“a great little getaway”

Ranked #46 of 647 things to do in Florence
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The Fondazione Palazzo Strozzi offers a full programme of international-level exhibitions and cultural events within the impressive setting of this architectural masterpiece of the Florentine Renaissance. The major exhibitions space hosts two exhibitions annually with a focus on important themes and famed artists, while the Centre for Contemporary Culture Strozzina proposes thematic exhibitions which tackle a variety of contemporary issues. A rich calendar of collateral events makes a visit to Palazzo Strozzi a unique experience for all visitors, with particular attention dedicated to families and children. The palazzo is open year-round with a display about the history of the building, an elegant café and the design and book shop Agora|z.
Reviewed March 11, 2014

I spent 9 days in Florence so had the time to do this, so not as easy to do if you're only there for a few days, but I loved the inside courtyard, a really lovely little quiet zone. I'm a writer so sat with my laptop and just relaxed and wrote for a while.

1  Thank jenny g

Reviewed February 24, 2014

Personally when I decide to give myself an... artistic pampering moment I drop in some church or a-far-away unknown parish, glamorous museum, or exhibition of... improbable success , and this not just in Italy but everywhere else -white sands, high mountains, villages, o polluted cities I might have decided to go to. And It's really uncommon that I get out of this a delusion, because in my experience there is always something worth to see. Frankly I must say that I don't like that much museums even though sometimes I'm obliged to, because the best part of catching some (deep) emotion of works of art is to see the real place where their author created them (an example: the 1608 Caravaggio's 'La decollazione del Battista' -The Beheading of Saint John The Baptist in Saint John Co-Cathedral in Valletta-Malta), that in that place 'sounds', 'looks' and shocks you so that you would never leave...weel,could you imagine it hanged up in some museum among a painting-after-painting like maybe just one-of-the manies?).
Unfortunately, many work of art specially paintings, have been undergone these 'relocations', for preservation reasons most of all, but it's still possible to see some of them in several churches mainly, and in Italy too, like 'La Visitazione' at the Cappella Capponi -Church of Santa Felicita for instance (close to Ponte Vecchio, Arno's left shore), one of the best and hearth-warming frescoes of Pontormo, one of the two famous and painters -the other is 'Rosso Fiorentino' - interpreters (inventors?) of the Florence Renaissance's so-called (by the history of art people) Mannerism (1520, more or less).
The other Pontormo's 'Visitazione' worth to see where it has been conceived is in the Florence's outskirts, an altar piece in San Michele di Carmignano, but from March8 to July 20 relocated completely restored- among many other 'productions' incoming from allover the world of these two 'stars' od the Reanissance ("Pontormo & Rosso Fiorentino - Diverging Paths of Mannerism"), at The Palazzo Strozzi.*
*This 1505 Palazzo, is in the Centro Storico just across Via Tornabuoni the sparkling hig-class shopping street today completely tow-away zone...and just two blocks away from 'Il Latini' one of the best historic 'trattoria' in town(art needs to... feeded somehow). Ask for 'Torello' the... big and large owner and tell him the way you'd like your 'Gran pezzo' and if he agrees with your request -because it's the way it shoul be in the 'house', you' ll have something really special.

1  Thank LacustreMigrato
Reviewed February 8, 2014

I would not put this on a must-see list for a visitor with a limited time in Florence, but for a frequent visitor or one with more time on their hands, it is usually well worth a visit: not all the exhibitions are equally interesting but most are well worthwhile!

1  Thank lezinnes
Reviewed December 15, 2013

...is all I have to say about this amazing place. The tree really has to be seen in person to fully appreciate how spectacular a work of modern art it is. It's simply breathtaking. I had neither heard nor read about the Palazzo Strozzi prior to our trip to Florence. I simply stumbled upon this place while backpacking our laundry from our hotel to the nearest coin laundromat. If I wasn't completely in love with Florence before, I certainly fell in love the moment I accidentally discovered the Palazzo Strozzi. I sat down in the peaceful courtyard of the palazzo and just admired the Suspended Tree for what seemed like forever just amazed and dumbfounded at my luck. It seemed to me the quietest, most peaceful yard in all of Florence. Alas, my family didn't have time to fully explore the palazzo as we were already scheduled to leave shortly thereafter, but if I had to pick out a particular moment in Florence which I will never forget--it would definitely be when I chanced upon the courtyard of the Palazzo Strozzi.

Reviewed December 3, 2013

How beautiful is Palazzo Strozzi! I do think that has the most beautiful proportions amongst Florentine palaces. History has proved this as the Pitti family, to show their power, decided to build their Palazzo Pitti in a way that the internal court of the Palace was the same size of the Palazzo Strozzi...the Pitti bankrupted themselves in the process and still Palazzo Strozzi remain a wonderful place. The exhibitions in Palazzo Strozzi are always very interesting . Worth a stop: either just to have a glance at the internal courtyard or visiting the interior of the Palace looking at an exhibition.

Palazzo_Strozzi_FI, Social media at Palazzo Strozzi, responded to this reviewResponded December 9, 2013

Thank you!