“Marilyn Monroe Exhibit- Hidden Gem”

Museo Salvatore Ferragamo
Book In Advance
More Info
$50.03*
and up
Private Tour: Artisans of Florence Walking Tour
Ranked #98 of 631 things to do in Florence
More attraction details
Owner description: This museum is like heaven to shoe buffs since it houses a collection of more than 10,000 shoes dating from the 1920s.
studying in SPain
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Marilyn Monroe Exhibit- Hidden Gem”
Reviewed November 29, 2012

Most amazing exhibit I've seen in a long time. Captivating. If you have an extra hour or two and want to see something a little different, this is WELL worth your time. The clothes, shoes, and insight into Marilyn are tragically beautiful.

Visited November 2012
1 Thank kermit74

• Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Florence, Italy
101 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 139 helpful votes
“If you love shoes this is a must for you!”
Reviewed November 14, 2012

A great little museum - currently (Nov 2012) holding a really interesting exhibition on Marilyn Monroe - but always a delight as it shows the rags to riches story of Salvatore Ferragamo - how he diversified and found new materials when leather was in short supply, how the shoes were made to fit so well and why they were so exquisitely comfortable that the producers of the film "How the West was Won" claimed that it would have been won a lot sooner if the protagonists had really been wearing the footwear they had specially made for the film!

Visited November 2012
San Diego, California
39 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 92 helpful votes
“If You Love Shoes, this is the place for you.”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I fell in love with Italian shoes on my first trip to Italy when I saw them in the shop windows. Shoes designed in Italy are works of art. So I wanted to visit the Ferragamo Shoe Museum when I read about it in a guide book of sites to see in Florence.
If you love shoes too, the museum will not disappoint you. You will see that Ferragamo's shoe designs are timeless and many styles from the early 1900's could be confused with shoes made today. You'll also learn about how the shoes were designed them with the anatomy of the foot in mind, among countless other interesting facts about Italian shoes. You'll see shoes made for numerous movie stars and learn about why Ferragamo used materials like cork in his shoes. I know this may sound like I am a shoe nerd, but I found this all fascinating.
You enter the museum through the fabulous Ferragamo shoe store and descend down a staircase to find the museum. If you are traveling with a husband, boyfriend or some other male person, don't bring them along unless they love shoes.
When I visited this past September to my surprise they were having a special show about Marilyn Monroe, with plenty of photos, posters, costumes and of course the shoes made for her films by Ferragamo. It was an incredible exhibit and I am so sad I did not see the previous exhibit they had on Audrey Hepburn.
You exit the museum through the shoe store as well and can study the current shoes made by Ferragamo today. I didn't buy any as my paintings don't sell for enough right now, but maybe someday.

Visited September 2012
1 Thank CAPainter
Reading, PA
724 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3,719 helpful votes
“Terrific if you are in to shoes”
Reviewed October 15, 2012

This museum used to be free but it now costs 5 euro. It is quite interesting as it gives the history of Ferragamo shoes as well as some of its famous clients. I love the Audrey Hepburn shoes since she and I share a "common" size - 10 - and she favored ballet flats - which I love. This museum was worth it for me and my husband even enjoyed it.

Visited October 2012
3 Thank luvroma2
Long Beach, California
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Fun find in Florence”
Reviewed October 9, 2012

We stumbled on this museum and their rotating exhibit on Marilyn Monroe. We saw not only her custom made shoes, but also costumes, incredible photos I had never seen, notes in her own hand, etc. It was fascinating to see a receipt for five pairs of custom shoes in the late 1950s for about $50 each!

Visited September 2012