoovering the corridor at 8 am in the morning (surely no hotel should need to do this!) So this is not a hotel to choose if you like to lie in in the morning. However, the room itself was very smart, bright and charming and the reception staff were also very charming (perhaps they sacked the last lot cos of comments on Trip Advisor!) However, there was a rather unpleasant smell in reception which I couldn't (and didn't really want to) place... The location of the hotel can't be faulted but, overall, next time I'd try another central hotel.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed December 2, 2008

Just returned from Florence after a six day stay at this hotel.
I recommend it for it's location. We walked to the sights, ate at the restaurants nearby and found them reasonable and pretty good. The front desk staff and others were professional , helpful and friendly. The room small but clean, warm and comfortable. They could use a shelf in the bathroom, but water was hot and plumbing good. There is the typical noise of a city and it can be loud, but you are in a city.
I made a real find -- a supermarket-- not too far --prices for water 35 euro, coke 85 euro and wine, crackers.
Take any street that leads to Santa Croce- to Via de Benci .Facing Santa Croce turn right, go to Corso Tintori - turn left -middle of the block on the left side, you find the market. 18/24
We enjoyed the whole Florence experience.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 1, 2008

Price was right, location to most museums was perfect. Most of the desl staff is a bit unwilling to extend any energy into engage with the customer.

We stayed 4 nights, the night before we left was the worst I have ever expereinced. The hotel neglects to warn you that they share a courtyard with private apartments. It was a Friday and loud, very loud music was echoing up the courtyard to prolbably the entire hotel. I could hear it in the halls!

I called to complain,but the staff was unwilling to take any action to get the noise to stop. They offered to move us, but that wouldn't have made any difference.I asked to speak to the manager, and the young woman at the desk said that she went home and that it would help because we were checking out in the morning before the manger would be back.

There are more reasons not to stay than to decide to stay, but this one event is enough.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed October 2, 2008

I spent one night in the hotel in my first visit to Florence. The hotel has a great location, just steps from the most important atractions. The room was renewed, clean and with elegant and classic furniture. The beds are excellent and breakfast superb. The only thing i didn't like was the reception desk attendants. They don't really make any effort to give you any help.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 1, 2008

We were on a tour group and I specifically picked the date of this tour so we could stay at the centrally located Cavour. It is a fantastic location. The room we got was extremely nice, however, smelled of paint, toilet didn't work and shower was broken. We did have a lovely corner room which gave us 2 windows, however, it was extremely loud with street noise, cars, street cleaners, etc, louder than anything I have ever heard due to being on the 1st floor in the front facing the street. We were going to ask to be moved, however, we didn't know what we would get so we stayed. I never slept. Since it was only 1 more night we were staying, we just kept the same room. They fixed the toilet and shower, but the noise was aweful, albeit, lesser than the night before. The breakfast was worse I have ever seen and I usually don't complain about the breakfasts since I have travelled alot and have been on many tours. I usually find something I like. I just had tea both days with a roll and butter. Terrible breakfst. It is a shame they cannot do something about the noise and breakfast, because the hotel is pretty nice and you cannot get a better location.

• Stayed: September 2008
Reviewed September 23, 2008

The Hotel Cavour was perfect for a visit to Florence. It was a good price and conveniently located. Their breakfast was great, our room was modern and clean, and looked like it had been recently rehabbed.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple