Book In Advance

from $11.54
from $57.70
from $26.54
8,111 results
All reviews buried here leather school beautiful church resting place famous italians galileo galilei including michelangelo westminster abbey florence nightingale statue of liberty stained glass entrance fee leather goods well worth the visit audio guide take your time awe inspiring
Reviewed January 18, 2013

Close to our hotel, Lucchesi, so a welcome sight to see without too much effort. Relaxing church to look around without the crowds.

Date of experience: September 2012
Reviewed January 17, 2013

I sought out this particular basilica to pay my respects at the tombs of Galileo and Michelangelo. I ended up staying for a few hours, blown away by the art and beauty of the place. Wandering around, finding Brunelleschi's room and sitting in the cloisters, watching the rain...then, when I left, there was a gorgeous christmas market outside in the square. A fantastic experience, and one of my very favourite memories of all time.

1  Thank Mintster61
Reviewed January 13, 2013

The church is so quiet and wonderful, I think it was one of my most memorable moments in Italy. I went really early before the lame tourists arrived (who snap 3 dozen photos of themselves in moronic poses, then leave without even knowing where they are) so that I can really walk around and reflect on the historical significance of those laid to rest at Santa Croce.

3  Thank MissSociology
Reviewed January 12, 2013

I made a big fuss about getting to Santa Croce as I had seen it in "A room with a View" and read about it so may times in various books. We eventually got to it at the end of our visit to Florence and, while i thought it was absolutely beautiful, it felt a bit of a let down after the Duomo, Piazza della Singoria etc which are all on such a vast scale that this church seems very small!! Beautiful statues outside though and the square seemed nice, tho they were setting out a market while we visited, so we didn't get a proper chance to look around. All in all, this is beautiful, but not my very favourite place in Florence.

Date of experience: October 2012
Reviewed January 11, 2013

Look for the crucifix on the left side of the nave. It was carved by Donatello, and scorned by Brunelleschi. To prove his point, Filippo carved an exquisite crucifix, displayed at the Basilica of Santa Maria Novella.