“Learned much, so beautiful, and fun!”

Opera at St. Mark's Anglican Church
Book In Advance
More Info
$71.55*
and up
Florence Concert and Dinner
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Love Duets’ Concert: you do not have to be a lover of Italian Opera to enjoy this wonderful evening. It’s set in a small church from 1800’s. You have a piano, soprano & tenor performing Opera’s love song and Italian love songs. The setting and performance is overwhelmingly powerful. You’ll be moved to tears by the emotions. Not to be missed.
Reviewed July 28, 2013

These people are top notch! The host is an incredible pianist and provided a very accessible, and amusing, narrative that explained much. The ambience of the church setting combined with the intimacy of the performance made for a very memorable evening.

While we are not opera experts, we all found their voices to be powerful and sublime. It was mesmerizing to watch the singer's faces and feel the voices (you are that close).

We enjoyed having the wine in the street outside at the intermission. The proceeds for everything go to a good cause so that adds to the feel good nature of the evening.

1  Thank Venturer41
There are newer reviews for Opera at St. Mark's Anglican Church

Reviewed July 27, 2013 via mobile

Im a 16 year old boy, and the only reason I was going for this was because I expected air conditioning and I really dislike shopping with my mom... No air conditioner, so I was initially worried because I'd spend a night in a small church listening to a foreign language music... But as soon as they began all the way to the end I was wowed. My goodddd.. I was ready about te lyrics during the opera and this has put all other musicians and vocalists that I normally listen to shame... Allesandria, Giorgio and the pianist put on a highly entertaining yet not too long show. I really wish I knew more about opera to appreciate it more, but this was magnificent. Thank you, trip advisor

2  Thank Nsc6896
Reviewed July 26, 2013

We brought our three children to see La Boheme, our first opera. The intimate setting of the church made it all the more wonderful. I enjoyed the sense of humor of the performers as they involved children in the audience in the story line. I loved, too, their passion for the school in India they support. All three of our children are musicians so they loved it! I appreciated the narrator explaining each act beforehand. It was a great end to our day in Florence. Dress cool as there is no air conditioning in the church and bring a fan.

1  Thank Lisette F
Reviewed July 24, 2013

I found this opera suggestion right here on Trip Advisor. Housed in a small old church on the other side of the Arno (than the main sites), this small opera troupe put on a great show. It was a very fun night and not too expensive, even with VIP seats (which I'd recommend). It was a bit hot in the middle of the summer packed inside with no A/C, but that didn't overshadow the great show. Highly recommended for a special night in Florence....have dinner in the nearby piazza beforehand.

Reviewed July 24, 2013

If you have never seen an opera this one is a very good first exposure. It is only about two hours long compared to other operas that run for 3 or more hours. The church is really nice and provides for a small, intimate, up close to the center performance area experience ; you will not need binoculars; there is not a bad seat in the place. We saw Madam Butterfly. The program had a full description of the storyline, and before each scene, an announcer came out to address the audience explaining what we were about to see in the scene. I don't understand Italian, so I was lost on the meaning of the lyrics and music, but not on the emotion of what was being portrayed as the performers were very convincing in their roles. Costumes are simple and beautiful. During intermission, they serve complimentary sparkling wine. After this experience, I came to the conclusion that opera, in general, is not my thing, and I am very glad I had the opportunity to experience it and discover it at St. Mark's. On a side note, they have a contribution basket available at each performance for donations to charity that they explain/announce during the evening. I really like how the organization gives to the community, so I was happy to give.

1  Thank Susan R