“So much to see” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #11 of 401 things to do in Florence
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: This is the richest medieval church in Florence, which features frescoes by Giotto, a chapel by Brunelleschi and one of the finest of all early Renaissance tombs.
Nairn, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“So much to see”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2013

Close to our hotel, Lucchesi, so a welcome sight to see without too much effort. Relaxing church to look around without the crowds.

Visited September 2012

30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 57 helpful votes
“History, History Everywhere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2013

Amazing place tucked away at the end of a fairly non descript square. Worth visiting for the tombs alone; our 15 year old son was most impressed with these.

Visited October 2012
Dapto, Australia
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Tombs of my heroes”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2013

I sought out this particular basilica to pay my respects at the tombs of Galileo and Michelangelo. I ended up staying for a few hours, blown away by the art and beauty of the place. Wandering around, finding Brunelleschi's room and sitting in the cloisters, watching the rain...then, when I left, there was a gorgeous christmas market outside in the square. A fantastic experience, and one of my very favourite memories of all time.

Visited December 2012
1 Thank Mintster61
Costa Mesa, California
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Very Special Place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2013

The church is so quiet and wonderful, I think it was one of my most memorable moments in Italy. I went really early before the lame tourists arrived (who snap 3 dozen photos of themselves in moronic poses, then leave without even knowing where they are) so that I can really walk around and reflect on the historical significance of those laid to rest at Santa Croce.

Visited December 2012
3 Thank MissSociology
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“Beautiful, but not as impressive as the Duomo”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2013

I made a big fuss about getting to Santa Croce as I had seen it in "A room with a View" and read about it so may times in various books. We eventually got to it at the end of our visit to Florence and, while i thought it was absolutely beautiful, it felt a bit of a let down after the Duomo, Piazza della Singoria etc which are all on such a vast scale that this church seems very small!! Beautiful statues outside though and the square seemed nice, tho they were setting out a market while we visited, so we didn't get a proper chance to look around. All in all, this is beautiful, but not my very favourite place in Florence.

Visited October 2012