“Classic Hotel”

The Westin Excelsior Florence
Ranked #28 of 411 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed November 22, 2005

Situated on the bank of the Arno River and within easy strolling distance of the city centre. The Ponte Vecchio Bridge is about half mile along the river bank from the hotel.

Impressive lobby area with lots of marble and period furniture. Concierge desk very helpful on anything you want to see and gives good supply of maps for free. Reception staff are also very helpful.

Bedrooms have high ceilings and match the décor of the hotel lobby. Beds are very comfortable and have super soft pillows. Bathrooms are all marble with frosted glass door separating the toilet from the rest of the bathroom. Air conditioning is efficient in cooling the room (We went May 2005). Notice on window warning of opening of windows because of mosquitoes and midges. My wife was bitten.

The Donatello bar has a full range of drinks and draught beers. Drinks are expensive but you get a full range of nuts and crisps plus small pizza squares in the evening. IL Cesptello restaurant is expensive but the food is very good. Wine list expensive but you can get wine of the region at 26 Euro per bottle and also wine by the glass.

Lots of small restaurants nearby and café/bars serving sandwiches and pizza. Prices here are cheaper and you can sit outside on the pavement tables but watch the mozzies.

6  Thank evsie
Write a ReviewReviews (1,666)

Reviewed November 6, 2005

We booked our room using Starwood points. Upon arrival, we were informed that we had been upgraded to a penthouse room (ok, it was a top floor room, but penthouse sounds so exclusive!). We had a full patio, which saw little use as it rained the entire time we were there, but the room was spacious and very comfortable. The Heavenly Beds are different from those in the US - not quite as plush - but are still wonderful to sink into after a long day of sightseeing, shopping and eating.

The service was just about perfect - the concierges were able to get us dinner reservations, tickets to the Uffizi Gallery and advise us about the best things to spend the day doing. Service in the cocktail lounge was warm and friendly.

We peeked into the Grand, a sister hotel just across Piazza Ognissanti, and it looked similarly splendid. I'm sure you couldn't go wrong there, but the Excelsior is a very special place indeed.
I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: October 2005
9  Thank critterchick
Reviewed October 1, 2005

Beautiful hotel, great location. All reviews are correct. Stayed with starwood points for 2 nights, and was given an upgrade the second night. The first night the room was very small, but the second night I was upgraded to a bigger room with a balcony and a view to the Arno river. Very spacious.
A personal comment: The heavenly beds in this hotel and in the Westin Excelsior in Rome (stayed there after Florence), are not that heavenly. I have stayed in many Westins before in the US, and these beds are simply not the same. The matress seems very hard, the sheets and pillows are not the same tha i other westins. I did not have that feelint to not want to leave the bed. Again, this is a personal comment and I might be wrong. I asked the front desk if somebody else had the same comment and she told me that the some people have commented on the same, but she assured me that the beds were heavenly beds built in Europe under the Westin standard. It did not feel the same.
Tips in Florence:
The restaurants across the river are less touristy. Went to an excellent one, great prices and superb food: forgot the name but I think was named Pandemonium

5  Thank Escaramujo
Reviewed September 26, 2005

My husband and I stayed here with our 2 young children for 2 nights in August. We used starwood points and were upgraded to a wonderful junior suite.

Originally we had booked one night, as we were staying in a villa in Lucca but we didn't want to just do a daytrip into Florence. However, as soon as we checked in, saw our gorgeous room with terrace and Arno view, and experienced the wonderful service from the doorman, the concierge and the check-in staff, we immediately booked a second night.

One reviewer mentions being "treated like royalty" and I concur. The staff is very professional, yet friendly as well, not at all snooty.

The only minor issue was that our room wasn't made up when we returned from lunch on the second day. We placed a "do not disturb" sign on the door since we were attempting a naptime. But after siesta, I found a staff member in the hallway -- she gratiously explained that there was a mixup with our checkout times (since we had added an extra day.) Immediately she sent two chambermaids to our room. She remedied a situation which could have left us with a bitter taste.

We are already planning a return stay next summer!

• Stayed: August 2005
9  Thank Amy B
A TripAdvisor Member
Boston
Reviewed September 17, 2005

Perfect central location in Florence. We walked everywhere we needed to get to. The beds were phenomenal. Gym was great. Would stay here again.

6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 11, 2005

My husband and I (ages 33/29) just returned from our first trip to Italy. We are blessed to travel extensively for pleasure (no kids yet) and try to stay in the best 4.5 and 5 star hotels. I can honestly say this is now, "MY FAVOURITE HOTEL" in the world, along with the Beverly Hills Hotel. After extensive research I booked this hotel due to: old world charm/luxury, view over Arno, accessibility, and service. Also, due to great experiences in the past at other Starwood properties. We stayed 4 nights and found it easy to do day trips to Pisa and Tuscany, as well as walking to all the main sites in Florence. We had booked a Premium Deluxe w/arno view and balcony - 6 months in advance (special discounted price of 540E/night, included tax and daily buffet brk.) and had requested to be on a high floor (corresponded by e-mail directly with hotel reservations supervisor). We were kindly upgraded to a "MAGNIFICENT" junior suite on the 4th floor w/arno view and 2 balconies due to our Starwood loyalty. I cannot say enough about all the wonderful aspects of this hotel. The decor in the public areas and room are "INCREDIBLY BEAUTIFUL", along with service in all areas that rivals any Four Seasons, Ritz Carlton, etc. Despite it's size of 5 floors/161 rooms - it felt like a boutique hotel. We rarely saw many people at any given time (despite it being "high season") and service
was extremely individualized! The hotel actually was fairly full to capacity we found out but you would have never known. It was so incredibly peaceful, serence, and elegant. And despite it's amazing opulence, we felt very compfortable being a young couple staying there and being casually dressed daily (nice shorts/skirts). We were actually treated like royalty as was everyone else we saw was also being treated. This trip was not to celebrate anything imparticular but just a dream come true to finally visit Italy and this dreamlike hotel. I can't imagine they would treat anyone differently then they did us or how anyone could be dissappointed (if booking a high floor room/with view). Due to curiosity, we went inside the "Grand Hotel" across the square which was also elegant but in a more modern way in some areas. I'm glad we picked the Excelsior due to the more "old world charm'' setting and beautiful Florentine style rooms of rose/cream decor. Our room even had electrically controlled black out shades on the outside of all our windows, though the room was still fairly quiet when we had the blinds up and doors open during the early morning and late evenings to enjoy the amazing views. Overall, this hotel was worth every penny and I would not hesitate highly recommending it to anyone. We actually never wanted to leave and will definately only stay at this hotel upon our future visits to Florence. I would give this hotel "6 STARS" if I could!! Feel free to e-mail me about any further details of this hotel or Florence in general - wonderful city/area region!!

10  Thank travelinspiration
Reviewed July 13, 2005

We loved this hotel. We were only there a few nights but the room was beautiful. Not only was the bed supremely comfortable but the bathroom was huge and very nicely done. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The concierge was very helpful obtaining reservations for dinner. This is one of our favorite hotels anywhere in the world.

• Stayed: May 2005