“Highly recommend”

Ranked #15 of 422 Hotels in Florence
Perth, Australia
“Highly recommend”
Reviewed August 30, 2013

Wonderful location, very comfortable rooms, friendly staff. Definitely will come back. I especially like the spacious rooms, in our suite, very clean and comfortable. We had dinner at their fine dining restaurant, it was superb. I also like the fact that they have lots of books laying around the public area which are very informative and entertaining.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Nancy M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (286)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Slovak first
Oregon
Reviewed August 29, 2013

This is a lovely hotel in a great location for visiting sites in central Florence. We were able to easily walk to all the sites on our "list" - including the Accademia. HL was able to procure tickets for us to see David, but they ad a premium for this service.

The beds were very comfortable, the bathroom huge (good water pressure), room was clean and well serviced. We had a river-facing room with a terrace, which really increased the size of our room. We did enjoy relaxing on the terrace - before the mosquito's would appear!

Breakfast was quite nice for my daughter and I - and included scrambled eggs. I do wish we would have had a coffee service in our room, as I awoke much earlier than my daughter and would have enjoyed coffee on the terrace. I didn't want to wake her with coffee delivery, but I suppose I could have gone down to the lobby for a sip. The lobby is quite comfortable for relaxing and I wish we would have had time for drink!

This hotel is a little spendy, but the location is perfect for Florence sites (both sides of the river) and I would say it's on the luxury end of the spectrum. The lack of 5 stars is due to no coffee service and no method to reduce mosquito's in the room (other than leaving the window?doors closed).

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Chancensam
Edgewood, Kentucky
Reviewed August 23, 2013

First of all, let me say that I thoroughly loved my trip to Florence, and that the staff at this hotel were very polite and helpful. Breakfast was always delightful, and the servers attentive. And the location is fantastic!
But here is the reason my rating is 3 stars and not more: Our stay was from Wednesday to Sunday morning, and for those first two days, we had a "Do Not Disturb" sign on the door. On Friday, I wanted the room cleaned, so I removed the sign, and tidied up in advance by gathering all of our dirty clothes into the provided plastic laundry bag. I didn't want it laundered, I just wanted it out of the way; so I didn't fill out the form, and I just placed the full bag inside the closet to make way for Housekeeping. We headed out for the day, and when we returned in the afternoon, our room was cleaned, and the bag of laundry was gone. Uh oh, I told my husband...they weren't supposed to take that. But then I figured, what the hell: I'll go home with clean stuff, it'll be worth the extra money. When the clothes weren't returned by Saturday evening, when we were packing, the folks at the desk assured us we would have them back before we checked out in the morning. When morning came, still no clothes! Arrangements were made to ship the laundry to us. A week or so later, I inquired via email as to when I could expect the clothes back, and was informed that their records showed that laundry was returned to my room that Friday. This is correct: my grown daughters were staying in the room next door, and I allowed one of them to use my form and room number for her laundry because my other daughter had already submitted laundry under their room number. Because there was no paperwork corresponding to my bag of clothes, they have disappeared.
I don't wish to let this unfortunate incident blight my wonderful memories of Florence and of Hotel Lungarno, which was beyond enjoyable. But needless to say, having 75% of my vacation wardrobe go missing is a huge disappointment. And it's not like it was a bunch of expensive designer stuff or anything, but much of it was purchased new for this trip, a pair of pants had been professionally altered just days before, there was a dress I was fond of, not to mention some new Victoria's Secret bras, which aren't exactly cheap.
I would still recommend this hotel to friends and family, but with a warning about the laundry.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Jenny R
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 23, 2013

Wonderful location in a beautiful city. Hotel is clean,comfortable and peaceful. Could not fault staff who read the wants/needs of their guests and responded accordingly. Would recommend and definitely return if ever visiting again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed August 21, 2013

It is difficult to imagine how there could possibly be (currently at least) another 16 hotels in Florence that rate higher than the Lungarno!

Most has been said in previous reviews but no harm in repeating and maybe adding to some of it. The whole ambiance of the place just reeks of quality - whether it's in the design and the furnishings, the quality of the food, the friendliness and helpfulness of all the staff. By choosing this particular building the (Salvatore) Ferragamo family - who own the hotel - is a little constrained in terms of the age and size of some of the spaces - including some of the bedrooms. But they have done well to keep the quality up and employ spaces intelligently and attractively.

Our family occupied two Arno-overlooking rooms on the 7th floor. Yes, they were small but this is a boutique hotel in a very special location - I didn't expect resort-style bedrooms and bathrooms in the centre of Florence.

The two rickety wooden elevators are an experience in themselves - obviously quite old, but I'm sure well-maintained and you certainly get close-up and personal with fellow lift occupants (4 or 5 only).

Check-in and general front desk service was top-notch - extremely friendly and helpful. Just one example - my Expedia confirmation stated that breakfast buffet was included. When I went to sign the breakfast bill one morning I noticed that the buffet had been charged. When I queried this with front-desk they confirmed that Expedia should never include the breakfast in their bookings. But there was absolutely no argument - they would deduct all buffets from the bill and take it up with Expedia themselves. Sorting out train timetables, booking restaurants - all done brilliantly.

Dinner in the restaurant was expensive for four (ours came to just under 500 euros) but was divine. Service at dinner and at breakfast excellent too. Breakfast buffet was again superb quality with cooked eggs (other than scrambled), pancakes, waffles etc extra on top of the buffet price. But let's face it - if you're staying in this hotel you're not looking for bargain-basement stuff, right?

Loved the little terraces off the restaurant and the lounge area - whether for a drinks or lunch/dinner. Probably best to book tables ahead though if you can.

Back to the room - awesome views from both our rooms! I was mesmerised watching a thunderstorm on our last evening in Florence - lightning over the Duomo! One tiny gripe (more my wife's than mine) - we did struggle a bit to get the air conditioning down to a comfortable level on most nights (35 degree daytime temps when we were there) but even on the hottest night they offered without any issue to move us to a room for one night where the air was a little cooler.

This place really is difficult to fault if you like small boutique hotels where the emphasis is on quality in everything they do. I just hope my five rating will lift it up the list a bit!

Ps - it lived up to its star rating when the two young Indian leads from Slumdog Millionaire (and of course subsequent movies ) were staying in the hotel at the same time.

Room Tip: Goes without saying really but you should do your best to get an upper room on the side with a view...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank OliverPerth_WA
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed August 18, 2013

while the hotel is just a stone throw from the landmark Ponte Vecchio, it is not on the path of thousands of visitors crossing the Arno river. The room's terrace commended spectacular views of both the Duomo and Palazzo Pitti. The hotel's pinnacle rests on its staff in particular in front desk and restaurant. Extremely affable and authentically friendly. The lounge area, off the reception, has always been kept immaculate with the pillows being fluffed up every so often. Truly memorable stay!

Room Tip: choose a room overlooking the Arno
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
La Jolla, California
Reviewed August 17, 2013

My wife and I really enjoyed the hotel itself and the very friendly professional staff. In particular Lorenzo the Concierge was very helpful while making plans over the internet and when we arrived we felt like he already knew us. The attention given us by the staff at the front desk was so intimate and personal everyone knew our name. The location is terrific, restaurant the best, breakfast very good and the room so relaxing.
Thanks Lungarno for making our stay so enjoyable!
Ed and Ann Witt