“Maybe it was just a bad night...”
Review of La Bottega del Buon Caffe - MOVED

La Bottega del Buon Caffe
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: At La Bottega del Buon Caffe we have been producing seasonal authentic Florentine dishes for years. Yet, the summer of 2014 marks the start of a new era as the Buon Caffe team launch a selection of exciting new organic and gourmet concepts. In collaboration with the restaurant's new owners, Claus and Jeanette Thottrup, Buon Caffe's head chef, Antonello Sardi, has successfully developed fresh and innovative gourmet menus which are now available both at lunch and dinner. With the emphasis on natural locally sourced ingredients, Buon Caffe offers authentic Tuscan food that creatively combines the best of classic and contemporary cuisine. Authenticity and honesty is at the heart of all we create at Buon Caffe and our menus are created individually according to the season. Today's catch of fresh fish is delivered from the Mediterranean daily, free-range meats are supplied by local artisan farmers and our vegetables, fruit, herbs and honey are bought from our farm in the country. Respecting our Florentine location our menus are designed to reflect the region's unique gastronomic heritage and vibrant culinary culture.
Reviewed November 13, 2013

I thought I would come on and see what the reviews were like after I ate here and was surprised to see so much positivity...maybe they just had a bad night!

The service was good, atmosphere great but the food was a let down. I am used to eating in top restaurants as well as traditional trattorie and when I pay a high price for a plate I really expect it to shine, here I found the duck breast to be beautifully presented, nice flavour combination ideas but the whole plate had a sort of burnt taste that dominated it.

The cheesecake was a little too soft/loose for my taste but maybe that is personal opinion, the sorbet was delicious yet overwhelmed by a random oversweet meringue biscuit that didn't seem to go with anything.

I would probably go back if friends were insistent on eating here to give it another attempt but I won't be going off my own back, it was too pricey and too much of a let down on the food front.

1  Thank Somuchtosee_001

Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

Yesterday, quite by accident we visited the absolute best restaurant in Florence.
We enjoyed their 4 course menu, complete with matching wines.
The combinations made were absolutely fabulous.
Whenever I'm back in this beautiful city I'll be back here.

Reviewed September 10, 2013

This is an authentic Italian restaurant just outside the historic centre of Florence, and hence no tourists - it's where the locals eat!

The Luchtime menu is excellent value, and the food is sensational! It's 10 mins on the bus from the train station and well worth the effort.

I had taglierini con pancetta for €9, and I can happily say it's the best food I've had in Florence!

Reviewed August 5, 2013

The only reason I'm writing this is because I expect to come back at some point again. This was an absolutely fine dining joint (food wise) which was located outside of the city centre and during the occasion, I had the degustation menu. It's truly a gem of a find once you managed to figure out coming to this restaurant and there are so many things that are truly amazing from start to end like the Foie Gras Crème Brûlée; and the ravioli served in a few ways..which leaves both of us so happy at the end.

The only mediocre dish was the starter which i think was the tuna tartare; and it wasn't bad to be honest.

If you are in Florence, do yourself a favour and have dinner here. And either way; I will be back!

Reviewed July 12, 2013

A late visit at this little restaurant is one of the best meal i have had in tuscany. The small diningroom is cozy and very personal styled. A good home atmosphere and nice relaxed staff. A five course dinner with winemenu was our order. Delicate dishes. A good gastronomic idea behind each dish. What makes this dinner great was the smiplicity with intense taste. Small but very well constructed plates with lots and lots of taste and structure. For us it´s not normal in Tuscany, where we eat a lot of good food with excelent ingredients - but traditional and country style. The Buon Cafe has deconstructed that tradition both for the food and the excelent winemenu. The dinner was still authentic and the compositions was in a league for it self. Compeared to other great classic restaurants (often with michelin stars) in the area Buon Cafe is relaxed and very personal in a honest way... We liked that so much that we had to come back.

1  Thank dengodesmag