“Don't Always Trust Recommendations!”
Review of Gilli

Gilli
Ranked #10 of 120 Nightlife in Florence
More attraction details
Owner description: Dating back to 1773, this indoor and outdoor café is centrally located on a large busy square, making it a perfect spot to drink, have a bite to eat and do some people-watching.
Reviewed August 1, 2012

My family was told that Gilli's is a must-experience...but we had already been in Italy for a couple of days and ate well at little ratholes for peanuts. We gave it a shot, and the food wasn't any better than the other trattorie even thought it was double the cost. One of us attempted to eat a well-done hamburger at 22€, but it was so dry. When the somewhat good-looking waiter came around to ask us how we enjoyed the meal, we politely commented on the quality of this particular dish. My, do Italian become easily offended. Later, we were brought small dessert cups that resembled samplers...we took it as a kind gesture to compensate for the meat. Don't be so easily beguiled- each cup had cost us 3€ as we later disovered. No extra tips for this waiter!

2  Thank horsega
in 5 reviews
"aperitivo"
in 2 reviews

Reviewed July 3, 2012

Very expensive candy store. Everything looked good, but for a candy store, the staff weren't very child friendly. We left without buying anything.

1  Thank evieao
Reviewed June 23, 2012

It took over an hour to get my food. It was overcooked and I paid 10 euros for a small beer and 7 euros for water. Needless to say the tuna was overcooked and I was done with my water and beer before it came. It was hard to swallow and hurt my throat. The bill came to 60 euros. I got free desert because I told them I was going to write a review on the place.

1  Thank mafarinacci
Reviewed May 27, 2012

My dad and I went to Florence recently and decided to eat here on our second day. Well, they forgot our order (and didn't apologize), left us waiting a half hour on the starters, and charged us 7 euro for water. On top of that, as we were eating, a waiter snatched the salt shaker off our table and gave it to another table, without saying a word. Also, because they forgot our food initially, they rushed cooked our dishes, so our food came out undercooked. A huge disappointment, especially since the night before we went to Rivoire in the Piazza della Signoria and had an excellent meal.

1  Thank Erica D
See more reviews
Reviewed April 7, 2012

Having stared in many windows I decided that Gilli looked the best place to be treat myself to some sort of nice dessert for my birthday and push the boat out a little as normally I avoid wheat. In the glass on the counter I spotted something chocolatey with lots of pastry layers (did not note the name) which I enjoyed at the bar for the princely sum of 1.80! And it was heaven. I enjoyed every mouthful enormously. Then on learning it my birthday the waiter gave me a candle in a profiterole which was also delicious. Service was friendly and relaxed. Three musicians in the Piazza playing that evening were so amazing (especially one on the double bass) we stopped to listen and people in the square were dancing to it too. All in all quite a magical experience and my face reads 5 stars too as you will see from the photos. ps You are supposed to pay 50c for using their toilet. Worth knowing as toilets are hard to find in the city. Next time I go to Florence there's a patisserie on the corner of Piazza San Marco as you walk up Via Cavour that looks so gorgeous inside and also worth a trial.