“Pay to enter a Catholic Church?”

Basilica di Santa Croce
Ranked #9 of 648 things to do in Florence
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: This is the richest medieval church in Florence, which features frescoes by Giotto, a chapel by Brunelleschi and one of the finest of all early Renaissance tombs.
Reviewed November 9, 2012

As a Catholic, this one was extremely hard to stomach - though the price was not extreme (6 euro as I recall) the audacity of paying to enter a religous building of which I consider part of my heritage was distasteful. The building is unique, I wish I had done more homework before because there is so much there in such a small space - wish I had paid for the audio guide but after digging once in my pocket was not going to do again 10 steps later.

Write a ReviewReviews (7,107)

Reviewed November 8, 2012

A beautiful cathedral of Firenze, there are several not to be missed
while you're in Firenze and this is one of them

1  Thank DianeM1059
Reviewed November 7, 2012

Great church with tombs of Michelangelo, Machiaelli, Gallileo and others. Gives you a great sense of history.

Reviewed November 7, 2012

We really enjoyed this place and the museum beside it. There is the usual entrance fees but well worth it when you think of the costs of maintaining a place like this

Reviewed November 7, 2012

The building itself isn't an architectural marvel of epic proportions, but the tombs and the works contained inside are beautiful and priceless! I loved the calm, relaxing atmosphere of the ticket are and inside. Not rushed or overstimulating like other churches or museums in Italy (and throughout Europe). I enjoyed the feeling that I could just relax, meander from artifact to artifact and thoroughly enjoy my time there. Their guide brochure was very informative and more than enough for a novice art and history lover like me. There was not a shortage of things to look at and feast your eyes on or places to walk through. I also loved the Basilica's square and the chess games and children's activities that were going on inside of it. I would advise to be sure to stop by on your trip to Florence! I did not regret it for a second, and was thoroughly impressed and enjoyed my time there. Even my young children had a wonderful time there!