“Excellent base for Florence”

Hotel dei Macchiaioli
Ranked #50 of 421 Hotels in Florence
“Excellent base for Florence”
Reviewed November 2, 2013 via mobile

The room was clean, with nice furnishings and a comfy bed.

The reception staff were very helpful. When we enquired about booking the Uffizi and Galleria dell' Accademia galleries, they did so on our behalf.

The breakfast was a good standard with a variety of continental, cereals and desserts, and served in a lovely grand dining room.

Altogether a very pleasant stay.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dave J

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
New Jersey
Reviewed October 31, 2013

I am a travel agent and this was my first trip to Florence with my husband and 2 teenage children. This review is long overdue. We stayed here in early August.

We arrived in Florence from Venice via train that I had booked when we were in the states. Make sure you get a PNR number. For some reason I got one for our train from Florence to Naples but not from Venice. I went to customer service in the Venice train station and they were able to locate it with the confirmation that I had. All you have to do is the tell the train conductor the number. We took a taxi to the hotel. We were during a heat wave and traveling with one large bag each. Definitely worth the fare. as most people discuss, you do need to walk up steps to the hotel but they staff is more than willing to help.

The hotel was about 2 short blocks from the Duomo and although it was on a main street it was very quiet.

We stayed in the family area which is just off the lobby and near the breakfast room but very quiet and overlooked the street. I hear everything and this room was quiet. There was a short private hallway off the lobby that lead to our 2 bedrooms. The kids had twin beds in their bedroom and their bathroom was outside their room and was just off our private hallway. Our room had an ensuite bathroom that was huge and modern. The rooms and bathrooms were very clean.

I am very picky about the air conditioning and we were there during a heat wave and the room was very comfortable.

Breakfast was as everyone describes.

Our first night we ate at Giglio Rosso which we had read about in previous reviews and the hotel recommends. If you let the hotel book it for you the restaurant really takes care of you. We would recommend. Typical steak restaurant. Our second night we ate a great pizza restaurant a few doors down from the first restaurant called La Dantesca. Both restaurants were near the train station but an easy 10 minute walk from the hotel. Our last night we ate at Touch. This was a great meal but it was not your typical Italian food. Very innovative menu.

While in Florence we took a 3 hour walking tour with Paolo. He was amazing. He incorporates a tablet to enhance the tour. Make sure you read Dan Brown's Inferno before you arrive in Florence. We used WalkAbout Tours for an all day trip to Cinque Terre that was unbelievable. Our final day Marco from hotel drove us to Pisa briefly, then to San Gimignano, an incredible winery where we had lunch at Tenuta Torciano and then to Sienna. It was a great day.

The owners and staff were very helpful and friendly. I would absolutely stay here again and recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: The family suite is ideal for families with children.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank luv2travel068
Reviewed October 30, 2013

The location was excellent right in the heart of Florence close to the amazing cathedral and other treasures of the city.
The staff was friendly and helpful and made us feel like family.
The breakfast in the Tuscan style room w. all the paintings and old charm was delicious.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Kalamazoo, Michigan
Reviewed October 26, 2013

The Hotel dei Macchiaioli was wonderful. They made museum reservations for us at no charge prior to our visit. The staff was very helpful and friendly. Breakfast (included) was excellent and in a nice large comfortable room. We would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Pdkgolf
Sacramento, California
Reviewed October 23, 2013

Hotel dei Macchiaioli is managed by the same people as the Academia - whose website messed up our reservations made last January. I was pretty panicked when I e-mailed to confirm and discovered there were no reservations. However, they referred us to this site/ Since our adult daughter was traveling with us - I had originally booked two rooms at the Academia - the Hotel dei Macchiaioli could only offer us a triple room. However - it was large enough for 3 adults with luggage and sleeping arrangements.

The bathroom was lovely - very modern and updated. The hotel appears to have been a remodeled exquisite palazzo in a prior life. The ceilings are fabulous and the mirrors and wallcoverings give a truly luxurious feeling.

The breakfast was a wonderful continental and the breakfast room, itself, was a real experience. The location was close to the Accademia (museum) and right up the street from the Palazazzo Medici.

I'm very grateful that the staff found us the triple room on such short notice.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Guadalajara, Mexico
Reviewed October 21, 2013

beautiful marble steps to get to second floor where hotel is. No elevator but a chair lift is available.
very nice and helpful staff and wonderful included breakfast. dining room ceiling paintings are beautiful and our rooms over looked the street. noise was not a problem.

Room Tip: we stayed in the family suite, 2 rooms and 2 baths. baths are clean and new but a little cramped. co...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
San Francisco
Reviewed October 20, 2013

Positive: Overall the hotel is nice, clean and comfortable with very nice staff. However I have an issue with the additional services. Bottom line is make sure you know what you are getting and reconfirm a day before as I did not and I was extremely dissatisfied with my tour, I felt I wasted my money.

Background:
When I booked at Hotel Dei Macchiaioli I received an email regarding "Special October Rates" for hotel guests for walking and driving tours. I confirmed a trip with Marco for a tour of Tuscany via email. He said he was flexible and we agreed through email on 11:30 to 5:00 (5.5 hours) trip to winery/lunch, winery visit and visit to San Gimignano.

A couple of reasons for my dissatisfaction:
1. We believe Marco forgot as he did not show up with our confirmed time at 11:30. Upon checking in I told reception we had a tour the next day, they said if you confirmed with Marco he should know. Starting at 11:30, the hotel had to call him a couple of times while they kept saying 10 more minutes. About 20 minutes into it we were told he had trouble with his car. 45 minutes waiting in the hotel another driver shows up. If we had trouble with his car he should have called the hotel to tell us, instead we had to call him asking where he was. His actions pointed to he forgot that he had a reservation.

2. The new driver tells us we have 4 hours exactly, which I told him we confirmed more -- he also said he was not sure if we could go to any wineries as we did not have reservations - he would have to call. So, what is Marco's service/itinerary that I confirmed? We did go to one winery with lunch (which was nice) and a very short visit to a town, we had time to walk quickly through it.

3. While driving, the driver said he called his boss and we have 4 hours - I asked him who he worked for and he would not tell me. If there is nothing wrong with this - why not say.

For the reasons above I feel I did not receive the service I asked for and the "additional services" were not as advertised. If I were to do it over, I would probably go with a tour suggested by Rick Steves, Tours by Roberto, or one of the very less expensive tours listed in the brochures in the hotel lobby. Granted with these tours you are with a group of eight people in a mini-van verses a private tour but the intineraries are set and explained. I think Marco is probably better for when you know where you want to go exactly and you need to spell it out for Marco and come with a printed copy and double-triple confirm.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple