“Will definitely return” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Francesco Vini

Francesco Vini
Ranked #143 of 2,660 Restaurants in Florence
Cuisines: Steakhouse, Pizza, Italian
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Kids, Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Neighborhood: Santa Croce
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Will definitely return”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2013

This restaurant was recommended by a co-worker, and we were a little hesitant to try based upon location (very close to the popular tourist areas). But we were fooled. Excellent food, first class service, and a lovely interior (which is not so obvious from the exterior). Fresh pasta seasoned (and cooked) perfectly, portions were properly sized, fruit and vegetables were fresh, and very good wine list. Unfortunately we had to pass on a tour of the wine cellar, but we will definitely include on our next trip.

• Visited November 2013

• Greek first
Calciania, Pisa
“Eat where the Roman colosseum was!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2013

While in Florence I decided to have lunch at this restaurants because I wanted to see the remains of the Roman Colosseum built 2000 years ago. The restaurant has great food and a average cost for a Florence place. After lunch I asked the waiter if he could show me the Roman remains. .....He was nice enough to take me downstairs to see the original Roman tunnels of the colosseum (where today they keep thousands of bottles of wine) and the parts where the Peruzzi family had refurbished parts of it in the Renaissance!
Great experience!

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Paul C
Salisbury, England, United Kingdom
“The best meal in Florence”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2013

We found this beautiful Restaurant by chance and loved it so much we had to return on our last night in Florence.
Nestled inbetween Santa Croche and Piazza della signoria, you'd be forgiven for thinking this is another overpriced tourist trap. Not so.
The Francesco Vini has plenty of room inside and seating outside at the front and the back. The back of the restaurant is in little mini piazza. We made the most of a surprislingly warm October evening and sat outside. Being in a little side street, we escaped the constant hassle of the street vendors and flower sellers. Street vendors, like everyone else, are only trying to earn an honest crust, but when you get asked if you want to buy a rose over twenty times a night (I'm not joking) it was a welcome break. The little piazza was so peaceful it felt as if we were miles from the madding crowds rather than just a couple of streets away.

The food is a little more expensive than any of the cheap pizzerias but you get so much more for your money. Starters around €5-7, pasta dishes around €7-14 and serious meat dishes at €20+. You are not coerced into having extra courses you neither want nor need. Order what you like.
The wine list is vast, but if you want the best chianti in town, here's the place to come!

All our food, on both visits, was exceptional. The pasta with truffles was the best I've tasted, my husband had seafood on one evening and florentine steak on another; both were superb.
The tiramisu desert was wonderful and the indulgent treat of dunking biscotti into amaretto was delicious. We were given a complimentary Limoncello to complete our meal.

Our waiter spoke to me in Italian as I had greeted him in Italian, however I later discovered he spoke excellent English too.
The staff were friendly, helpful and slick, they had the perfect balance of being attentive without being intrusive. This kind of balance doesn't come easy, and often comes at a significantly higher price tag than the Francesco Vini. The tables were beautifully set with crisp white linen tablecloths and pretty little candles.
We found that by eating cheap at lunchtime, grabbing a panino on the go, you could then save your pennies for a more indulgent meal in the evening, which worked well for us.
A wonderfully romantic place to go, I wholeheartedly recommended you give this lovely place a try. When I return to Florence I will return to the Francesco Vini.

• Visited October 2013
San Diego
“Superb”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2013

Francesco Vini used to be this tiny little cafe selling only sandwiches and coffee. Now, it is a gorgeous restaurant and wine cellar sitting on the foundation of the old Florentine Colosseum. I stayed in Florence for four days and ate here three of those days, each time spending well over two hours leisurely enjoying the various courses. My favorites were the (enormous) antipasto platter (particularly the coccoli (fried dough) with prosciutto and stracchino cheese) and the capolavoro di linguini allo scoglio (linguini with every different type of seafood you could want). My other favorite was a pasta with rabbit ragu and pork belly, but it must have been a special because it wasn't on the menu when I just checked. The house red wine is so good, I never ordered anything else, and the espresso is absolute perfection.

• Visited September 2013
Aberdeen
“Italian food at its best”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2013

A great restuarant with very pleasant service, terrific food and an extensive wine list. It is a little bit upmarket compared to many of the places you can eat in Florence, but the ambience and food were well worth the extra cost. The steak and veal that my husband and I had were both second to none and it was a great place to have our final meal in Florence. The restaurant has 2 entrances on different streets which can make it look quite small from one direction when in fact there is a lot of space inside with tables that are well spaced. It is near Santa Croce so is well placed for passing travellers. Sigh, wish I was back there...

• Visited October 2013