Museo Galileo - Institute and Museum of the History of Science
Ranked #41 of 609 things to do in Florence
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Housed in an old palace that was restored in the mid-1800s, this science museum houses an impressive collection of scientific instruments dating from the 13th century.
Reviewed September 2, 2013

My family of four - two adults and two kids ages 12 and 14 --really enjoyed this museum. It's been redone since I last visited in the 1990's. I had remembered Galileo's middle finger in a reliquary and thought it was just so hilarious, I wanted to show it to my kids. However, the real draws here are the amazing scientic instruments and equipment. It's just so amazing to realize how advanced these scientists were back in the 13th, 14th, and 15th centuries! We rented the videoguides for 5 euros and felt they enhanced our understanding of the exhibits. Beware, the staff here are just terrible; they are not knowledgeable about the equipment and are unwilling to provide help if your videoguide dies unexpectedly. We had to fight with them- twice- just to get a new videoguide so we could learn about their museum exhibits! Even so, we enjoyed the museum and it was so nice to be off the beaten track and away from all the crowds in Florence.

2  Thank Luciene160811
Write a ReviewReviews (2,093)
All reviews
"medici family"
in 16 reviews

Reviewed September 2, 2013

Reviewed August 31, 2013

We really enjoyed this museum... very interesting to learn about all of Galileo's works. A nice change from looking at paintings all day.

1  Thank WingsOverEurope
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Looking for a break from all those art museums, duomos and basilicas? When our 10-year-old son whined about visiting yet another art museum, we switched gears and visited the Museo Galileo instead. And what a wonderful choice we made. The museum had three full floors of scientific instruments, maps and globes going back to the 15th century, telescopes, thermometers, inclines made so beautifully they looked like fine furniture. On the first floor, there are even interactive exhibits. Had to pull our son away from the cannon-firing exhibit used to demonstrate arcs. There were no lines to get in. It's fully air-conditioned. Highly recommend this museum to anyone, but especially families with children, elementary school age and up.