“You must stop by and check it out...”
Review of Mercato Centrale

Cooking Lesson: From The Market To The Table in Florence
Ranked #21 of 647 things to do in Florence
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Open-air market that has a cast-iron structure dating back to 1874, which offers a variety of food shops catering to local residents and restaurants.
Reviewed August 5, 2013

This is a wonderful place to get yourself familiar with even if you are only in Florence for a few days. It is a colorful place and filled with great food and other things all at a good price. Plus it is very clean.

I was in Florence for a month so it was great that I was introduced to it on my 2nd day there. Although I was not in Florence to cook I did get to taste several things from this market. My favorite the fruit! It was what I had every day I was there for breakfast. Of course fruit being cheaper than the pastries at every coffee shop and healthier.

I love the cheeses and the meats that you can find at this market. A lot better than the ones you find at the little super markets. They have several places to buy wines, herbs, olives and so much more. I was there every few days. Even if you are not going to buy food it is a good place to stop by and take a look.

Reviewed August 3, 2013

Almost a daily early morning pilgrimage for us when we are in Florence. Huge variety of fresh bread (if you go early enough). You can watch your pasta being made before your very eyes. Great fresh fish, meat and veggies and cheesy comestibles to die for. Our favourite deli is Il Baroni - in one of the corners away from the main shiny packaged and beribboned tourist haunts and just round the bend from the fresh pasta stall. Very knowledgeable, enthusiastic, foodie owners with a huge selection of top quality cheese, hams, salamis, vinegars and wine. Yes - quite pricey (for those of you who live in London I would say equivalent to Borough Market prices) but worth every euro. They will vacuum pack for you if you want to take anything back in your baggage, or ship.
Take your time and wander round. Have an espresso or a prosecco and an exquisite sticky bun or a huge gobfull of meat or tripe at De Nerbone,
The cheaper and probably busier market is at the opposite end of the city at Sta Ambrogio with a proper cosy farmers market across the river at Sta Spirito. They are all worth visiting if only to see how Italy produces and sells its food.

Reviewed August 2, 2013

What a wonderful experience to stroll through the aisles loaded with some of the freshest and finest foods Italy has to offer. Great place to gather an unforgettable picnic lunch or dine at Perini's delicatessen....YUM!

Reviewed August 1, 2013

written by someone with a hidden agenda! We had a great experience and bought loads of charcuterie and pates, everything we sampled was delicious. Andrea was too generous, we just wished we were staying longer or could carry more. I thought it would be expensive as their store was the largest and looked more upmarket but it was great value and best of all good quality. If we lived here we would be shopping there every week!

Reviewed July 25, 2013

Like any other market, there are about 7-8 major things that are sold at this market but about a hundred vendors selling them. Leather goods, scarves, and Murano glass items are just a few of the most popular things for sale here. My husband has been obsessed with finding a well made belt for years. It's almost impossible to find a reasonably priced Italian made belt in the US so he went bananas looking at all the belts. He ended up getting 3 of them for about 60 Euros. They re-sized the belts while we waiting at the stalls. My daughters also picked up a silk scarf for 5 Euros and a pair of Murano glass earrings for 4 Euros. They all love their souvenirs so small price to pay for happiness.