“La Boqueria N°2 for me!”
Review of Mercato Centrale

Cooking Lesson: From The Market To The Table in Florence
Ranked #21 of 647 things to do in Florence
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Open-air market that has a cast-iron structure dating back to 1874, which offers a variety of food shops catering to local residents and restaurants.
Reviewed September 21, 2012

It was like la Boqueria in la Rambla de Flor from Barcelona but better organized I would say. Very colorful, well and beautiful presentations of all products, very pleasing to the eyes.
They have just about everything locally and internationally, made me to try and eat everything and I did :-) like the saying goes "eyes are bigger than my stomach". When I was at the market, I found some products from Asia and other countries that I've never seen at the Boqueria or at other similar markets in Europe.
At these kinds of markets, you can enjoy good wholesome food, all kinds of fruit and cheap. Olé buon appetito!

Reviewed September 16, 2012

I have been to this market many times. Thirty years ago it was a typical "housewife" market where women would shop daily for provisions. In recent years it has become more upscale and gourmet with stands selling items for tourists - such as dried porcini mushrooms and dried tomatoes, rather than meats and vegetables. There are still the "everyday" stands, but each time I visit there are fewer of them. They have been remodelling the second floor for some time now. That used to be where the fruit and vegetable stands were located. The majority of those stands are now outside behind the market in a large tent. Inside the market is the famous Nerbone "Restaurant" where you can purchase the most delicious sandwiches and dishes of the day. They open around 8 a.m. and close by about 2 p.m. If you decide to eat there, go early - seating is very "tight."

6  Thank luvroma2
Reviewed September 12, 2012

Greta place to browse and to eat at lunch time. Great place to visit if you are in self catering (we were). A bit the top floor is closed - my memory of it in the mid 1980s was of a much busier place veg upstairs meat down. But still atmospheric and worth a visit in the bustle of the San Lorenzo area.

Reviewed September 9, 2012

Colorful market with many vendors, stalls with fresh produce, meats, dried mushrooms & pasta, baked goods, coffee, fish, cheeses, and other products. It's free, non-touristy, and offers a beautiful symphony of colors, smells, and sounds. Most vendors were generous with free samples, and willing to prepare & sell edible portions (for example, one or two pieces of fruit, and they cut it up for us). Several stalls near the back sold hot, ready-to-eat food. One of the fish guys sold fried mixed seafood (shrimp, scallops, and squid) which was excellent. One stall had german food including sausages, and several had local food like stuffed tomatoes, lasagne, and panini. It’s fun to just wander around and take in the sights & smells, and we wound up buying a little of this & that from 4 or 5 different vendors and having a great picnic lunch. Get there early, the market closes at 2 but several vendors were sold-out and/or gone by 1:15.

1  Thank HalfwayHome
Reviewed September 3, 2012

I stayed in Florence 3 nights and I was backpacking so I was kind of on a budget. This for me was a great spot because I could buy fresh fruit, wash it outside on the NW corner and head to a local piazza to eat. I did this every single morning and I was so happy to find it.
Every single piece of fruit was so good. I've never had such a good peach in my life.
If you just want to window shop or wander around, it's a great place, with bakeries, fresh produce, butchers and wine shops. You can get breakfast and lunch at a reasonable price and feel like a local (albiet I did notice a few obvious tourists).