“A pleasant surprise off the beaten path”

Antica Trattoria Tre Soldi
Reserve with
Antica Trattoria Tre Soldi is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #245 of 2,850 Restaurants in Florence
Cuisines: Italian, Steakhouse
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Private Dining, Reservations
Reviewed May 12, 2014

This place was a 24 minute walk from the apartment we rented, but was well worth it. The menu was 100% in Italian; but the waiter was very friendly and helpful. When his english failed he just showed me the dish that he was about to serve to another diner. The food was all fantastic. My husband had the carpaccio and said it was the best he had ever had.

1  Thank DofDenver

Reviewed April 14, 2014

We tried the restaurant based on recommendations from follow TripAdvisors, and it was a true gem of a restaurant. It is a short cab ride from most tourist areas, located in residential area. I am sure we were the only tourists eating here that night, menu changes daily and is only in Italian, so manager stopped over and helped us decide. We went with items with Tre Soldi name on them: Chianti, pasta and steak, plus caprese salad and all were spectacular. This steak was one that they were willing to cook medium vs Florentine normal that are usually seared rare, and Is topped with oil and spices, just amazing taste. Pasta has truffle on top, and was outstanding. Portion sizes are perfect for sharing for two, leave room for dessert if you can.

2  Thank 115steved115
Reviewed March 7, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I went here for our one year anniversary dinner. We weren't disappointed.
Definitely order a bottle of their house chianti €15 and it tasted like it is a €30 bottle. Great find! We ordered the house speciality over our original plan of the florentine steak. It was phenomenal!!! Sliced steak with lard and herbs. So great. (As a side note: it is listed as a 2 person dish on the menu but you can order a smaller one person portion).
We also ordered dessert! So good! Don't skip out on it. Especially the zuccoto!
This place is off the vested path and the staff don't speak amazing English. But the ambience is great. The staff are ultra friendly. And the food is superb, even for florentine standards.

3  Thank Jody R
Reviewed February 20, 2014

Off the beaten path restaurant, you'll need to get a taxi to get there from downtown Florence and I highly recommend making reservations because it is always packed ... with Florentines. Climb the steep but short stairs (no elevator) to enter the cozy Trattoria where fine Italian cuisine makes your mouth water. I love the tagliata with lardo di colonnata on top, charred and broiled, served medium-rare. Save room for dessert, there's always something warm with chocolate and something cold with gelato.

Reviewed January 1, 2014

If you enjoy great service, wonderful atmosphere, outstanding food and tasty wine then do yourself a favor and visit Trattoria Tre Soldi.

We were on the fence about visiting Tre Soldi because of its location-- it's not within walking distance of any of the main tourist attractions, which is where we were staying, so we had to take a 10-15 minute cab ride to get to the restaurant... and boy are we glad we did!

Neither the hostess or our waiter spoke English and when we sat down the table next to us realized that we were American and asked how in the world we had stumbled upon this place-- that's how you know this place is the real deal. No gimicky tourist traps here!

We had the house Chianti which is made by Tre Soldi! They have their own winery where they produce their own blend and it was the best wine I tasted while in Italy (and we drank A LOT of wine and even took a Chianti wine tour). I could drink Tre Soldi's Chianti every single day till the day I die and would be a very happy lady.

The antipasta we got was a sampler of meats and cheeses and crostini. All very good.

We split an order of ravioli that was filled with ricotta and parmesan. Thank god the plate only came with 4 or 5 large raviolis because they were so yummy that I would have stuffed myself before the main event! I believe Tre Soldi is known for their raviolis so I definitely recommend trying whatever they have on the menu.

Next, we had the Tagliata Tre Soldi. When we ordered, we thought that this was a pasta dish. We couldn't have been more wrong. We also couldn't have been happier with our stupid mistake. This dish was pure amazingness. It's thinly sliced steak cooked to perfection and covered in lard and herbs. No words do it justice. If you visit Tre Soldi, order this. I repeat-- ORDER THIS! Best steak I've ever had.

We also had a side of cooked radicchio. It was the first time I had ever tried radicchio and to be honest I wasn't the biggest fan. However, I could appreciate the freshness of the dish and my boyfriend, who has had radicchio before and likes it, said that it was some of the best he's had.

We finished off dinner with some grappa. Our charming waiter exclaimed "Best in Italia!" in his broken English when my boyfriend selected which one we wanted to try and we had a mini heart attack thinking that we had inadvertently picked a super expensive grappa. Alas, upon receiving our bill we were relieved to find that it was actually reasonably priced :) Phew!

We ordered one of each of the above dishes and split everything and it was more than plenty for the two of us. Tre Soldi isn't cheap but it was more manageable since we split everything. I wish we had ordered the gelato here... the table next to us said Tre Soldi has some of the best.

When people talk about how amazing the food in Italy is-- THIS is what I think of. Perfection. Divine. The way food SHOULD taste. It sounds over the top, and I apologize for that, but if you are a foodie like me and my boyfriend are, you will NOT want to miss Tre Soldi.

4  Thank Samantha J