“great hotel not too far from the center of the city”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Sina Villa Medici

Sina Villa Medici
Ranked #101 of 421 Hotels in Florence
Tel Aviv, Israel
“great hotel not too far from the center of the city”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

this great hotel is like a hidden pearl
very unique yard with a lovely pool
the food is very good both breakfast and dinner
we had a very large and quite suite
there is parking available as well as a hotel shuttle

1 Thank AM3108
SINA_Hotels, Direttore at Sina Villa Medici, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Dear Guest,
I would like to thank you very much for posting your positive feedback about your recent stay at Grand Hotel villa Medici.
I really happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and I truly hope to welcoming back soon for another pleasant stay.

Grand Hotel Villa Medici, Florence

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
  • Greek first
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2013

While this hotel's address is Florence, once you step through the stunning facade (a true Grand European Hotel), you will feel like you are in a resort...there is a very nice shaded swimming pool and you can have a special dinner facing this wonderful pool. We stayed in a nicely decorated room with a nice terrace facing the town's center. The hotel even provides a complimentary shuttle service to the center of Florence but actually we walked a few times and it only takes about 15-20 minutes. Walk along the river and cut through the courtyard of the St. Regis hotel and you won't be dis-appointed. The concierge at this hotel is just wonderful -- very accommodatiing and the front desk staff very helpful and professional.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a terrace -- you will pay a few "pennies" more but in the spring, summ...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank James R
Dear Guest,
I would like to thank you very much for your beautiful review about your recent stay at Grand Hotel Villa Medici.
Your excellent impressions are value-added for us to always maintain the high standards and good service.
Thank you again for posting your feedback and we look forward to serving you in the near future.

Zurich, Switzerland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2013

Please avoid this place. I am guilty of not writing enough reviews, but if I did most would be positive. This place rips you off and you end up staying and leaving with a real bad taste. It is a sad memory of Florence. All this despite mostly friendly staff. The problem lies with less than mediocre management.

A few experiences:
- We stayed for three nights in a room that cost close to EUR300/night before tax.
- There was no shower. The bathtub has a makeshift shower wall that is so small you would splash water all over the bathroom if you used it standing up.
- The bathtub was leaking (not on top, but on the bottom corner) so that as soon as we let water run the bathroom floor started flooding. We immediately told management. No one every recommended we should change the room. The day of arrival we were told to wait until tomorrow. The next day they did something to the bathtub but it kept on leaking. The 2nd day they did more work and left it dirty but still leaking. The 3rd day they offered to give us more towels to lay on the floor (!)… Imaging you’re using the bathroom during the night and need to be careful not to slip and still your feet are all wet.
- Internet access: Not included. You have to pick up a card at the reception for either EUR3 per hour of EUR7 for three hours. I bought a three hour card that stopped working after 1.5 hours. I had to buy another card. Internet connection is real slow on top of that. Every coffee shop in Florence has free WiFi and for EUR300/night I have to pay extra and get cheated?
- Breakfast not included: Fixed price is EUR36 (USD50) per person before service and tax.
- Pool hours restricted: The pool is not particularly big (smaller than it appears on their website) and the hours are such that I could not use it since morning and evening the pool is closed.
- Location: For us tourists it is way too far from city center. They offer a free bus service in the morning to drive you places but you must be lucky for the driver to be there.
- Taxi: They ordered a taxi for us the day we left. Taxi driver charged double, probably to pay the hotel staff.
- Welcome drink: We were supposed to receive a welcome drink, which was ignored. Personally, I view this as a minor issue.

4 Thank Dan H
SINA_Hotels, Direttore at Sina Villa Medici, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you personally for sharing with us your impressions about your recent stay at Grand Hotel Villa Medici.
Please accept my most sincere apologies for the lack of service provided without the immediate attention that you deserved. We have provided you an alternative room and unfortunately that was not able to satisfy your request. With reference to the pool timetables, I wish to inform you that our swimming pool is open every day from 9 am to 7 pm. In all fairness our Clients enjoy our location being very closed to the historical part of Florence near river Arno, walking distance to Ponte Vecchio at the same time enjoys the quietness of the garden and the swimming pool.
I would like to apologies once more and I sincerely hope to welcome you in the near future at Grand Hotel Villa Medici where I will upgrade you to our best accommodation available.
Arrivederci, Mr. Gaetano Torino, General Manager, Grand Hotel Villa Medici, Florence
Los Altos Hills, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2013

Stayed here 4 nights in July. Selected this hotel because it is best value and part of Plat Am Ex Fine Hotels and Resorts Program. We were upgraded to a beautiful suite. Wait staff in restaurant are lovely and will accommodate any requests. Concierge helpful and bellman charming. A hidden gem yet just a 10 min walk from city center.

