“Fascinating but a mess”

Ranked #26 of 664 things to do in Florence
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: This is the richest medieval church in Florence, which features frescoes by Giotto, a chapel by Brunelleschi and one of the finest of all early Renaissance tombs.
Reviewed January 18, 2013

A far more interesting church than the black and white OTT Duomo, individually wonderful pieces, unfortunately a great deal of the frescoes etc covered in scaffolding when we visited, but it has no real feeling of grandeur. It's like a grand Italian market squabble with no sense of cohesion. Each contributor to the interior has done his thing with his own bit and to hell with contributing to the totality of the structure you can almost see the sculptors thumbing their noses at each other in perpetuity from either side of the church.
I too was a pilgrim to the tombs of those greats Galileo, Michelangelo and the plaques to such greats as Marconi but they only illustrate that those who presumed to decorate the last resting places of these immortals weren't in the same class at all.
Visit you should but the glories of Florence lie elsewhere

Write a ReviewReviews (7,543)
All reviews
"awe inspiring"
"works of art"
in 36 reviews

Reviewed January 18, 2013

Close to our hotel, Lucchesi, so a welcome sight to see without too much effort. Relaxing church to look around without the crowds.

Reviewed January 17, 2013

I sought out this particular basilica to pay my respects at the tombs of Galileo and Michelangelo. I ended up staying for a few hours, blown away by the art and beauty of the place. Wandering around, finding Brunelleschi's room and sitting in the cloisters, watching the rain...then, when I left, there was a gorgeous christmas market outside in the square. A fantastic experience, and one of my very favourite memories of all time.

1  Thank Mintster61
Reviewed January 13, 2013

The church is so quiet and wonderful, I think it was one of my most memorable moments in Italy. I went really early before the lame tourists arrived (who snap 3 dozen photos of themselves in moronic poses, then leave without even knowing where they are) so that I can really walk around and reflect on the historical significance of those laid to rest at Santa Croce.

3  Thank MissSociology
See more reviews
Reviewed January 12, 2013

I made a big fuss about getting to Santa Croce as I had seen it in "A room with a View" and read about it so may times in various books. We eventually got to it at the end of our visit to Florence and, while i thought it was absolutely beautiful, it felt a bit of a let down after the Duomo, Piazza della Singoria etc which are all on such a vast scale that this church seems very small!! Beautiful statues outside though and the square seemed nice, tho they were setting out a market while we visited, so we didn't get a proper chance to look around. All in all, this is beautiful, but not my very favourite place in Florence.