“A treat!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Gilli

Gilli
Ranked #11 of 119 Nightlife in Florence
More attraction details
Owner description: Dating back to 1773, this indoor and outdoor café is centrally located on a large busy square, making it a perfect spot to drink, have a bite to eat and do some people-watching.
north lincs.
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“A treat!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2014

I cannot understand the complaints about the cost of things here! It is not a "trap". The prices are clearly displayed and it's not as if people drag you in! I visit Florence every Autumn and have tried all the "top" cafès in turn. In the week I spend in Florence, I treat myself to a posh coffee and cake at one or other of them. It is a TREAT. Anyone who thinks differently doesn't understand the point. If I want a reasonably priced meal and a quick coffee I to other places. If I want elegance and the best sachertorte on the planet, I go to Gillis. So it's more expensive! It's worth it! And the coffee and cakes are better than either next door or other similar establishments, IMHO!

Visited November 2013

31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 69 helpful votes
“Delicious coffee”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2014

On a chilly afternoon, is there anything better than a nice, hot espresso -- and only 1Euro 10cent?!

Visited January 2014
3 Thank maxkol
West Des Moines, Iowa
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Is drinking in a pastry shop is OK?”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2014

It's A-OK when it's Gilli. Located on the NE corner of Paizza della Repubblica, this is just right for end of day thirsty tourists looking for a drink before dinner. If you want low cost imbibing, don't bother with the rest of this review. But it you want a slice of centuries old decor,a mix of locals, some snazzy, and tourists and professional bar tenders, stand at the bar. Do not stand in front of the very tasty nibblings, included with the price of your drink, because you will get jostled. And don't sit down; that costs extra.
There are a couple of places in Florence that stick with me like a song you like; they come back unbidden to remind me that I don't live in Florence, but should. That's Gilli.

Visited December 2013
2 Thank Neil B
Cameron, North Carolina
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Place to enjoy the atmosphere”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2014 via mobile

I did enjoy sitting In Gilli as we were outdoors in December by the heated lamps. We had coffee, dinner, and dessert. My cousin ordered 2 cups of strawberries, and these cost about 12 euro each. For appetizers we got the polenta and porcini mushrooms and the burrata. I wasn't a fan of the burrata as it was more like regular mozzarella versus the usual melt in your mouth burrata I have had in other establishments. I ordered vegetable soup for dinner (I was in carb overload and needed a change). It was decent, and I would order it again. My uncle ordered the steak Florentina and was not satisfied ( of course we explained that he should have not ordered that dish at a restaurant like this).

I will say this restaurant is more about sitting and ppl watching than the actual quality of the food. Very average for food quality...which I don't prefer when I am in Italy.

Visited December 2013
1 Thank AKP14
Harkness
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Beware!! Rip-off!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2013

If you eat here, prepare to be disappointed and out a bunch of dough. The food is nothing special. We had many wonderful meals off the beaten track in Florence. We knew it was a place catering to tourists but we were tired, in a hurry and hungry so decided to chance it. Dumb move. We literally paid 16 Euro for 2 Cokes. 70 Euro for a quick lunch. Even in Florence it was ridiculous. Zip down any if the nearby side streets for a far better experience. The waiters were rude and the food was slow to boot.

Visited October 2013