“What a treat!”

Ranked #35 of 657 things to do in Florence
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Florence's principal palace was begun in 1299 and built as the seat of the Signoria, the fathers of the city's republican government.
Reviewed October 17, 2012

We discovered that this palace is open until midnight so visited at 22.00 and what a treat it was! Each room has the best ceilings I have seen anywhere - incredibly beautiful. Late at night you can't climb the tower but you can go up as far as the roof - excellent views of Florence at night and no crowds!

1  Thank fandsparr
Write a ReviewReviews (7,406)
All reviews
in 30 reviews
in 33 reviews
in 45 reviews

Reviewed October 16, 2012

As our day of sightseeing was drawing to a close I just couldn't go past the Pallazo without having a quick look inside. This place was on my itinerary as I had planned to book a tour online. I'm glad I didn't because my feet were very sore. So, when I walked towards this site as there were no queues mid-late afternoon, I decided to go in. As you go inside there is a courtyard and fountain and a couple of statues and the columns have some lovely carved cherbus on them). If you stand in the middle and look straight upwards, you can see the tower. Beyond the courtyard is the ticket office and when I saw the small queue and then the flight of stairs (which is where I assume the viewings start from), I changed my mind. The snapshots of the courtyard were enough for my album. Sightseeing can be overwhelming and you can get to a point where your brain cannot absorb anymore........!! I have heard that the night tours are good though and they are open until very late.

1  Thank dinkumpomm
Reviewed October 16, 2012

Just like I said about the Duomo Piazza, it's magical at night. The statues are all lit up, you can see everything without the tourist blocking your views. If you get lucky, there will be a musician playing filling the square with the beautiful background it deserves.

1  Thank Schmoopie63
Reviewed October 13, 2012

This is more than just a collection of art. The building and its rooms were where the art was created, directly for the people who lived there. For me, it connected the people, the art, and the history in a very real way. It was where the Medicis lived, where Michelangelo grew up and studied with 2 future popes as classmates. Look at the detailed carving in the marble door jambs and be blown away by the attention to detail and the incredible number of manhours to create it all. The detailed artwork on the walls and ceilings was created for the people who lived in the rooms. It took the place of television for them. The artwork tells stories and no matter how long you look you are always discovering more! Lorenzo's bedroom is a hoot! The map room, the room of the lillies, everything is incredible.

2  Thank Gordon W
See more reviews
Reviewed October 12, 2012

With the secret itinerary tour which took about 1.5 hours, it made us appreciate the Doge's palace and Venice History. The tour took us to the places where normal ticket holders are not able to enter, such as the working middle class and literally the whole govt, casanova's cell, torture chamber, senate chamber, room of archives, etc.... With the guided tour, the appreciation on how the political scene and how the goverment runs. It is a tour well worth the money spent! A MUST DO!!!

1  Thank SnowFlakes2