• Stayed July 2013
3 Thank SEliz1960
Dear Guest,
I really appreciate your excellent comments regarding your recent stay at Grand Hotel Villa Medici.
Your positive impressions are value-added for us to maintain the tradition of high standards.
I would like to thank you once again for your review and I look forward to welcoming you back soon in Florence to live another memorable experience at Villa Medici.

USA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2013

My husband and I stayed one night and were neither terribly impressed nor displeased. First the positive: very friendly and helpful staff, a nice dining area with a reasonable buffet breakfast, a nice outdoor area with pool. The pool is a real advantage if you are staying for a bit during the warm Florence summer. The common rooms are lovely. They say they are away from the hustle and bustle of Florence and they are but it is an easy and pleasant walk along the river to the center of town and the Ponte Vecchio. I thought the location was terrific and it was easy to find off the Autostrada with google maps. And now the not so great: Rooms were OK- we were in an upgraded room but the rug was dirty. Bathroom was small and very hard to negotiate- not much space to put things, shower worked well but it is pretty easy to soak the bathroom if you aren't careful (one of those European half shower door thingies on the tub). The internet situation is crazy- you get multiple cards with access codes to book for 24 hours and it was a challenge to get it to work. Parking was also horrendously expensive and there was really no alternative except to valet park. Would we go back? I'd do a little more comparison shopping first. If the price was right, maybe.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank stampwife
Dear Guest,
First of all, I would like to thank you for sharing with us your comments on our Trip Advisor web page about your stay with us.
I am really happy to read about your pleasant stay and please accept my sincere apologies regarding the internet connection that generally works correctly. I Truly hope to welcoming you soon at our Property for an even enjoyable stay.

Norway
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2013

Stayed here for one night with my husband in July and found the hotel to be a calm oasis in a hectic and warm Florence.

The bad points first:
No separate shower, so you have to stand in the bath tub to shower.
Lots of water spilling out on the bath room floor when having a shower.
Extremely expensive mini bar
No water supplied at turn down

The good parts:
Was upgraded due to being a "Leadersclub" member.
Beautiful vista from our room 120.
Very service-minded staff who met all our demands.
Excellent breakfast.
The bar is not too expensive (15 euros for a glass of Prosecco and some mineral water)

I was not able to check in when I arrived around noon, but I was allowed to use the pool and spa so that I could get into my holiday gear and relax untill the room was ready. They provided lots of information for me when I enquiered abot various sightseeing trips, but eventually I ended up following their advice on doing some walking on my own.

The reason I only rate this hotel as a 4, is that I am not very fond of bath tubs and they had not provided the extra towels that my profile on LHW says I prefer. When all the water spilled after showering, there were therefore no towels to use for soaking up water, so I had to use the bath robe.

And also, they should have another musician in the bar who plays other more typical Italian music and not the power ballads from UK hit charts in the 80s that this piano man did.

2 Thank Jenta
SINA_Hotels, Direttore at Sina Villa Medici, responded to this review, September 15, 2013
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you so much for posting your excellent feedback regarding your recent stay at Grand Hotel Villa Medici.
It is a pleasure for me to learn that you enjoyed and have a pleasant sojourn.
I really look forward to welcoming back soon here in Florence.

Great Falls, VA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013

We stayed here with our family of four. They had no quad rooms and made us get two doubles even though we never stepped foot in the second room (unconnected). Rooms were tired and in need of updating with stained floors, and unclean floors and air vents--gross! Pool and hotel foyer were great and service was fine. Outdoor seating by pool was fantastic. But no free wifi? seriously? Okay hotel, just not close to 5 star.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Justin K
Dear Guest,
I would like to thank you for posting your feedback about your stay at Grand Hotel Villa Medici.
I am really happy to read your good impression regarding our swimming pool garden, it represent one of our key points.
Please let me say thank you again for your comments that are essential to maintain our high standards.
I look forward to welcoming soon to the Villa Medici once again.