“A wonderful experience”

Ranked #5 of 631 things to do in Florence
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: One of the great museums of the world, the Uffizi houses the premier collection of Italian Renaissance art, featuring works by such masters as Botticelli, Titian, Michelangelo and da Vinci.
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“A wonderful experience”
Reviewed February 8, 2013

We felt welcomed and had plenty of time to enjoy the wonderful artworks. We spent 5 very full hours absorbing all that was on offer and were fortunate enough to have time when we were the only people in the Raphael room as well as some of the other rooms. I can highly recommend visiting Italy in winter without the crowds.

Visited February 2013

18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Jaw-dropping”
Reviewed February 4, 2013

I don't know much about art and I don't know that many great collections. But this place shook me to the core. Thousands of art pieces - paintings, sculptures, etc - were magnificent. There's no way you could appreciate and finish everything in one day. And this place was huge you could get lost. I suggest wearing a pair of comfortable shoes as this required a long walk.

Visited May 2012
London
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 58 helpful votes
“Overdosed on Christian art. Birth of Venus and Medusa are a must”
Reviewed February 3, 2013

You will go through endless room of Madonnas and Christian art but at some point you will see the Birth of Venus, and next to it is a sculpture representing the painting. Even if you are blessed with the gift of sight, just close your eyes and run your fingers on it and you will have had a visual and sensory experience of the painting. The Medusa is equally striking and for me it was well worth the visit.
Try booking ahead of time as to avoid the queue on the day

Visited October 2012
Reading, PA
724 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3,719 helpful votes
“Buy the Firenze Pass”
Reviewed February 3, 2013

The 72 hour Firenze Pass is a great buy if you plan to visit a number of museums in Florence and have at least 72 hours there. We bought the pass at the tourist information center. It costs €50. The 72 hours starts the first time you use it. It is good for all of the state museums in Florence. You may only visit each museum one time. What is really great is you skip the lines and go right in - even at the Uffizi and the Accademia - without having to spend extra for a reservation. With this pass, you go right to the "reservation" line.

The Uffizi is an incredible museum. There is just so much to see. Try to get there first thing in the morning - or late at night when it is open in the evenings - to avoid the tour groups. At the moment, they are doing major renovations and it was like a maze trying to find the exit. However, this is one of the world's best museums and a definite "must see" in Florence.

Visited January 2013
10 Thank luvroma2
Seattle, Washington
75 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 74 helpful votes
“Couldn't they make this easier?”
Reviewed February 2, 2013

This is the greatest collection of Florentine Renaissance painting in the world. Botticelli's Venus and Primavera are here. Madonnas by Cimabue, Giotto and Duccio all in one room. Really, the art could not be better. So, why only three stars? The experience.

First mistake - we came in July, with the rest of the planet. But at least we had paid the substantial fee to purchase timed tickets. My cousin and I had 12:15 tickets; our husbands & children would be joining us at 1:30. So we stood in the line for internet-reserved tickets (same line we'd stood in successfully at the Accademia a day earlier) only to find after some time that no, we were supposed to go to door #2 first & exchange our internet printouts for real tickets. So we went to the other side of the courtyard to stand in another line so that we then return to stand in the first line. Finally we were in, going thru another line for the metal detector, another to check bags, then yet another to go through a turnstile & enter the lower level of the museum - a small drawings show - and needed the tickets one more time to get thru another turnstile that got us up to the Giotto floor. OK, heavenly paintings, heavy sigh.

We called our husbands to tell them about the rigamarole & which line to stand in first. Unfortunately, somewhere between the metal detector and the bag check, my husband lost his ticket. He tried to explain this to a guard, who told him to go outside & stand in the endless "no internet reservation" line. Apparently they almost came to blows. My cousin's husband continued upstairs with all the kids once my husband gave up, furious. Anyway, I took my cousin's ticket, went downstairs, & with some sleight of hand & my excellent Italian, I explained, apparently to the same employee who was ready to punch him earlier, that my husband and I had gotten separated & I had his ticket. He waved us right through the turnstile. Still, the stress of this whole experience kind of ruined the museum for the two men. I am the biggest art lover & stayed in the Uffizi the longest, finally coming across the Madonna of the Harpies, but then I had a really difficult time finding the way out. It just required what seemed like another half mile walk. I know everyone wants to see this museum, & I'm all for that, but it seems like the whole thing could be done less painfully. Longer opening hours for smaller crowds, perhaps?

Visited July 2012